Overcoming cravings

Does anyone have any advice for overcoming carb cravings?

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Brush your teeth. Chew gum. Have a piece of fruit. Drink a glass of water. Delay it 10 minutes and see if the craving goes away. Take a walk or perform some exercise. Maybe just have a little of what you are craving. Moderation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I have less carb cravings after upping protein and fiber and decreasing sugar and flour. (I eat plenty of fat.)

Premenstrually, my appetite goes up and I eat at maintenance for a few days.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited August 2015
    Well, serious cravings, like I had for white breads and pasta, I just swapped those foods out for something else. Now I eat wheat breads and pasta. Voila! No more cravings.

The, "God, I'd love to eat some Kit Kats!" kind of thing...not buying those foods is a huge help. If it's not in the house, I'm not eating it. IMO, weight loss begins in the grocery store. Also, I made up my mind about what I was and wasn't going to eat. There was no, "Should I or shouldn't I?" I didn't do the, "I want them...but I can't...but I want to!" kind of stuff.

I eliminated the stuff and didn't look back.

That's not to say I didn't cave six weeks later (I had a burger and fries) or go through any times when I'd struggle and lose. I so did. When my diet loosened up a little, I went kind of crazy...but I got it back in shape because I realized that was what I really wanted. Now, there is no struggle. I eat what I want. If I wanted to have a donut or a Kit Kat, I could. It's not even an issue of can't any more. I just don't.

It helps a LOT that I eat very tasty, satisfying, healthy food and not what people generally think of "healthy." It's not plain, baked chicken every day. It's yummy food that I enjoy eating. Mostly. I don't enjoy carrots a lot, but it eat them. :)

I dunno if that's any help, but that's my experience.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Fruit, jello, sugar free versions of things like ice cream or junior pops. But I guess these are just emergency things for me, since mainly I just distract myself from cravings. Or drink tea. So much tea
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I just eat what I want... just a little bit of it.
  • _BriannaRose
    _BriannaRose Posts: 4 Member
    Usually just drinking plenty of water will help curb cravings. Or eat ice. It tricks your body that it's eating and you won't have a craving anymore. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I went very low carb (less than 50g per day) and that eliminated my carb cravings completely. It took about a week.