1200 Calories per day MINIMUM

Options
Please bear a question. That 1200 calorie minimum intake that everyone talks about; is that total calories eaten or NET calories eaten? i.e. I'm "allowed 2010 calories per day. I get "credited 500-900 calories per day exercising (I run/walk 4.3 miles three days a week and calisthenics on the others. My steps are tracked by my I Phone.(probably under counting my run, but so what) My gross calories are always above the 1200 threshold, usually approaching or overcoming my 2010 goal. However, my net calories come in at well below my goal. Sometimes logging in at 800/900 claories. Is this a problem? Should it be my net calories always be over 1200 or just my gross calories.

thanks

P.S. an easy way to tell if you are "eating half your exercise credit" is to end up with your positive calorie balance equal to have your exercise total.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 2010 and you burn 500-900 calories exercising (which is highly doubtful), then you should be netting probably 1500-1900. At least get it above 1200, but you should be aiming for your goal.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I think this eating back your calories thing is rubbish. Try by eating about 1500 calories. if you don't loose cut it down by 100 a day. keep going with that. if you don't lose weight you are eating too much (or need to move more). it really is that simple.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If your goal is 2010 and you burn 500-900 calories exercising (which is highly doubtful), then you should be netting probably 1500-1900. At least get it above 1200, but you should be aiming for your goal.

No reason to be insulting. MFP tells me what it is and I just reported it. (what calorie burn do you assign a 4.3 mile trek @ a 12 minute mile average pace?) Why would MFP lie to me?
    Now the question was, is the 1200 calories minimum based on gross or net calories? You say "get it above 1200" YES GROSS OR NET? Please answer the question.

fionarama: again is that 1500 gross or net? That's the question.

Thanks
  • malibu927
    edited August 2015
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

No reason to be insulting. MFP tells me what it is and I just reported it. (what calorie burn do you assign a 4.3 mile trek @ a 12 minute mile average pace?) Why would MFP lie to me?
    Now the question was, is the 1200 calories minimum based on gross or net calories? You say "get it above 1200" YES GROSS OR NET? Please answer the question.

Thanks

I was not insulting you. 1200 net calories. My point still remains you should be closer to your goal than that. MFP also tends to overestimate calories burned, so take half of what it tells you.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Please bear a question. That 1200 calorie minimum intake that everyone talks about; is that total calories eaten or NET calories eaten? i.e. I'm "allowed 2010 calories per day. I get "credited 500-900 calories per day exercising (I run/walk 4.3 miles three days a week and calisthenics on the others. My steps are tracked by my I Phone.(probably under counting my run, but so what) My gross calories are always above the 1200 threshold, usually approaching or overcoming my 2010 goal. However, my net calories come in at well below my goal. Sometimes logging in at 800/900 claories. Is this a problem? Should it be my net calories always be over 1200 or just my gross calories.

thanks

P.S. an easy way to tell if you are "eating half your exercise credit" is to end up with your positive calorie balance equal to have your exercise total.

Well 1200 is the minimum for women. 1500 is the minimum for men.

Keep in mind too large of a deficit can result in more LBM loss than you would have at a smaller deficit. So if your Goal is set to 2010 for say 2 lbs per week loss (the maximum that is recommended) then:
    2010 consumed with no exercise = 1000 calorie deficit/2 lbs per week loss (again max recommended)
    2010 consumed with 600 burned exercise = 1600 calorie deficit/3.2 lbs per week (over max recommendation/higher rate of LBM loss to be expected/possible side effects like feeling tired if done for awhile)
    2610 consumed with 600 burned exercise = 1000 calorie deficit/2lbs per week loss (providing the calorie burn information you got was right for you and your logging is pretty accurate...mistakes in those 2 areas can throw things off)

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    fionarama wrote: »
    I think this eating back your calories thing is rubbish. Try by eating about 1500 calories. if you don't loose cut it down by 100 a day. keep going with that. if you don't lose weight you are eating too much (or need to move more). it really is that simple.

What? even if she's 20 stone and 6 foot tall, works as foot ball coach? Come on...
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    There are those who would say you should at least net your BMR. There are those who say not to have greater than a 1000 calorie total deficit from your TDEE. But that advice changes if you are obese.

If you give us your other stats (height, current weight) we can probably give better advice. As a male, I'd suggest you NET at least 1500 PLUS half of your logged exercise calories, at least.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're a male, so the minimum calories you consume should be 1500. MFP is designed with your deficit already included and you're earning more through exercise. Remember, the winner gets to eat the most and still lose.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think this eating back your calories thing is rubbish.

Science is rubbish?

Not eating back calories, performing strenuous exercises with large energy excursions, and eating at 1200 is akin to a very low calorie diet.

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options

Thanks

She wasn't insulting you by any stretch of the imagination. But your post is confused.

But in answer to just the question and ignoring all the confusing stuff, i'd say 1200 means net and should be completley ignored as an aim because its the answer that just about everyone seems to get on this calculator and therefore it doesn't take into account all the variations between individuals here.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »

Thanks

She wasn't insulting you by any stretch of the imagination. But your post is confused.

But in answer to just the question and ignoring all the confusing stuff, i'd say 1200 means net and should be completley ignored as an aim because its the answer that just about everyone seems to get on this calculator and therefore it doesn't take into account all the variations between individuals here.

change the 1200 to 1500 and I agree (OP is male)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Uh, it's kinda what this whole site is based on.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Again, MFP is designed to eat back your exercise calories. The deficit is already built in.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me what it is and I just reported it. (what calorie burn do you assign a 4.3 mile trek @ a 12 minute mile average pace?) Why would MFP lie to me?

MFP isn't lying, but it is known to be highly inaccurate. Until you have dialed in your weight loss, start at eating back half of your calories. For example, you workout says you burned 600 calories, you normal calorie intake is 1200, eat 1500 that day (only half of the 600 burned). If your weekly goal is set at 2 lbs/week and you average that over 3-6 weeks, you are dialed in. If you are losing more than that, eat back more. You will be tempted not to as the lower scale number will encourage to keep going. Know that what you are actually losing more muscle then you want and not losing the fat, which is actually the goal. If you aren't hitting 2 lbs/week, eat back less.

Good luck.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    There are those who would say you should at least net your BMR. There are those who say not to have greater than a 1000 calorie total deficit from your TDEE. But that advice changes if you are obese.

If you give us your other stats (height, current weight) we can probably give better advice. As a male, I'd suggest you NET at least 1500 PLUS half of your logged exercise calories, at least.

Height 5'10"
    Weight currently 213
    Goal 190, maybe 185 but that would be just out of USMC shape, a pound a week. Took that long to put it on.
    Status on MFP sedintary, but it counts ALL my steps off the I phone. Log in calisthenics on non-walk/run days. Average 14K+ steps a day. Garmin Forerunner 110 counts my jaunts as 600+ calories.

Please advise if the above changes your 1500 NET minimum recommendation. Thank you

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

Height 5'10"
    Weight currently 213
    Goal 190, maybe 185 but that would be just out of USMC shape, a pound a week. Took that long to put it on.
    Status on MFP sedintary, but it counts ALL my steps off the I phone. Log in calisthenics on non-walk/run days. Average 14K+ steps a day. Garmin Forerunner 110 counts my jaunts as 600+ calories.

Please advise if the above changes your 1500 NET minimum recommendation. Thank you

If you were my dad, I'd advise you to eat more than a 1200 net. Just with light exercise, your TDEE is about 2500. I'd say either eat a TOTAL of 1900-2000 every day or net 1700-1800 every day (but only eating back half of the calories you "earn" through exercise). I'm not an expert. It's just what I'd recommend from what I've read and learned in classes. It's really up to you and what makes you feel your best while losing.
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    NET. You want to ALWAYS meet the 1500 NET calorie amount. You could be causing damage to your body if you only eat 1500 gross calories and work out enough to burn even 200 calories each day.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Swanson83 wrote: »
    NET. You want to ALWAYS meet the 1500 NET calorie amount. You could be causing damage to your body if you only eat 1500 gross calories and work out enough to burn even 200 calories each day.

not so much. especially if its in the short term. Many people practice intermittent day fasting. I wouldnt advise eating like 500 cal/day for an extended period of time, but as long as one is meeting nutritional goals, it won't kill you or even do damage to net lower.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

When I was losing weight, my calorie goal was 1,260. If I didn't eat back at least some of my calories, I would have had to cut out my long runs. Even eating 1,500 would have put my net very, very low on long run days. Being mindful of net calories isn't "rubbish."
  • malibu927
    Options
    Swanson83 wrote: »

not so much. especially if its in the short term. Many people practice intermittent day fasting. I wouldnt advise eating like 500 cal/day for an extended period of time, but as long as one is meeting nutritional goals, it won't kill you or even do damage to net lower.

There's a difference between someone who follows 5:2 (because they eat at maintenance the other five days to fuel their bodies) and someone who is consistently undereating.