Confused - I am - are you?

Options
Hi,
I've just joined the community as I want to lose some weight as I have gained over 15kg since I stopped smoking 3 years ago.

I initially have one question which is bugging me.

Despite trying to lose weight for the last couple of years trying various methods it has been a seemingly impossible task - more of that later.

Here is what is confusing me.

Last week I decided to draw a comparison between my wife and myself before and after one weeks food consumption.
We weighed ourselves at the beginning of the week
Me - 110.2kg
Wife - 59.5kg.

For the following week we ate exactly the same food in the same quantities at the same times, and also drank the same during the period. We also were as active as each other (ie neither of us did anything more strenuous or active than the other)

We weighed ourselves at the end of the week
Me - 111.3kg
Wife - 59.5kg

Now to gain that extra 1.kg I would have had to either consume approx 7,700 calories more than her (ie 1,100 cals per day) or have run over 10 miles every day to make such a big difference in the result - and this certainly did not happen.

So the only conclusion I can come to is that our metabolic rates must be dramatically different - the probability being that mine is abnormally slow. I say that because until I stopped smoking I could eat all day and not put on weight.

The question is - what can I do to check out the reasons for the difference, let alone put it right.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    The reason is most likely water weight. We all fluctuate everyday, sometimes by several pounds, it's perfectly normal.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Nope. One week is WAY too short a time to make that determination. There are too many factors and your weight changes could be as simple as water weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    The reason is most likely water weight. We all fluctuate everyday, sometimes by several pounds, it's perfectly normal.

This. At your size and being male, it's nearly impossible for your metabolism to be lower than hers.
  • mk732
    mk732 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's probably just water weight.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    One week isn't enough time to compare. Also, you can't compare yourself to your wife, you are going to burn different amounts of calories, and have different nutritional and caloric needs.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I mean, it's taking me nearly a year to lose 40 pounds. I started at 165 and my goal is 125. It takes a lot of time, and week to week trends are not as helpful as month to month trends. Track your stats for the next few months then compare.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    you need more time.
    I gained weight when I changed my activity level and diet for a couple of weeks. and then started to lose weight. and then I was stuck at the same weight for a month, and then lost weight again

point being, your time is too short and there will be ups and downs because weight loss is not linear
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You are almost twice her weight and you're a man. There is no way you consumed the same amount ..did you weigh everything

There is very little chance you have a slower metabolism

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTr1JUvEiUU

You are probably mis recording

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Above all, don't let it discourage you from continuing on a weight loss plan. Set up your MFP profile, establish your weight loss rate and calorie goal, log your food accurately, drink plenty of water, and stick with it. If you still don't see any results in a few more weeks, adjust your calorie goal slightly downward or increase your activity level. I'm betting you will soon see some encouraging numbers on the scale!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You can go for a basic metabolism test

Google indirect calorimetry testing in your area

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree that it was probably just a blip on the scale.

Some people with insulin resistance find they put on fat at a slightly faster rate because of the increased levels of insulin in their body (usually from eating too many carbs). If that applies to you, a reassessment of your diet could help.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Comparing yourself to others only results in frustration. Focus on you - you're a completely different person from your wife and therefore your progress will be different from hers. Second - a week isn't enough time to determine anything.