biking with a pull behind trailer

Options
I recently bought a pull behind trailer for my bike so my daughter can ride around with me

Does this burn more calories and how much? Google was not much help on this, she weighs 20 lbs and I really feel like there is more resistance when that trailer is attached!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It likely burns more calories. Perhaps add the weight to your weight, then calculate calories. So if you weigh 140, and she is 20, and say 20 for the trailer, use 180 as your weight. Or, just count it as "bonus", and don't worry about it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I do the same and the kids love it. It definitely takes more work, but I don't know a way to calculate caloric output with any degree of accuracy. Maybe add 5% and eat back the protein/carbs if anything. I just keep it as a bonus to my workout and makes me feel like Superman when I ditch the trailer.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Yes it will, as calories are a function of weight and distance.

There are so many variables involved in cycling that I wouldn't worry too much, unless your goal calorie in take is in the order of 1200. In that case you may want to use some form of online calculator and inject the expenditure manually.