Bulk, get leaner and then bulk or recomp?

Options
So i've been lurking the forums for a while (this is my first main forum post) and think I have a good general idea on how to run a bulk/cut but i'm still a bit confused on if it's what I should attempt at this point. At 5'6 and about 137 pounds (no idea of accurate BF% unfortunately) I really like the physical size that i'm at but I eventually want to be this size (or slightly bigger) with more muscle definition. Just curious of others experiences when trying to achieving a similar goal or for opinions on the best way to achieve this; bulk, get a little leaner and then bulk or recomp? Any input is appreciated!

Replies

• GSixZero
    GSixZero Posts: 48 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    For me, after a bulk I will cut down to 10% BF or below and then reverse diet out and bulk again. I try to cut and bulk as slow and clean as possible, but it doesn't always go down like that. I've had bulks get slightly out of hand.
  • GSixZero
    GSixZero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    And to add...I've also cut too hard and too fast and ruined a lot of off season gains.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm no expert at all, but I do remember there is a recommended minimum bf% before you start bulking.
    (Can't recall it, sorry). So knowing about where your bf is now can really help.

ETA: you can kind of guess bodyfat by looking at these charts
    03484b34b206fc464f32741d997436b0.jpg
    women-body-fat-comparision.jpg
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I'm no expert at all, but I do remember there is a recommended minimum bf% before you start bulking.
    (Can't recall it, sorry). So knowing about where your bf is now can really help.

ETA: you can kind of guess bodyfat by looking at these charts
    03484b34b206fc464f32741d997436b0.jpg
    women-body-fat-comparision.jpg

A minimum body fat or a maximum body fat? Looking at that chart I'd guess I'm about 17%
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You certainly look lean enough to bulk...but if you bulk you'll gain fat as well as muscle and have to cut later on. If you like your body already you might want to just recomp. Or just try a clean bulk at a small deficit. I'd probably be doing the clean bulk if I was you.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sorry, probably maximum. Sometimes stuff goes wrong in translation when I'm tired.
    Still don't remember the number, but I'm pretty sure 17% is low enough for a bulk.

Have you read both the bulking for beginners posts yet?
    It might help you decide.

Anyway, no expert, but at 17% bf I don't think recomp can get you much further.

Eta: this one, and the one it links too
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You look more than ready to start a bulk. Last year I got down to around 19% before starting a gradual increase of cals and into a successful bulk. Now don't go mad and increase cals by 500 straight away. Take your time and build up to it. I took 6 months overall gradually increasing from 1800/1900 cals to 3000cals for the final few months. Don't be scared to gain some fat along the way (I finished up at 25% before cutting again) but the strength gains more than make up for it. It ain't for the faint hearted but stick with it and trust the process. And carbs are your friend for both strength and recovery so oats, pasta, bread, wraps, beans, potatoes, mass gainers are all your friend. If you want, send me a FR and I'll give you a few more pointers. Nearing the end of my cut at the mo but will be back on the bulking bandwagon at the end of the year again after a few months maintenance after my cut. Good luck!!
  • Keladelphia
    Options
    Sorry, probably maximum. Sometimes stuff goes wrong in translation when I'm tired.
    Still don't remember the number, but I'm pretty sure 17% is low enough for a bulk.

I was just taking a vague guess at the 17%. I guess what I was kind of looking for was the range to start so thanks for linking to that post, I see it says 18-20.

• Keladelphia
    Options
    stephxo1 wrote: »
    You look more than ready to start a bulk. Last year I got down to around 19% before starting a gradual increase of cals and into a successful bulk. Now don't go mad and increase cals by 500 straight away. Take your time and build up to it. I took 6 months overall gradually increasing from 1800/1900 cals to 3000cals for the final few months. Don't be scared to gain some fat along the way (I finished up at 25% before cutting again) but the strength gains more than make up for it. It ain't for the faint hearted but stick with it and trust the process. And carbs are your friend for both strength and recovery so oats, pasta, bread, wraps, beans, potatoes, mass gainers are all your friend. If you want, send me a FR and I'll give you a few more pointers. Nearing the end of my cut at the mo but will be back on the bulking bandwagon at the end of the year again after a few months maintenance after my cut. Good luck!!

I'm totally prepared to gain some fat that comes along with a bulk and SUPER exited for the strength gains I just wasn't positive if it was the best approach for where i'm at. Thanks, i'm going to send you a FR as i'd love the pointers and i'm sure i'll have more questions.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

For females 18-22% is the generally accepted range to run a bulk...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    This is the question I ask myself every day. I WISH I felt lean enough to bulk, or could even cut further in order to do so (I seem to go crazy when I try to lose again). I'm doing a recomp and it's annoying. I'd say if your body fat % is low enough, go for the bulk.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you want results faster, a bulk/cut would be ideal. If you don't care about the timeline and want to concentrate on performance, then a recomp can be ideal as you won't really lose your current look. One thing to note, recomps can easily take 12-18 months. Some take longer if you are at a higher body fat %.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Your profile picture definitely reads bulk-ready to me. Go for the bulk. From what I can tell in your picture, I don't think you'd be very happy with a recomp. Don't think it'll make the impact you're looking for.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Recomp is almost never the correct answer is you want to accomplish a goal in any particular time frame.
  • Keladelphia
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    This is the question I ask myself every day. I WISH I felt lean enough to bulk, or could even cut further in order to do so (I seem to go crazy when I try to lose again). I'm doing a recomp and it's annoying. I'd say if your body fat % is low enough, go for the bulk.

I question whether i'll ever feel lean enough to bulk which was perhaps what drove me to thinking I should get leaner first (honestly I think years of being overweight has put me at a point where I don't think i'll ever really feel "lean"). Looks like the consensus is it's a good time to bulk. I'll be looking into starting once summer winds down so thanks for all of your feedback everyone!

*By the way you look pretty darn lean to me @arditarose :)