13»

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @sixxpoint and @kazminchu I looked up the mercury levels of fish and even a frequent diner has little to worry about...unless they are eating Swordfish or Tilefish out of the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/metals/ucm115644.htm

Possibly. I admit not knowing much on the topic, but every single piece of scientific research I've read reported significant differences in mercury levels from those who eat canned tuna regularly vs. those who do not. I imagine the amount of mercury is minimal, but over time it can build up. I'd rather err on the side of caution than eat canned tuna everyday and have a failed organ at age 50 and wonder why.

Albacore has a lot more mercury than regular. Even kids can safely eat up 12 ounces (about 2.5 cans) of light tuna in a can. Albacore (because they're bigger, they have more mercury) is about half that. Albacore is like 6oz. I don't know about tuna steak because I don't like it much and don't remember what kind of tuna it is (if my life depended on it, I'd guess albacore, but I dunno.)

Most canned tuna is Albacore.