Thyroid

I have low thyroid so losing weight is harder... and tips or advice?

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Are you on medication for it?
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    If you are then a calorie deficit should work. I have this problem and it is working for me.

• diroka
    diroka Posts: 48 Member
    I've found that even though I'm on medication to regulate, it's still harder to lose.

But as long as I eat at a deficit AND work out, I lose like I used to just eating less OR working out before my thyroid crapped out on me.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I lost the weight long before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range by following the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • chelseacate450
    chelseacate450 Posts: 15 Member
    I am medicated for it. But there isn't much noticeable change.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I am medicated for it. But there isn't much noticeable change.

Make sure you see an endo and keep your appointments. It takes time to find the right amounts and even then, they change.

Many people don't notice a huge change with the pills. Especially if you're just a little low, there may be no huge change.

Just work on losing weight. Find the right amount of calories and wait. Don't compare your rate of loss to what some computer says it should be. If you lose slowly, you're still losing! :smiley:
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Hypo and Hashi's here as well. A more modern range for TSH would be .5-3. Make sure your Dr treats your symptoms and not simply getting your " numbers in range " bs. You may need to be upper range to feel better.
    Also read up and educate yourself about thyroid and the crap meds big pharma and Dr's try to push.
    The body needs more than just T4.
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Several members on MFP with hypothyroidism. It makes it challenging, but by no means impossible. Just review your logging and exercise. Ensure you are hydrating properly and start keeping records of your thyroid panel results. Talk with your endocrinologist about this and bring data. It's very difficult going of relative information, but objective data will make it easier for your doctor to make a proper diagnosis.

Don't get discouraged, it may take longer for you to find a routine, but it will come. If you need inspiration Jillian Michaels has Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I have Hashimoto's and am older (I'll be 53 in a couple of weeks) and have been successfully losing weight at the expected rate since I've joined MFP.

I credit the advice I got long ago when I was first diagnosed. The endocrinologist who diagnosed me told me to always make sure that I had a doctor who would medicate and treat my symptoms, not the numbers. He also told me that over time, I'd get to know where within the range of normal I felt best adjusted to and to make no bones with any future practitioners about getting corrected to that point.

If some of you are finding it difficult to lose weight, it could either be due to inaccuracies with your logging or you might not yet be optimally medicated for your thyroid disease.

Do as CSARdiver suggested and track your data, but also track your thyroid symptoms to correlate with your data. Make sure your logging is impeccable so you can include weight loss struggles as one of your data points. It matters.