Insulin Resistant diets

claw0416
claw0416 Posts: 95
edited September 21 in Recipes
I am looking for any meal ideas for inulin resistant diets, or higher protien? Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    I have insulin resistance and have upped my protein just a bit from MFP default levels (I'm doing 45% carb/25% protein instead of the 55/15 defaults). You are welcome to look at my food diary... but I will be honest and say that I have a hard time getting in protein most days! I have found tuna, chicken, cottage cheese (but watch out for sodium) and soy milk to be my best options so far. Oh, and nuts... but watch out for fat on those even if it is the good fat. Hoping others have some more helpful hints!
  • sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    I also upped my protein and lowered my carbs. My doctor wants me eating low carb. You can change the settings.
  • mrayniak
    mrayniak Posts: 38
    I follow a diet that is based on carbs - for insulin resistance - and watch my calories - my trainer just put me on about 30g carbs for my first meal, first snack, and second meal - and no more than 15g carb for my last snack and meal. Just add me as a friend and you can view my food diary. oh and my last two meals are my lowest amount of calories.
    I like the Thomas bagel thins (half the calories and carbs), 4oz of yogurt, cottage cheese, lean proteins (i eat a lot of turkey and chicken), vegetables, low fat cheese, salad...
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    South Beach. LOVING IT. :happy:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I follow a low carb plan also. I started out on Atkins when I was full blown Diabetic. I have now lowered my fasting glucose and A1C to Insulin Resistance and I have switched over to Primal Blue Print.

A low carb and eating a plan that is full of protein and lots of veggies with minimal fruit and NO processed foods will reverse the Insulin Resistance.

I am working toward that goal. Trust me, you do not want to become full blown diabetic. I know from experience.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I have diabetes and high insulin resistance. My diary is public if you'd like some ideas on what to eat. As I've gotten healthier, my blood sugars have gotten better, and I've had to take gradually less insulin :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    bumpin for ideas
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Lioness - the Primal Blueprint plan....does it limit carbs grams like Atkins? 20g for the 1st phase and then a gradual increase? Also...is it a lower fat plan? Atkins is so high in fat.

Dukan is low fat but almost 0 carbs for the attack phase and then a very gradual intro of carbs by means of veggies. Is it similar to that plan instead?

The reason I ask is that I need to find a lower carb plan too but really don't like the high fat of Atkins. Help???
  • July24Lioness
    Lioness - the Primal Blueprint plan....does it limit carbs grams like Atkins? 20g for the 1st phase and then a gradual increase? Also...is it a lower fat plan? Atkins is so high in fat.

Dukan is low fat but almost 0 carbs for the attack phase and then a very gradual intro of carbs by means of veggies. Is it similar to that plan instead?

The reason I ask is that I need to find a lower carb plan too but really don't like the high fat of Atkins. Help???

Primal Blue Print is actually higher in fat than Atkins.............

Atkins is really not that high in fat. You are getting what the media says about the Atkins plan miscommunicated..........

This is quoted straight from the Book, 2002 edition............
    This is listed in DANDR on pg 71 & 72 as a typical day of eating on Atkins. No where do you see tbls of co being suggested to be eaten or anything swimming in butter or grease. It's stated to enjoy the natural fats in foods.

" Breakfast
    Tuna Salad (1 cup)
    1/2 Grapefruit
    Decaf Coffee (with half n' half)

Lunch
    Grilled Chicken (light meat, 6 oz)
    Small Green & Tomato Salad
    Salad Dressing (1 oz)

Dinner
    Rib Steak (6 oz)
    Summer Squash (1/2 cup)
    Small Green & Tomato Salad
    Salad Dressing (1 oz)
    Seltzer

Snacks
    Almonds (1 oz)
    Sugar-free Coleslaw
    Cucumber (1/2 medium)"

pg. 22
    "Am I advocating a high-fat diet? Not in the long run. As you increase the percentage of carbohydrates, while advancing through the different phases of Atkins, the percentage of actual fat you consume will diminish. However, as long as you are at the lower end of carbohydrate consumption, higher-fat consumption poses no threat to your health."
  • simona1972
    Thanks for the info Lioness. I didn't realize that PBP was a higher fat plan. I was on the website and it doesn't offer a lot of info. Guess you need to buy the book. I think I'll revisit Atkins - re-read his book.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Similar to Lioness, I'm following a Paleo type diet - High protein, high (good) fat, low carb (only veggies).
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    I have insulin resistance and have upped my protein just a bit from MFP default levels (I'm doing 45% carb/25% protein instead of the 55/15 defaults). You are welcome to look at my food diary... but I will be honest and say that I have a hard time getting in protein most days! I have found tuna, chicken, cottage cheese (but watch out for sodium) and soy milk to be my best options so far. Oh, and nuts... but watch out for fat on those even if it is the good fat. Hoping others have some more helpful hints!

this is a good visual example of a protein plan, however you should tweak it to your protein requirements. For example, a 180 pound person should aim to consume 180 g protein. If you are looking to lose weight, your protein requirements should reflect your weight goals, by decreasing your protein gradually.

Protein-meal-plan.jpg
  • July24Lioness
    Thanks for the info Lioness. I didn't realize that PBP was a higher fat plan. I was on the website and it doesn't offer a lot of info. Guess you need to buy the book. I think I'll revisit Atkins - re-read his book.

LOl, I like the higher fat plans..............More flavor in the food, I end up eating way less and I stay full for long, long times and end up practicing Intermittent Fasting which helps to put and keep the Insulin levels in check really fast.
  • simona1972
    You're right. When I did Atkins years ago I was NEVER hungry! It was amazing. I can't remember why I stopped but I think it was the biggest mistake I made. Ah well ... that's why there's tomorrows. :)
  • July24Lioness
    You're right. When I did Atkins years ago I was NEVER hungry! It was amazing. I can't remember why I stopped but I think it was the biggest mistake I made. Ah well ... that's why there's tomorrows. :)

Yes, I like that amazing part of it too...........

Like today, i went with my co-workers to a local mexican restaurant and ordered a Taco salad with Chicken fajita meat............I only ate about half of it due to be full, very full...............I actually over ate. i will be full for hours and hours on end.

And the other good thing I mentioned in the post last night was that even though Phase 1 starts out as a bit higher fat, as you start adding in carbs (the right kind of carbs) and move up the carb ladder and the different Phases, the fat content goes down and you are actually eat a very natural and balanced way. That sets a person up for successful Maintenance.

I maintained a 100 pound loss for 5 years. I gained most of that weight back when I relocated from Virginia to Illinois and had no health insurance to treat my thyroid issues.............so I gained back about a pound per week for almost 2 years.

I live near St Louis now with good health insurance, so I am going to the Endocrinologist next week to hopefully get the help I need.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member

this is a good visual example of a protein plan, however you should tweak it to your protein requirements. For example, a 180 pound person should aim to consume 180 g protein. If you are looking to lose weight, your protein requirements should reflect your weight goals, by decreasing your protein gradually.

Protein-meal-plan.jpg

Seriously? You are really going to tell me that I need 230 g of protein A DAY? Out of my 1600 calorie allowance that comes out to over half of my daily intake of calories. If I were looking to lose more than 1 lb a week my calorie allowance would be at 1200 and by your recommendations I'd be consuming over 75% of my calories from protein. That is absolutely insane, not to mention expensive! I haven't seen anyone hit much over 100 yet without doing some kind of protein shake supplementation... and I can't think that we were meant to use protein supplements to be able to get an adequate amount of protein in our diet to be healthy.
  • July24Lioness

Protein-meal-plan.jpg

Seriously? You are really going to tell me that I need 230 g of protein A DAY? Out of my 1600 calorie allowance that comes out to over half of my daily intake of calories. If I were looking to lose more than 1 lb a week my calorie allowance would be at 1200 and by your recommendations I'd be consuming over 75% of my calories from protein. That is absolutely insane, not to mention expensive! I haven't seen anyone hit much over 100 yet without doing some kind of protein shake supplementation... and I can't think that we were meant to use protein supplements to be able to get an adequate amount of protein in our diet to be healthy.

Actually Protein and Fats (natural occurring fats) work very fast to control and stabilize blood sugar.............

That is why Low Carb Lifestyles such as Primal Blue Print, Atkins, South Beach, Protein Power, etc work so well with people that are Insulin Resistant or Full blown Diabetic............

Right now I get about 60% of my calories from Fat, 30% from Protein and 10% from Carbs...........

I now have Fasting Glucose numbers in the mid 90's, which is Insulin Resistance and No longer Diabetic. I am working to now reverse Insulin Resistance. It will take about 6 months to a year to successfully reverse it.

I am shooting for Fasting Glucose #'s in the Mid 80's and an A1C of less than 5.2%.............
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member

Protein-meal-plan.jpg

Actually Protein and Fats (natural occurring fats) work very fast to control and stabilize blood sugar.............

That is why Low Carb Lifestyles such as Primal Blue Print, Atkins, South Beach, Protein Power, etc work so well with people that are Insulin Resistant or Full blown Diabetic............

Right now I get about 60% of my calories from Fat, 30% from Protein and 10% from Carbs...........

I now have Fasting Glucose numbers in the mid 90's, which is Insulin Resistance and No longer Diabetic. I am working to now reverse Insulin Resistance. It will take about 6 months to a year to successfully reverse it.

I am shooting for Fasting Glucose #'s in the Mid 80's and an A1C of less than 5.2%.............
    So if my A1C has been 5.0 for quite awhile now, it means I"m no longer diabetic? I had thought once diagnoised you were always one. Which I wasn't crazy about I must say. I didn't realize you could reverse it or that if your numbers (A1C and such) were in the normal range you were no longer considered diabetic. Always lots to learn here:happy:
  • shagybear33
    shagybear33 Posts: 272
    Hi there!!

just throwing out another idea for ya.

I too have to limit my carbs or else I don't feel well and really have trouble losing weight, even gaining it while keeping within a calorie allotment.

I have been doing the Belly Fat Cure by Jorge Cruise. It is along the same lines as Atkins, South Beach etc with a couple changes. He uses what's called the Carb Swap System (Copyrighted). Throughout the day you are allowed to have 6 servings of carbs. A serving is 5-20 grams of carbs, two servings is 21-40 grams of carbs etc. You must also limit your sugar intake to 15 grams of sugar or less.

You don't count protein or fats. The "Good for you" fats are recommended. No fat free dressing and real butter is allowed. It's an amazing plan and very easy to follow.

If you google it, you should find a link to his site. If you sign up for the free newsletter I believe you get a PDF copy of his plan (short version of course).

There's a also a Facebook Group, just add him as a friend.

Cheers!
  • July24Lioness

Protein-meal-plan.jpg

So if my A1C has been 5.0 for quite awhile now, it means I"m no longer diabetic? I had thought once diagnoised you were always one. Which I wasn't crazy about I must say. I didn't realize you could reverse it or that if your numbers (A1C and such) were in the normal range you were no longer considered diabetic. Always lots to learn here:happy:

Type 2 Diabetes CAN be reversed.................In the 7 years that I had been diagnosed as Diabetic, I found that the Dr's that tell you that one you have Diabetes you always have it are the ones that push the higher carb meals to go along with your medications...............

The BEST doctors I have had are the one's that say you need to strictly lower your carbs, get out and exercise, be active and get your numbers down to reverse this and they tend to want to get you off meds also.............

The problem is, most people don't want to make the level of committment it takes to Reverse Diabetes, that is why most doctors say to just "control" it...............

Me, I want to be as healthy as I can be, so I am going to completely reverse it!!!! I have made one baby step toward that and will continue to do so..........

Here are some reading materials on Reversing Diabetes:

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diabetes-dr-fuhrman-low-carb-vs-eat-to-live-in-diabetes-reversal-print.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Can-You-Possibly-Reverse-Diabetes-Naturally?&id=512548
    To help reverse Diabetes naturally you must eliminate or reduce sugar, fructose, corn syrup, white bread, and maple sugar. People who regularly drink sugar-sweetened beverages are at a high risk for both Diabetes and Obesity.

If you have Fasting Glucose Numbers in the Mid 80's to very mid 90's (like 85-98) and an A1C of 5.2% or less, you are considered to be NON-Diabetic and NON-Insulin Resistant............

Fasting Glucose Numbers in the 90's to low 100's is Insulin Resistant (99-125) and an A1C of 5.3 - 5.9%.

Full Blown Diabetic is considered to be Fasting Glucose #'s 126 or greater and A1C of 6.0% or higher...........
This discussion has been closed.