does anybody NOT retain water after exercise?

Options
I often hear that if you are suffering from DOMS etc, or had a change in exercise routine that you are likely to hold on to a little extra water weight. I have had days where I have had a nicely sore body all over from lifting, but have not seen even a slight shift on the scales (I weigh every day just because, but only log once a week). Although I am trying to lose body fat, I have not shifted a single pound in 6 weeks of lifting (strong curves) and jogging, whilst eating around 1500 calories. I guess this is my maintenance level!

so back to my question, does anyone else think that they don't really get the water retention after exercise?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What makes you think you aren't retaining water?

What makes you think you haven't been retaining a baseline amount for weeks and weeks that doesn't change because you're in a perpetual state of muscle recovery?

What makes you think you haven't lost 2 pounds of fat over the past several weeks but your scale weight is being affected by additional water retention?
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    DavPul - thanks -some very good points! My assumption that there was no water retention is because I had about a 4 day break from training. At the end of the 4 days there was no loss, and after a lifting session followed by stiff muscles there was no gain. I did not even think about fat loss being hidden by water retention. I keep seeing people suggesting muscle gain is masking fat loss, but have assumed that I must have grown very little, if any, muscle in only 6 weeks.

I guess I will just keep plugging away for a few more weeks to see if any mass starts to shift, before I reconsider my diet.