a little conundrum...

Options
i didnt lose any weight this week in fact i gained half a pound. i get weighed at tesco pharmacy as they have calibrated digital scales and a fat analyser.
it says i gained half a pound in weight but actually lost 2lbs worth of fat... is this proof of water weight?

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    can i add that i did up my exercise from 3 x body combat this week to 5 x times
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't think anyone's doubting the existence of water weight lol. Fluctuations happen, especially if you're not weighing everyday at the same time in the morning before eating while wearing the same clothes (preferably nothing). Upping your exercise also makes the muscles retain water to repair themselves.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    im just trying to make myself feel better from the gain. i know weight loss is not linear but im the sort of person that is motivated seeing the scales go down. but the body fat thing is a nice little boost ofn days like today when the sacles are not kind. i just wanted confirmation really
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    i didnt lose any weight this week in fact i gained half a pound. i get weighed at tesco pharmacy as they have calibrated digital scales and a fat analyser.
    it says i gained half a pound in weight but actually lost 2lbs worth of fat... is this proof of water weight?

The scale is wrong

The body fat analyser is bollocks

How often do they recalibrate the scales ...ask to check their records

Also it will matter what you wear, want time of day, what you've just eaten ..as well as sodium intake, change-up in exercise and hormones affecting water weight

Basically I am saying do not trust the scale and particularly not on a week by week basis ..perhaps over months you can judge the trend line

Far better to get a digital scale at home, put it on a flat surface, do not move it ...and weigh yourself in the morning, after bathroom, before food and naked
  • leahcollett1
    edited August 2015
    Options
    now i actually thought, a tesco/boots massive scale thingy would be more accurate??? as its like massive lol the fear i have with a home scale is that i couldnt trust myself to not jump on it everyday and mess my head up with the natural fluctuations...
    i think i might have to bite the bullet and drift to amazon......
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    now i actually thought, a tesco/boots massive scale thingy would be more accurate??? as its like massive lol the fear i have with a home scale is that i couldnt trust myself to not jump on it everyday and mess my head up with the natural fluctuations...
    i think i might have to bite the bullet and drift to amazon......

Rabbit is advising you to jump on the scale everyday (only once a day mind, not every time you pass the bathroom ;) ), as way to get to understand the fluctuations.

There are websites/apps like Trendweight.com and happy Scale that you then record this daily weight on and they will produce a graph showing the overall trend over time, without the misleading "noise" caused by water retention, sodium, your TOM etc etc.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Your approach is whats causing you issues. Id ignore the fat analyser, which just leaves you with the fluctuations which are explained above. Whats wrong is that you should be bothered about a gain of half a pound, when you could easily go to the loo or eat a meal and experience a bigger variation than that.

Fluctuations wont mess up your head if you understand them. Stop micro managing and look for the trend over weeks.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    yea i get it, i think im goign to go and buy some scales. i just automatically though business ones such as the above would be more accurate for some reason.... maybe cus i have to go pay for the weigh in i dont know.. thanks for the advice
    as for the weighin every day, its scary as i dont like the fluctuations. but i shall indeed try it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Do what woprks for you. Fluctuations are just soemthing to be understood and accpeted. If you wnat to carry on using the pharmacy scales then do so as the frequency you want. I went through a perio where I preferred daily becayse it was motivating. If you have lost 66lbs then you are already a big winner and know what you are doing so you have little to worry about. use one of the many apps that track your weight and you will get things more in perspective.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    yea i get it, i think im goign to go and buy some scales. i just automatically though business ones such as the above would be more accurate for some reason.... maybe cus i have to go pay for the weigh in i dont know.. thanks for the advice
    as for the weighin every day, its scary as i dont like the fluctuations. but i shall indeed try it.

I'm a recent convert to this approach (about 7 weeks now) and I think it really does work in stopping the whole "wahhhhh I've been good all week why does the scale hate me" thing. I find it calming.

Also, weighing at home means you get to do it naked and first thing in the morning therefore more realistic than doing it at lunchtime in Boots, hoping nobody is looking over your shoulder and trying to calculate what the clothes you're wearing weigh...
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you get some at home scales then weight daily, I'd recommend using something like https://trendweight.com/ as it creates a trend for you that cancels out the 'noise' of fluctuations from water weight.

So I ignore my daily scale reading and just look at what the trend is!
  • leahcollett1
    Options

I'm a recent convert to this approach (about 7 weeks now) and I think it really does work in stopping the whole "wahhhhh I've been good all week why does the scale hate me" thing. I find it calming.

Also, weighing at home means you get to do it naked and first thing in the morning therefore more realistic than doing it at lunchtime in Boots, hoping nobody is looking over your shoulder and trying to calculate what the clothes you're wearing weigh...

THIS IS A VERY GOOD POINT. THANK YOU.

ok so today i will buy some scales.. 66lbs is not all from MFP its my weight loss in total from after i gave birth to my 2nd child in 2013. i did some on my own, some with slimmingworld and now im here using the TDEE method. i have 2.5 stone to go and your right i might have to stop looking at the weekly scales the way i do. yep your right i do get alarmed. so it might calm me down a bit.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

THIS IS A VERY GOOD POINT. THANK YOU.

ok so today i will buy some scales.. 66lbs is not all from MFP its my weight loss in total from after i gave birth to my 2nd child in 2013. i did some on my own, some with slimmingworld and now im here using the TDEE method. i have 2.5 stone to go and your right i might have to stop looking at the weekly scales the way i do. yep your right i do get alarmed. so it might calm me down a bit.

I like trendweight

I log my weights in MFP and they automatically feed through via my fitbit

But you can bypass needing a fitbit by setting up a free fitbit account and linking it to MFP via MFP apps..then when you log into trendweight anything you've logged should scan through automatically

You get charts like this

2svn68yags2c.jpg
    2yila7625x6m.jpg
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    thanks hun ill give it a look
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    On my home fat analyser my weight shows an increase but my fat % shows a decrease when I'm constipated - something to consider?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    On my home fat analyser my weight shows an increase but my fat % shows a decrease when I'm constipated - something to consider?

Again these scales simply do not measure body fat percentage

They measure bio electrical Impedence in your legs

Is ridiculous to rely on the readings for anything other than a progression over months

They are almost useless

(Mine tell me my BF is 8% higher than it is)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Is ridiculous to rely on the readings for anything other than a progression over months

They are almost useless

(Mine tell me my BF is 8% higher than it is)

What do you compare it with ?