Substituting For Dumbbells In Programs Such As Strong Curves?

Options
Hi All,

I apologise if this questions has been asked a thousand times before, I don't often frequent this part of the board! My main focus has been my diet for a while now, but I really want to get back into exercise. Whenever I see 'noobs' asking for advice on lifting, they often get directed towards Strong Curves or the 5x5. however, I see a lot of these involve the use of weight lifting bars. Unfortunately I can't afford a gym membership, and don't have the space at home for my own set but do own a set of dumbbells. I was just wondering if these programs were just as effective if substituting the bar weight exercises for dumbbells, or if it would be more appropriate to find a program which specifically focuses on dumbbell use?

Again, apologies if it has been asked a billion times, or if it sounds like a basic and simple question, but rather than Googling it I would love to know the opinions of people who actually know their stuff. Many thanks to anyone who can help me out with this., hope you all have a great weekend :)

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I don't know how effective it is, but someone posted this link to a Dumbbell workout recently.
    http://www.building-muscle101.com/dumbbell_workout_beginner.html
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    The thing with dumbells is that at a certain point it gets harder to keep on increasing the weight than with a barbell. Also because you need to keep holding them with your hands while for example in a squat you place the barbell on your back.

Anyway, strong curves does include dumbell exercises while building up to the barbell ones, so you can stick wit those.
    Also, strong curves also includes an entire 12 week program based only on bodyweight.

You can also look into other full bodyweight programs like convict conditioning or you are your own gym, or look at some dumbell only programs.
    You'll do need a wide range of dumbells when following a resistance program, because all these programs require you to continuously keep on increasing your weight.

Hope this helps.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    That really does help, thank you both for the suggestions!