Healthy/Lowcarb/low calorie campfire snacks?

Options
rjan91
rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
Going camping and looking for some low cal or low carb snacks for the campfire? I found a great recipe for Hasselback apples I think I can modify for the campfire. Any other thoughts or ideas?

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Marshmallows. Seriously. 25 calories per toasted gooey piece. And how many can you really eat at once, anyway?
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    piece of bacon on a stick...or a hot dog, your choice.

Bacon wrapped/cream cheese stuffed jalapenos are good over a fire if you have a grate or something to cook them on. One of those cage things might work too, cooking basket, whatever. If you are looking for something sweet, no idea.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you mean on a stick, I go with marshmallows, too.

Beans are an easy and fantastic campfire food to cook, but they aren't low-carb.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Marshmallows. Seriously. 25 calories per toasted gooey piece. And how many can you really eat at once, anyway?

You have apparently never seen me play chubby bunny...

Agree though, of the toasted treats, marshmallows are pretty low cal, and I prefer them to smores anyways; yes, I'm weird.

If you're talking camping food in general, I loved doing the packets of food cooked on the coals that we did as girl scouts. I think we did chicken and veggies. Roasted potatoes and/or corn are really good too.

And snacks to have while camping but nothing to do with the fire? I love jerky (be sure to bring floss!) and trail mix.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Jerky, trail mix, pork rinds, nuts, hot dog minus the bun.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just looking for alternatives. We do the usual treats - marshmellows, smores. Just looking for some new ideas that might be lower cal or lower carb.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Baked apples, mix in cinnamon and a little maple syrup. wrap in foil, bake in coals til soft.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    rjan91 wrote: »
    Just looking for alternatives. We do the usual treats - marshmellows, smores. Just looking for some new ideas that might be lower cal or lower carb.

Why to the bolded? You can have low cal and high carb, and you can have high cal and low carb, and you can have low cal and low carb. By stating "or", it's a little confusing what advice you are looking for.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    rjan91 wrote: »
    Do you want low carb? Low carb can be high in calories.
    cheese
    hot dogs
    sausage
    shrimp
    avocados
    hummus
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Fresh fish or small game on a stick. The only problem is you need to know your local regulations, have the right licenses, and if you don't succeed than you will go hungry without a back up.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Poptarts, because whenever we try to toast them on the fire, they just end up falling in and burning.

Really, though, provided that you can controll yourself, mashmallows really aren't all that bad. Most hot dogs are pretty low-calorie too. It's the toppings and add-ons (like buns and chips) that you have to watch.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I'm almost ashamed to admit ;)