Misfit Shine activity question. Double logging?

Options
I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere else. I tried searching, but I wasn't able to find anything on my phone.

When I had a Fitbit I would do my workout wearing both my HRM and activity tracker and I would go in manually in MFP after my workout and update the time I started and how many calories I burned.

Do I still do the same thing with the misfit shine?
Or should I just let the shine track and not go in and log my exercise manually?

I have my activity level set to sedentary but yesterday just from basic walking around (I didn't work out) it says I burned 500+ calories. I know everything is estimated, so I don't expect it to be right on the money. When I workout and update the info manually it changes my misfit shine calorie adjustment so that it is way lower. So maybe I am using it right?

Thanks!!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the Misfit Shine syncs with MFP the same way Fitbit does. Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/282

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

In the MFP app, go to More > Steps and choose Misfit.

No need to log any step-based activity—your Shine is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Misfit or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Misfit burn during that time, so I never log exercise in MFP. It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have a question - I have a misfit and I noticed that it tends to always give me "more calories" to eat.
    It's synched to MFP so is it overriding MFP? Are the calories "gained" or does it just "add up" from my usual?
    I'm not sure if I should eat them back (as I'm trying to gain muscle). I have negative calories, but it has NEVER given me any negative ones.

So is it actually adjusting my calories based on actual burn or just adding them up?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    andyluvv wrote: »
    Is it actually adjusting my calories based on actual burn or just adding them up?

Click on the adjustment in your diary to see the math. If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments, your adjusted calorie goal is TDEE minus deficit.

Trust your Misfit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress. (But you still need to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.)
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I see so basically it's saying that I did burn more than I had set, right?

"When your device partner projected total is Greater than your MyFitnessPal total, you will then see a positive adjustment of the difference added to your MyFitnessPal account. If your device partner projected total is Less than your MyFitnessPal total, you will then either see a 0, or if you have opted to turn on Negative adjustments, you will see a deduction of calories. If the adjustment is negative this indicates the partner's reported calorie burn is lower than what MyFitnessPal’s has already provided for you."