whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Ok silly question but was is MFP and TDEE new to all this
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2015

newbies have to start somewhere :smile:
    MFP - MyFitnessPal
    TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure (in other words your BMR (basic metabolic rate) plus your exercise calories = TDEE)
  • whiteblossom14

MFP - MyFitnessPal
    TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure (in other words your BMR (basic metabolic rate) plus your exercise calories = TDEE)

Thank you is TDEE another app? X
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member

MFP - MyFitnessPal

Thank you is TDEE another app? X

no..its not an app - its just a term used for our calorie burn plus our normal burn from doing nothing :smile:
    there are TDEE sites if you google the term, it'll let you work out your own numbers..
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    paradi3s wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if any of you eat back the calories you burn when working out? I'm currently on sedentary level and Pacer syncs my steps and calories to MFP (wondering if Ishould eat that back too). Or do you use TDEE method?
    I always ate back my calories and enjoyed every bite.
    I think too many stifle their metabolisms eating too little.

Didn't know a metabolism could be stifled. Is that like Starvation Mode?
    Crash dieting eats away muscle and scrambles hormones along with other snags which lowers metabolism and makes it easier to gain back all the weight plus a little more.
    It's the Oprah syndrome...
    That's why MFP is set up the way it is. My metabolism is crazy high. I eat around 4000 calories per day.
    This is why I love how MFP works.
    They want you to eat back those calories, but if you know another way, go for it!
    :)
    I lost 100 pounds over 2 years and have maintained this result for almost 3 years.
    And my result was much more than mere weight loss but peak fitness and optimal health.
    d49eok23wd99.jpg

What's your method?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member

MFP - MyFitnessPal

Sorry, but that is wrong.
    TDEE is BMR + daily activity + exercise calories

It is not an app but a different way of counting things.
    MFP uses the NEAT method (can't remember the abriviation) but it is BMR + activity level and excludes exercise, which is why you need to log your exercise separately.

The TDEE method you put in about how much exercise you do in a week, and it gives you a set calorie target that divides all the exercise calories over the week. Therefore you don't need to log exercise separately anymore.
    There are many websites where you can calculate your TDEE. If you know your TDEE you can make that your MFP calorie goal and eat that instead of the goal MFP suggests. You then don't have to log exercise anymore. It works pretty well for people who have a very regular exercise schedule.
  • whiteblossom14
    AsISmile wrote: »

MFP - MyFitnessPal

Sorry, but that is wrong.
    TDEE is BMR + daily activity + exercise calories

It is not an app but a different way of counting things.
    MFP uses the NEAT method (can't remember the abriviation) but it is BMR + activity level and excludes exercise, which is why you need to log your exercise separately.

The TDEE method you put in about how much exercise you do in a week, and it gives you a set calorie target that divides all the exercise calories over the week. Therefore you don't need to log exercise separately anymore.
    There are many websites where you can calculate your TDEE. If you know your TDEE you can make that your MFP calorie goal and eat that instead of the goal MFP suggests. You then don't have to log exercise anymore. It works pretty well for people who have a very regular exercise schedule.

Thank you x
  • Pinnacle_IAO

So well said!
    I hope everybody reads this stellar explanation!
    :)

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Basically, what people mean by MFP vs TDEE is that with MFP you track both what you eat and what you burn with the goal of those two numbers being equal. With TDEE, you track what you eat, but you estimate how many calories you think you will burn. MFP gives you more flexibility, but TDEE requires less effort.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    At the end of the day, whether you are doing MFP's NEAT method with eating back exercise calories, or using the TDEE method where exercise is figured into your baseline goal and you don't eat them back, ultimately both should end up with similar numbers if you are accurate in setting them up.

I used MFP initially to set my goals and ate back my exercise cals. For maintenance MFP has me at about 1900 cals/day. When I got a FitBit I check the total daily burn which is an approximation of my TDEE. That number is about 2100-2200 which is perfect because I usually burn about 200-300 cals in exercise.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    At the end of the day, whether you are doing MFP's NEAT method with eating back exercise calories, or using the TDEE method where exercise is figured into your baseline goal and you don't eat them back, ultimately both should end up with similar numbers if you are accurate in setting them up.

I used MFP initially to set my goals and ate back my exercise cals. For maintenance MFP has me at about 1900 cals/day. When I got a FitBit I check the total daily burn which is an approximation of my TDEE. That number is about 2100-2200 which is perfect because I usually burn about 200-300 cals in exercise.

I happily found the same thing....that both equations equaled out to saying to saying the same thing. MFP's NEAT calculation gives me about 2000 calories for maintenance and I usually end up showing a 500 to 800 calorie exercise adjustment. My Fitbit shows my TDEE on average to be about 2500....and often more on really active days.

Isn't it great when technology and systems work the way they are supposed to!?

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I set myself at sedentary and add in my steps from MFP. I've done that for four years. I eat back all the calories I'm hungry for. My appetite changes with my activity level and that adjusts for it.

I follow this as well. I do like logging my activity and comparing how active I am across time.

• pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member

So presumably only really works if you consistently do about the same amount of exercise each week? My exercise is quite variable - some weeks I do more than others...

• Pinnacle_IAO

So presumably only really works if you consistently do about the same amount of exercise each week? My exercise is quite variable - some weeks I do more than others...
    Same here.
    I need to see those exercise calories building up which is my ticket to eat well.
    Also, if I blow my daily goals, I can get out and make some of it up and see the difference.
    Whatever works for you, but I prefer the MFP way.

• M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    NEAT - No Exercise Activity Thermogenesis
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Basically, what people mean by MFP vs TDEE is that with MFP you track both what you eat and what you burn with the goal of those two numbers being equal. With TDEE, you track what you eat, but you estimate how many calories you think you will burn. MFP gives you more flexibility, but TDEE requires less effort.

Too true. I also think people who have very regular lives do great with TDEE. My life is too variable. If you can afford one of those gizmos that measures your exercise, you get the best of both worlds.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I happily found the same thing....that both equations equaled out to saying to saying the same thing. MFP's NEAT calculation gives me about 2000 calories for maintenance and I usually end up showing a 500 to 800 calorie exercise adjustment. My Fitbit shows my TDEE on average to be about 2500....and often more on really active days.

This is good to look forward to. I'm still a bit confuzzled by the numbers. Then again, I'm not tracking walking anymore to know what I would have burned from it and I'm doing a lot more walking than I used to. I'm still trying to settle into a new normal.

I got a Fitbit way early in my path here looking down the line towards maintenance, and I pretty much do TDEE in that I ignore the noise of adjustments, take what it says my average burn is, and work out a deficit from there since I'm still trying to lose.

When I'm in maintenance, I'll see what MFP gives me and eat back my exercise adjustments, probably eating more on lifting days.

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    I prefer TDEE because I like eating the same amount of food every day whether I exercise or not. My exercise schedule is pretty stable and I never burn so many calories on exercise days that I am left starving. I can see how MFP would work better for someone with inconsistent exercise or very long endurance exercise a few days a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited August 2015
    paradi3s wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if any of you eat back the calories you burn when working out? I'm currently on sedentary level and Pacer syncs my steps and calories to MFP (wondering if Ishould eat that back too). Or do you use TDEE method?

well, if you put your activity to sedentary...but you're not really sedentary...wouldn't it make sense to account for additional activity? that's what MFP is designed to do...

when I was losing weight and using MFP I ate my exercise calories back in order to properly account for and feed that activity (you should have some kind of an allowance for estimation error).

you just have to look at the math...when i was losing, if i didn't workout i could eat around 1900 calories to lose about 1 Lb per week....this was because my maintenance calories without any exercise was around 2400 calories. when I exercised regularly I could eat 2200 - 2300 calories per day and still lose that same Lb because with exercise my maintenance number also increases...

it's 5th grade math...that's all.

and yes...TDEE vs MFP is six of one, half dozen of the other...the difference is where in the equation you account for exercise activity.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2015

Yes, the more consistent you are, the more accurate TDEE is.

It is very helpful for people who have very active days and non active days. Instead of eating 1500 calories three days then eating 2500 four days, you would eat 2071 seven days a week (1500 x 3) + (2500 x 4) / 7 Some prefer that. Others prefer the NEAT method (or even a hybrid of the two) because they find themselves hungrier on workout days.