HELP with calories please!!!

Options
Hey guys!

So I've been sticking to my goal of 1400 calories a week (net calories) by eating 1700-2000 calories a day and burning 300-600 through exercise! Even though I've reached 1400 consistently for 5 weeks, I haven't lost a pound :(. Am I eating too much?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? If not, then yes.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It's not a definite thing after five weeks, but it's starting to sound like you might be.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? How do you calculate how many calories you've burnt through exercise each day?
  • divyatew
    divyatew Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not weighing my food! I don't own a food scale but I might buy one after what I've seen on MFP. I was thinking it could be the whoosh effect because I've been doing a HIIT total body workout plus 60 minutes of cardio 5 days a week and averaging 1800 calories?
  • divyatew
    Options
    @DemoraFairy Just opened my diary! Take a look at the last 4 weeks!
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure your food. And remember that calorie burn for exercises are estimates. When I am at the gym and the treadmill says I have burned 100 calories, I really only think of it as 75 calories just to be on the safe side.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    divyatew wrote: »
    I'm not weighing my food! I don't own a food scale but I might buy one after what I've seen on MFP. I was thinking it could be the whoosh effect because I've been doing a HIIT total body workout plus 60 minutes of cardio 5 days a week and averaging 1800 calories?

Definitely get a food scale, you may find out you've been eating more than you think! Combine that with the fact that many online calculators for calories burnt through exercise tend to overestimate, and you could well be eating at maintenance, or at least not at enough of a deficit to have noticed any difference yet.

Get a food scale and, for a few days, portion out how much you would have eaten, then weigh it to see if it's actually the amount of calories you thought it was. If it's way more, you know the answer to your problem. If it's about right then try eating back less of your exercise calories (as well as still weighing to ensure your intake is definitely correct). Do that for another 6 or so weeks and see how it goes. Good luck!
  • divyatew
    Options
    Thanks so much guys :)! @50andfabu @DemoraFairy
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    divyatew wrote: »

Definitely get a food scale, you may find out you've been eating more than you think! Combine that with the fact that many online calculators for calories burnt through exercise tend to overestimate, and you could well be eating at maintenance, or at least not at enough of a deficit to have noticed any difference yet.

Get a food scale and, for a few days, portion out how much you would have eaten, then weigh it to see if it's actually the amount of calories you thought it was. If it's way more, you know the answer to your problem. If it's about right then try eating back less of your exercise calories (as well as still weighing to ensure your intake is definitely correct). Do that for another 6 or so weeks and see how it goes. Good luck!

All of this. Especially since your ticker says you only have seven pounds to lose. When you're within a few pounds of your goal, you have to be as precise as possible when it comes to your logging.

I'd also caution you to eat some more fat. Your numbers are pretty low compared to your other macros.
  • divyatew
    Options
    @malibu927 Will do! Thanks so much :)