Options

Replies

• NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Wii_Player wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Basically she is saying that now that she is eating more calories rather than starving herself, the scale is moving.

If she was starving herself the scale would have been going down then, because you know deficit, science thing. ;)

OP make sure weigh all solid foods and measure liquids only.

Yes, I understand the deficit, science thing :) I also know that many who are not losing and up their calories, start to lose. Heck, I cannot explain it, but I can say from experience that it's a fact. Everyone is different and we need to find what works best for us :)

Nope. My theory is that they weren't tracking with 100% accuracy and were having "just a bite" too often. When they upped their calories, their self-sabotaging came to an end because they stopped seeing what they ate in red.

From MY experience, if you eat more, you notice a water weight gain, which occasionally does drop off rather sharply.

That's my theory as well. When you are very hungry, it's much easier to take "just a small bite" and not record it, fooling yourself into thinking it didn't count because it was so small. When you up your calories to a level that doesn't leave you so hungry, you are much less likely to do this and your logging becomes much more accurate - thus a loss!
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    starvation mode... http://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/ temporary but true and can be combated with exercise.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kvansteen wrote: »
    starvation mode... http://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/ temporary but true and can be combated with exercise.

Authority nutrition is a crackpot site

Starvation mode does not exist in the way some dieters like to imagine it does
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    kvansteen wrote: »

Exercise combats nothing but a lack of fitness.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Serah87 wrote: »
    Basically she is saying that now that she is eating more calories rather than starving herself, the scale is moving.

If she was starving herself the scale would have been going down then, because you know deficit, science thing. ;)

OP make sure weigh all solid foods and measure liquids only.

Yes, I understand the deficit, science thing :) I also know that many who are not losing and up their calories, start to lose. Heck, I cannot explain it, but I can say from experience that it's a fact. Everyone is different and we need to find what works best for us :)

Discussion is kind of pointless when you have your own special "science thing". I bet there are as many sciences as there are overweight people.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    NO!
  • wrebecca02
    wrebecca02 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am working with a Nutritionist through my insurance company. She explained that if you eat too little your body starts out gaining weight because the body starts storing the food to protect itself.

I was told that I needed to eat 1200 calories spread out through 5 mini-meals a day. She had me set up an account here on MFP. I started gaining weight after a car wreck. I am almost always nauseated so it has been hard to eat, combined with all the medication I am on.

Basically I eat 3 small meals and 2 snacks a day. I have never been on a diet so it is interesting to log in my food and see how low the calories are. I have only been doing this for 4 days and I have only been able to hit 1200 calories once. I have dropped 2 pounds, but I am guessing that is water weight. I do hope each of you reach your goals.
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing, I was eating under 1000 callories a day and couldnt lose weight, ive never ate that much, but I spoke to afew slimming experts and they said I was under eating, for 2 weeks ive ate breakfast every morning and made sure I eat enough callories in the day and ive lost 4lb!
    I had the same thing before, I was with a slimming company called bitesize and they told me to eat more, I upped my callories and I lost a stone and half.
    People automatically think if you dont eat enough you'll lose weight its not true, a hunger strike is different theres no food going in the body, whereas if your eating a small amount through the day your body will go into starvation mode and store the food.
    Keep your callories 1200 or above and see what happens, its worked for me both times.
    Also I try not to eat after 6pm as your less active after this time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    People automatically think if you dont eat enough you'll lose weight its not true, a hunger strike is different theres no food going in the body, whereas if your eating a small amount through the day your body will go into starvation mode and store the food.

As others have said this is not physically possible. Your body needs energy no matter what, so if what you eat is less than what it needs you cannot store fat. Some people find that if they eat too little their activity level drops off a lot so the calories they need go down, but you would just lose less than expected then, not store fat.

Not that I'm recommending it, but anorectics generally don't eat nothing at all and yet lose weight. Same with people who have inadequate food supply.

What normally happens to dieters is that they eat too little and set themselves up for overeating at a later time, either binging or snacking that they forget or other meals that are larger than planned/they think. It is definitely much better and easier to eat a sustainable, sensible number of calories, but starvation mode as in "if I eat too little I'll gain weight" is not a thing.
    Keep your callories 1200 or above and see what happens, its worked for me both times.

This is good advice, just not for the reasons stated.
    Also I try not to eat after 6pm as your less active after this time.

It makes no difference when you eat. Your body will burn it off if you are overall eating below maintenance. Your metabolism doesn't stop/doesn't need you to be active to work and you would burn it off in the morning even if you didn't at night. Don't over complicate.
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out is obviously the fundamental thing that affect weight loss, however those who dispute the idea that starvation can cause long-term weight gain are forgetting the other variables that impact on metabolism, mentality around food, etc that can result from over-depriving yourself for too long, and these variables obviously affect CI/CO. The Minnesota Starvation Experiment is an interesting one, look it up!
  • tlroof
    tlroof Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    tlroof wrote: »
    My epiphany. I recently realized that I was literally starving myself to a fatter me. It's so hard to figure out what to believe in the world of weight loss but this is true! We cannot starve ourselves and get results! I have a very active job working outside since April of this year and I thought I would definitely see some weight loss. I decided to skip breakfast and lunch, eat a late snack and then a small dinner and I hadn't lost a lb! I'm not a 'breakfast person' but I've been forcing myself to eat in the morning, eat lunch each day and an earlier dinner. In the last three days the scale has gone down. I'm sure I'll plateau after I lose water weight but it's good info to get the ball rolling! Eat!

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tlroof wrote: »
    My epiphany. I recently realized that I was literally starving myself to a fatter me. It's so hard to figure out what to believe in the world of weight loss but this is true! We cannot starve ourselves and get results! I have a very active job working outside since April of this year and I thought I would definitely see some weight loss. I decided to skip breakfast and lunch, eat a late snack and then a small dinner and I hadn't lost a lb! I'm not a 'breakfast person' but I've been forcing myself to eat in the morning, eat lunch each day and an earlier dinner. In the last three days the scale has gone down. I'm sure I'll plateau after I lose water weight but it's good info to get the ball rolling! Eat!

You think you are starving yourself due to increases energy output, but you are still eating more than you burn. This can easily happen by snacking or constant grazing and you are not aware of it.
    You are just plain eating too much high calorie food, because there is no way to eat under in calories and not lose, even if it is just a little bit.
    You need to honestly log and weigh all solids and measure all liquids and you probably will be able to figure out what's wrong.
    But no one has ever starved themselves fat; other wise the concentration camps, or nowadays the refugee camps would be full of extremely fat people.
    There is no scientific proof that you need to eat a certain number of meals a day. You must do what is comfortable and sustainable for you, as long as you eat at a sustainable deficit and not starving yourself.
    Meal frequency and time are a personal choice...nothing more.
    Good Luck !

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    wrebecca02 wrote: »
    I am working with a Nutritionist through my insurance company. She explained that if you eat too little your body starts out gaining weight because the body starts storing the food to protect itself.

I was told that I needed to eat 1200 calories spread out through 5 mini-meals a day. She had me set up an account here on MFP. I started gaining weight after a car wreck. I am almost always nauseated so it has been hard to eat, combined with all the medication I am on.

Basically I eat 3 small meals and 2 snacks a day. I have never been on a diet so it is interesting to log in my food and see how low the calories are. I have only been doing this for 4 days and I have only been able to hit 1200 calories once. I have dropped 2 pounds, but I am guessing that is water weight. I do hope each of you reach your goals.

This is patently untrue and I am sorry that you are receiving such terrible advice.

BTW: Depending on your height, age, and activity level, 1200 could be too low.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Starvation Mode is real...

starving.jpg

just not in the way that you think OP...
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    wrebecca02 wrote: »

With all due respect, your insurance should get rid of their nutritionist.
    If a person eats to little it means they are in caloric deficit and lose weight. Some people lose faster and some people slower, but everyone in deficit loses.
    It is science that applies to everyone everywhere....no exceptions.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think, that's it. Log EVERYTHING.
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't mean gaining weight on a low amount. It means your body adapting to maintain on very low amount, then gaining weight very quickly once you up your calories even a moderate amount. So in starvation one could be maintaining on 600-700 a day, then suddenly gain weight when they increase to 1200. Most of that fat would initially be stored around the internal organs. So no, you won't gain weight by the initial over-restriction; you will gain it from restricting for a period of time, then increasing. I'm not sure how well some element of this apply to those who aren't underweight though.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't mean gaining weight on a low amount. It means your body adapting to maintain on very low amount, then gaining weight very quickly once you up your calories even a moderate amount. So in starvation one could be maintaining on 600-700 a day, then suddenly gain weight when they increase to 1200. Most of that fat would initially be stored around the internal organs. So no, you won't gain weight by the initial over-restriction; you will gain it from restricting for a period of time, then increasing. I'm not sure how well some element of this apply to those who aren't underweight though.

Nope, that's not how it works, either. No one would be able to maintain their weight on 600 - 700 calories a day. Just not physically possible. Unless they were a young child, maybe.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Especially with people who dieted for two weeks, then started eating more and saw it drop off, it's possible they simply started their diet during the worst part of their cycle, when they weighed the most. Then time the "eating more" with the portion of your cycle that has you releasing any water weight gain - BAM! Weight loss due to eating more food! Except no - the drop was coming, anyway. Water weight can mask fat loss for some time. Just not forever