Look different but scale stays the same

Options
Is it possible for the scale to stay at the same number for a month, but for one's body to look slimmer?

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's called water weight masking your actual weight loss. Taking body measurements would help you to determine if this is real or not. OR feel the difference in the way your clothes fit you.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Depends; if you're working out a lot, I think yes. My scale hasn't gone done that much but I feel smaller, as I'm working out 4-6 times a week.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Inches trump pounds.
  • divyatew
    divyatew Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm working out 5-6 tines a week for 60 minutes! But I'm also eating 1700-2000 calories a day, to net 1400 a day! I feel thinner and my clothes fit looser, but seeing no progress on the scale honestly makes me feel down about myself :(
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    divyatew wrote: »
    I'm working out 5-6 tines a week for 60 minutes! But I'm also eating 1700-2000 calories a day, to net 1400 a day! I feel thinner and my clothes fit looser, but seeing no progress on the scale honestly makes me feel down about myself :(
    Why? You're obviously making progress.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Do not let a number on the scale dictate your happiness. If you look and feel better that's 10x more important
  • divyatew
    Options
    I feel like the scale is validation that I' m doing things correctly. Like I can feel improvements, but I can't help doubting the results sometimes because I'm so used to one number
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Why? You're obviously making progress.

+1

Who actually knows what you weight unless you tell them? I would be way more excited about clothes fitting better and looking hotter than weighing a few pounds less! Just look at it as you're making progress. End of story. Change that attitude to not caring about your scale and use a clothing size as a goal instead. It sounds like you're doing great! :smiley:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

so, some arbitrary number on some scale is more important to you than clothes fitting loser, etc...

I will never understand the obsession with some arbitrary number that is derived from any number of things beyond fat...it's fecking ridiculous.
  • divyatew
    Options
    @wkwebby @rybo @DeguelloTex Thanks guys! I'll try to stop focusing on the scale as the main measurement of weight loss! I've lost 15 and gained 15 pounds in the last 3 years twice, and I'm on my way to losing the extra 15 pounds now. I guess each time you lose weight, you lose it differently.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I feel like the scale is validation that I' m doing things correctly. Like I can feel improvements, but I can't help doubting the results sometimes because I'm so used to one number
    The scale doesn't know the difference between fat and muscle. You could, theoretically, gain a substantial amount of muscle and weight, but be thinner and healthier.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes, I was stuck at the same weight for a month or so. loss over an inch on my waist and 2 inches on my chest
  • cwolfman13
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The scale doesn't know the difference between fat and muscle. You could, theoretically, gain a substantial amount of muscle and weight, but be thinner and healthier.

exactly...or bone or water, or varying levels of waste, etc...
  • cwolfman13
    edited August 2015
    Options
    look at this...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM1.jpg

Believe it or not, she’s 11 pounds HEAVIER (142 pounds) in the picture on the right (May 2011) compared to the picture on the left (131 pounds, October 2010).

She's actually heavier...and looks way more rockin'

Scale is but one singular tool, it is not the be all and end all.
  • divyatew
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hmmm I guess I've never thought of the scale like that! I didn't even think about muscle, bone, water, etc factoring into the numbers
  • divyatew
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    look at this...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM1.jpg

Believe it or not, she’s 11 pounds HEAVIER (142 pounds) in the picture on the right (May 2011) compared to the picture on the left (131 pounds, October 2010).

She's actually heavier...and looks way more rockin'

Scale is but one singular tool, it is not the be all and end all.

Wow she looks amazing!!! That's awesome!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I guess I've never thought of the scale like that! I didn't even think about muscle, bone, water, etc factoring into the numbers

Put duct tape over the display of it and walk away.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've been at the same weight for 1 1/2 months but have lost several inches. Try not to let the scale bother u. I'm happy it hasn't gone up!
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Deff! My weight has been the same for three weeks, (which is when I started to bump up weight training and cardio) however I have gone down a full pant size. Inches are great!
  • divyatew
    Options
    @Liftng4Lis lol that's actually a great idea! @lindaloo9331 @ashypashy7 That's great that you guys have lost inches! I'm glad there are other people who know what I'm going through and are seeing results :)!