I need some macro help

Options
I would like to start a body recomposition. I am 4 pounds away from my ultimate goal weight and I am not thrilled with how I look. I have had 4 babies and have been told that I will always have the fluffy look because of this. Well, I want to prove them wrong and finally feel comfortable in my body. With the research I have done I want to be sure that I have this right...

I am a 32 year old female, 5'7", and weigh 129. I haven't been officially tested but I would guess my body fat to be 24-25%. So that would put me at 103 LBM, right? I need to eat about 1400 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week. But when I start Strong lifts (I just downloaded the app) I should be eating about 500 calories above maintenance on lifting days and about 500 below on non workout days.
My macros I would guess are:
Protein: 412 grams = 31%
Fat: 406.35 grams = 30.5%
Carbs = 38.5%

Does this sound right?! I would like to be close to finished by June of 2016.
ANY help is welcomed. I really am new with this. But it is time to stop researching and start doing.
If I gained 10 pounds and lost 5-10 inches (overall) I would be beyond thrilled.

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I'll assume your grams should be calories. If so, sounds good.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend disregarding the calorie cycling.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    First of all, you (accidentally) posted this in the wrong subforum, but I'm sure someone will move it soon.

Second, as I just read Davpul say in another thread, recomp is never the good choice if you have a time frame. However, recomp sounds right for you, so I'd let the timeframe go if I was you. Recomp is a very long and slow process, but if you stick with it you'll see results.

For some reason those macros don't sound right to me, it sounds like a lot... And you don't really have to follow their eating program if you don't want to.

Here on the forum we recommend a minimum of:
    0.6-0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight
    0.4-0.45 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight
    Fill the other calories with carbs

However, if you prefer higher protein and fat and lower carbs that is your choice.

Personally, I eat following the TDEE method, which includes exercise calories. Same amount of calories, every day, regardless of if you worked out that day.
    A good TDEE calculator is the one from scooby workshop or IIFYM. (Just google them.)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I moved this to maintaining.

Calories = 1900
    Protein = 103g / ~ 22%
    Fats = 63g / ~ 30%
    Carbs = 228g / ~ 48%

That is where I would probably put you at based on the fact that you lose 1 lb a week at 1400 calories. I may suggest actually doing 1800 calories to allow for some room for error..

Regarding recomp, I worked with a woman who was meticulous in her eating and logging and exercise for 18 months to go from 26% bf to 16% with a minor deficit, but most people aren't as solid as her. A year may not be long enough for a recomp to hit your goal. If anything, I would cut for a few more months but at 1650 calories and still do SL Once you lose a few more pounds, and more happy with your body, then maybe transition.
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I mistyped when I said I'd like to be done by June. That is when I'd like to really start seeing the difference. I appreciate the input!

@psulemon Thanks for the advice. This all makes sense to me. It is helpful when you have actually worked with someone in a similar position. I don't plan on being as solid as your client as I will be doing this without the help of anyone. I won't know if I can do it without trying.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Swanson83 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone. I mistyped when I said I'd like to be done by June. That is when I'd like to really start seeing the difference. I appreciate the input!

@psulemon Thanks for the advice. This all makes sense to me. It is helpful when you have actually worked with someone in a similar position. I don't plan on being as solid as your client as I will be doing this without the help of anyone. I won't know if I can do it without trying.

Then taking the approach of a small deficit too allow for fluctuation in dietary errors, would definitely be a great plan for you. If you have more questions, let us know.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're numbers are right but I'm 34 5'8 128-130 and eat at maintenance for recomp which is about 1880 calories plus whatever my Fitbit calculates. I don't eat back all my exercise calories unless I feel I need them. I couldn't do 1400...I'd pass out from hunger. You might find as you start to lift more you'll need more fuel so don't be afraid to slightly adjust your numbers. I get about 120-140g protein, 60 fat and about 225-250carbs (numbers off my head)

I've been doing recomp now for 6 weeks and haven't seen the scale move but I can see definition and strength happening. Gonna stick with it! I'm following Jamie Eason's 12 week live fit program.