Recipe help

Options
jheater07
jheater07 Posts: 15 Member
I'm desperately looking for healthy family dinners that are inexpensive to make. Anyone have some recipes they are willing to share with me? Thank you!!!

Replies

• holly273
    holly273 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Depends how inexpensive you're looking to go, but I'm a student so have a few ideas that I have just sort of come by...

Chicken Tinfoil Wraps

(below recipe is per serving - just do as many as there are people)

1 chicken breast
    half or quarter of an onion, chopped finely
    3 cloves of garlic, chopped
    any more veggies as desired, chopped fairly small (broccoli? capsicum? carrots? whatever you have)
    salt, pepper, herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary - anything)
    *OPTIONAL* 1-3 tbsp pesto

cut a few slits in the chicken breast, put some bits of chopped garlic inside the slits, put half of the chopped onion (and any other veggies) on the tinfoil, put the chicken on top of them (if using pesto, put the pesto on the chicken), then put the rest of the onion and veggies on top of the chicken, season as desired (with salt, pepper, herbs) and close up the tinfoil wrap. put in the oven at 350 for 15ish minutes (or until you cut a slit in the chicken and there is no pink inside).

SUPER CHEAP, HEALTHY RECIPE

1 can crushed tomatoes
    1 can lentils/mixed beans
    chopped veggies as desired (broccoli, carrots, anything)
    salt, pepper, herbs

heat the crushed tomatoes in a saucepan on the stove, drain the beans/lentils, add the beans/lentils to the tomatoes, throw in the veggies, cook until veggies are as soft as desired, season with salt/pepper/herbs.

I do both of these recipes at least once a week each because they are so cheap and easy and healthy. I like to have them either alone or with oven-roasted sweet potato/asparagus/baby broccoli.