Is a personal trainer essential?

Options
2»

Replies

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    ...It is a year commitment and I am not sure where I can find the money in my budget for the fees.
    Then, don't do it.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    A year commitment is a red flag. You should be able learn what you need in 5 to 10 sessions. If you can't afford that, a good program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life.

If you decide to hire a trainer, here are tips on choosing a good one and avoiding bad ones:
    http://body-improvements.com/articles/industry-articles/how-to-select-a-personal-trainer/
    http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/personal-trainer-break-up-signs/

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I had a PT for six weeks on a special at the Y - three people, one trainer. She was great. I've watched numerous youtube stuff, but it's just not the same as having a real person assessing your strengths and weaknesses and pushing you where you need to be pushed and holding back on pushing where you aren't ready for it yet. After the six weeks, oh how I wish I could afford it! And I will find a way to make it fit in my budget again because it helped me tremendously. If the only option your gym has is a one-year commitment, I would change gyms. If that's not possible, I guess youtube videos and dvds are your only option.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's nice to do a couple of sessions to see where you're at, but the rest. Nope!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with everyone else... a year is too much. I prefer the flexibility of scheduling week to week... PT's need to be able to work around YOUR schedule.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Not essential for people who are physically talented. Normal people should get a little bit of good guidance (which isn't on offer everywhere) on form for key movements if they can afford it. People who have coordination issues would do well to prioritize a couple of sessions imo
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    When it comes to strength training, I am a novice at best. I joined a gym, (Anytime Fitness) where the membership is paid as a part of my benefit package, and I had a free fitness evaluation with a personal trainer. I then had the sales pitch for personal training sessions. It is a year commitment and I am not sure where I can find the money in my budget for the fees.

I was a member of Anytime Fitness (Pakenham) for 6 weeks and cancelled my 12mth membership 3 weeks ago. Take my advice, don't waste your money. There all talk and NO action.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    When it comes to strength training, I am a novice at best. I joined a gym, (Anytime Fitness) where the membership is paid as a part of my benefit package, and I had a free fitness evaluation with a personal trainer. I then had the sales pitch for personal training sessions. It is a year commitment and I am not sure where I can find the money in my budget for the fees.

It might not hurt to work with a trainer for a few sessions to learn exercise form. Should not need to have a year commitment.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    not essential, definitely not a year's worth, no way, but once a month or so would be good, maybe a few times a month to start. you want to make sure you have proper form and are using the right weight or else you'll pay for it later with back pain, knee pain, etc.