How much rest per week?

Options
For the past month I have been doing physical therapy (back muscles) twice a week, which is basically 10 minutes on a bike and then various weight machines/resistance band exercises and a few things like crunches. 1 or 2 other days a week, I've gone to a boot camp class which is much more strenuous and is basically circuit training, stuff where you're exercising your whole body.

I'm about to stop the PT and maybe move to the boot camp class 2-3 times a week. So my question is, with this class, how many other days a week should I work out? What about boot camp class 2-3 times a week, biking/elliptical at the gym 1-2 days, and 2 days rest interspersed? I for sure don't want to overtrain or cause injury but I also want to keep up with the specific exercises my PT recommended.

As a note, I didn't have a back injury . . . my back muscles were just really really weak, which was causing me pain from bad posture etc. So, there isn't really a more than usual risk of straining my back now that it's much stronger.

I did search the message boards and looked at the stickies but didn't see anything that seemed to apply directly to this. Any advice? Thank you.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    From a non PT point of view:
    I would ease into upping your exercises. Do your boot camp 2-3 days a week. Is there a progressive lifting/ body weight training aspect to your plan? If not that would be the next thing to add to your regime x 2-3 a week depending on the plan you decide to do.
    Look at upping your routines from 3 to 4, then 5-6 days a week.
    As you are coming from a low fitness level, take it slowly, it is not a race. You are choosing to do things that will sustain you for the long term, so approach it that way.

Do talk to your PT or physician about this before proceeding.

Cheers, h.
  • bkate24
    bkate24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! I will definitely go gradually, and you're right, I was coming from a suuper low fitness level. So yeah, I will phase up slowly from 3 days to 5-6.

My PT plan is kind of varied . . . some stuff like bridges, crunches, "bicycle" exercise, that type of stuff, plus weight machines, and some resistance band stuff for my back as well. Sorry, I'm not sure how that would be categorized! But I want to continue doing that stuff specifically because my core was so so weak and I want to specifically keep up my strength there to give a foundation for the boot camp work.

We do weight lifting at the boot camp (like real barbell stuff, although I am weak so I use hand weights for now) so I wasn't sure if I should add that additionally? I know everyone here says to lift but I'm reluctant to do it on my own because I'm not confident about good form/knowing how to move my body correctly. I like doing it in the class where the instructor can correct me.

Do you think 6 days a week won't be overtraining?
  • tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Here's a straight forward article from a reliable guy about overtraining. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-truth-about-overtraining.html
    But I would definitely talk with your Dr about an increase to make sure your heart, joints, ligaments,etc... Can handle it. What happens a lot is that people will push these other aspects too hard too fast and they will think the injury they created is them training too much when it's improper training. Remember, warm up, stretch, work out, stretch and drink water. Good luck
  • bkate24
    Options
    @tank1539 Thanks for the article! That was helpful.

I will ask my doctor when I go for my physical soon as well, and my PT as well at my last session. Luckily I'm in my late 20s and have pretty good overall health.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    I think the phasing in extra days is the key for you.
    If you decide to change your programmes in the future keep including lifting on mind.
    For now, in the near future, just find something else that you like to do. A Zumba class would help with your flexibility and balance as would aqua fit. They would complement the boot camp well.

Swimming is a good all round exercise, does both cardio and strength.
    Also, if you are thinking of getting into cardio equipment at the gym, look at the rowing machine. It works the upper body as well as the lower. Takes a bit more practice to do it correctly, but well worth it.
    By the time you work up to 6 days a week it won't be over training. This is a long progression, moving forward when your body is ready for another challenge, not a 'you have to get to 6 days in 3 month' kind if thing.
    And if you never get to 6 days, that is ok too; just work on improving your body at your pace. Well done for recognising your weaknesses and doing something about it

Cheers, h.
  • bkate24
    Options
    I think the phasing in extra days is the key for you.
    If you decide to change your programmes in the future keep including lifting on mind.
    For now, in the near future, just find something else that you like to do. A Zumba class would help with your flexibility and balance as would aqua fit. They would complement the boot camp well.

Swimming is a good all round exercise, does both cardio and strength.
    Also, if you are thinking of getting into cardio equipment at the gym, look at the rowing machine. It works the upper body as well as the lower. Takes a bit more practice to do it correctly, but well worth it.
    By the time you work up to 6 days a week it won't be over training. This is a long progression, moving forward when your body is ready for another challenge, not a 'you have to get to 6 days in 3 month' kind if thing.
    And if you never get to 6 days, that is ok too; just work on improving your body at your pace. Well done for recognising your weaknesses and doing something about it

Thanks! I'm glad you guys advised me to phase in slowly because I wasn't really thinking of that, but it makes sense. I will check out the aqua fit and zumba, and consider swimming too. I actually like the rowing when we do it quickly as a warm-up/interval in the boot camp so using it as cardio sounds like a great idea!

I'll aim for 2-3 days a week boot camp, and 1 day a week at the gym to start off with, and I'll look into zumba/other classes!

• middlehaitch
    Options
    That sounds really good. If you find you are getting over tired, cut back a day or up your calories, if possible.
    Happy to see you are approaching this in a sensible manner.

Cheers, h.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I train 3 hours per session 6 days every week with 1 complete day off.
    My training days are cycled to rest from certain activities while engaging others.
    Rest is paramount.
    Nothing will set you back as fast and as far as over-training.

Train hard, smart and take that day of rest when needed.