Interval training/C25K lite. How should I progress?

HiekelEssterol
HiekelEssterol Posts: 11 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey all. I've started interval training. I did look at C25K but knew I couldn't even do the week one workouts. At 457 lbs running for a minute at a time isn't doable.

So I downloaded an interval training app and set a schedule that I thought might push me but still be doable.

My previous workouts had been between 3km and 5km walking with a few short (10-15 seconds) jogging pieces thrown in there when, and if, I felt like I could.

So I decided that I would set a workout kinda with that in mind. I did:
5 min warm up walk
20 sec jog/4 min walk x 5
5 min cool down walk

As I had not really jogged for 20 seconds before I thought I might be able to get 2 of them done and walk the rest, with the intention that I would keep going until I could do all 5. Turns out Day 1 I was able to do all 5. It's amazing the difference between what you think you can do and what you can actually do. I was proud to get through all 5, albeit a little victory.

So my question is this. If I can already do the 5 x 20 how should I now progress? Should I keep the number of reps and look to increase the jog time? Should I add another rep at 20 seconds? Should I do both? Should I do something else?

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Look for the zen labs one it does 30 second 90 sec splits week one
  • HiekelEssterol
    HiekelEssterol Posts: 11 Member
    Is that 30 seconds run, 90 seconds walk? Wouldn't be able to do that yet I don't think. I'm barely ready to jog again after 4 minutes walk.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Are you able to add one more set to your exercise or another 5 secs on half the jogs then go from there? I would say listen to your body, and try to push yourself a little bit further each time. Take your time and record your progress so you can see how far you are progressing.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i believe it is generally recommended that you be able to walk briskly for 30 min.
    I believe week1 of c25k was 1min run/90sec walk.

if you can do the walk, actually attempt the 1st week, it's free to use.

otherwise, work on the walking. or the intervals :) whichever makes you happy
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    When I started C25k I could not jog even 30 seconds at a time. It literally just killed me. I was so out of breath even attempting 30 seconds. Being a smoker for over 20 years (I quit 3 years ago) had really messed up my lungs. Combine that with being obese and terribly out of shape made jogging seem impossible. But I decided to try anyways. Tomorrow I will be on week 5 of this program and can run for 5 minutes straight now.

It was extremely hard at first. When I could not complete a day, I would then try it again 2 days later, and 2 days later, until I was able to complete it. Why not just start on week 1 and continue on that week until you can complete it. And jog very slowly if you have to, trust me, I do.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Since it sounds like you want to stay on your own plan until you're comfortable on the C25K, why not try increasing the run by 5-10 seconds and decreasing the walk by 10-20 seconds. Play around with it until you feel challenged but also don't be too scared to go for it. Try a minute on the last one or something. Always pay attention to our own body but I've been amazed at what my body can do, especially when I tell it this is the last one and then you can rest! :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Keep the overall time at around 30 minutes and just slowly increase the running intervals and decrease the walking ones. I had to create my own "Week 0" when I started C25K because 30 seconds running was just too much for me, too. The whole idea of the program is to be able to run a 5K in under 30 minutes but 4.5 years later I still have yet to actually accomplish that goal (I have short legs and am nearly 50) and I've run over a dozen half marathons. I have come close, though, and still have hopes of it happening sometime later this year when it cools down. So if it takes you longer to run a 5K don't ever feel badly about it.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    You'll be amazed at how quickly you gain endurance, at least I was. I went from not being able to run half a lap to bring able to run 3 miles within a month or so, and trust me, I was not in shape and am not an athlete. I'm not and will never be fast, but i have knocked about 2 minutes a mile of my time this summer. As it happens tomorrow I'm running in my first official 5k and my big worry is that I'll be slowed down by the crush of runners, not that I'll be unable to run the distance.