Working out First

Options
Hello,

has anyone tried working out before they actually started "dieting" like keeping their same eating habits but began to exercise and lost weight initially that way?

(I know everyone is going to do with the "losing weight is CICO" , "eating healthy is what's important not exercising" blah blah. Not here for that. )

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If exercising creates a calorie deficit for you, then you'll lose weight. But that's why many here will say to focus on your intake first, because if you don't know how much you're eating, the deficit probably won't be there.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    No. I tried doing this in the past, but it never stuck. It's hard to out-exercise a bad diet. And by "bad diet," I mean eating more calories than your body burns. Most people think they're burning more calories during exercise than they actually are.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Many people find that increasing exercise increases their appetite. If you aren't paying attention to how much you're consuming, exercising can lead to weight loss. So if by "same eating habits," you mean eating exactly the same number of calories as before, then you will lose weight. But if by "same," you mean "generally the same," it may not work.

• JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have tried that.

A while back I got it into my head that exercise was the MOST important part of any weight loss plan, and started running up and down stairs at lunch break with no change in my diet at all. I kept right on gaining weight, and eventually gave up altogether. Maybe I got a bit more "fit" doing all that stepping, but it's hard to tell with all the cigarettes I was smoking at that time.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    tyoung8 wrote: »
    Hello,

has anyone tried working out before they actually started "dieting" like keeping their same eating habits but began to exercise and lost weight initially that way?

(I know everyone is going to do with the "losing weight is CICO" , "eating healthy is what's important not exercising" blah blah. Not here for that. )

I did that, didn't work for me. I just got hungrier and could rationalize eating more because I was at the gym that day. After a month I weighed more (and it wasn't muscle gains).
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Many people find that increasing exercise increases their appetite. If you aren't paying attention to how much you're consuming, exercising can lead to weight loss. So if by "same eating habits," you mean eating exactly the same number of calories as before, then you will lose weight. But if by "same," you mean "generally the same," it may not work.

This is what happens to me. I actually gained 2 lbs during my last half marathon train up because I was eating too much. Just started training again and will be smarter with my calorie intake.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    There's a famous quote saying anything worth doing, is worth doing badly. If the choice is starting to work out before changing your eating habits vs. not working out and not changing your eating habits, what you proposed in your question is preferable. Better to get started and do something than nothing. If you are going to do that, I'd make sure you combine lifting weights with some cardio. Don't just do cardio. If you can build some muscle (lifting weights), you'll increase your BMR since your body has to burn additional calories to support that new muscle. Also, your body will burn some calories post workout repairing muscle - assuming you've worked out hard enough to "break-down" your muscles.

Whether or not you will lose weight comes down to how far over your BMR you are eating, and how many calories you burn while exercising.

Sounds like you already know at some point the nutrition side of the house (CICO) needs to be addressed, but I won't go there since that's now what you are here for :)

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Usually, exercise increases my appetite, so it doesn't work for me.
  • BrianaDuBois
    BrianaDuBois Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I tried it once. It didn't work well for me. I was ravenous after the gym and would come home to chow down on a chocolate pudding cup.
    When I worked out regularly and didn't count calories but was mindful of what I was eating, I was more successful.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    This is only the second time I've lost weight by counting calories. Previously, I focused on increasing my activity level. My sister told me about MFP when I was having a lot of knee problems and couldn't exercise as much.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I have done that, not intentionally but was trying to do both and started working out regularly while not doing so well with improving my eating. I didn't lose, didn't gain. In theory if whatever you're currently eating has you maintaining and you add in some exercise without eating more you might go down a bit. I've just never found that to happen for me.