Getting Awarded Calories - Very Confused

jmallo1
jmallo1 Posts: 1 Member
So as I structured my plan based on a specific calorie intake and percentages of macro nutrients needed based on my activity level and body type. I made sure to create a deficit of 500 coming from food and then make sure I'm also burning an additional 500 calories from exercise. This from my estimations should help me create a deficit of 3500 calories per week from food and an additional 3500 calories expended from activity helping me lose about 2 lbs per week. Can someone please explain why myfitnesspal adjusts my calorie goal up by the amount of calories burned every time I input activity. The goals is to stay in the deficit, not allow me to eat more. I wish I could lock this, so it doesn't confuse me.

Please advise if I'm doing something incorrectly.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited August 2015
    The number it gives you is your deficit without exercise. When you exercise, it adds calories back because more activity requires more fuel. If you eat back your exercise calories (assuming they're correct, otherwise eat back a portion) you'll still be in deficit.

If you're working on a consistent schedule and don't want to add back calories then used the TDEE method where your exercise calories are already averaged into your daily goal. Either way you're eating them, but with this method you don't have to worry about adding them in each time.

ETA: when it asks for your planned time working out for the week, it's only setting up a check off for you to follow how much you end up putting in. It does not use that to calculate your goal. MFP only uses your stats and activity level to get the goal number.