Options
124»

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Perhaps.

Or perhaps some new converts to healthy eating get a bit over zealous about demonising things that don't fit into their healthy eating criteria.

Why does it really matter? I don't mean that as an attack, it just seems odd to be bothered that a complete stranger thinks a food is disgusting. There are all sorts of foods in countries outside the US that are perfectly acceptable to them which I find disgusting (balut comes to mind), but I doubt they sit around offended that some chick half a world away thinks it's gross; I imagine they're too busy chowing down.

I'm not sure why someone else's preferences or opinions would even be worth a second thought if it's something that you like or want to eat. I doubt they're bothered by you choosing to eat it.

Agreed - It doesn't really matter and I am not bothered by it - was just commenting on the thread about what my take on it was.
    I though that's what threads were for?

Of course there are foods that we all think are disgusting - but it isn't usually Foods we were happily enjoying just weeks before.

On this...the bolded...

Think about someone that is trying to quit smoking...if you can convince yourself it is disgusting (even though you were happily enjoying it just weeks before) it is easier to abstain.

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    The train was canceled so I ordered a double cheese burger hold the bun from McDonalds. They served it graciously in a clear salad bowl with a knife and for. There was so little taste it that wasn't worth the calories. You KNOW that you make a better burger at home. Always keep some nuts or fruit in your bag or purchase a hard boiled egg and wait for the nutritious, yummy, no added colors/flavors/preservaties/etc. that you have at home. HALF the calories and HALF the price and no "polysorbate 30" and what have you.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Perhaps.

Or perhaps some new converts to healthy eating get a bit over zealous about demonising things that don't fit into their healthy eating criteria.

Why does it really matter? I don't mean that as an attack, it just seems odd to be bothered that a complete stranger thinks a food is disgusting. There are all sorts of foods in countries outside the US that are perfectly acceptable to them which I find disgusting (balut comes to mind), but I doubt they sit around offended that some chick half a world away thinks it's gross; I imagine they're too busy chowing down.

I'm not sure why someone else's preferences or opinions would even be worth a second thought if it's something that you like or want to eat. I doubt they're bothered by you choosing to eat it.

Agreed - It doesn't really matter and I am not bothered by it - was just commenting on the thread about what my take on it was.

Of course there are foods that we all think are disgusting - but it isn't usually Foods we were happily enjoying just weeks before.

I think for some people that it makes it easier to adhere to if they can shine a negative light on the things that they have chosen to give up...at least in my opinion.

I think as far as feeling "sick" and "throwing up" is somewhat true. When they give up fast food which is usually high in sodium and fats they replace those with foods that are not so salty and fatty. Then, depending on the length of time that they have abstained, when they resume eating those higher sodium/fatty foods it can be hard on the stomach.

I am that way with beef products. I grew up eating a lot of beef. I love beef. However I seldom eat beef anymore but when I do I also get that upset stomach feeling.

TL:DR If you convince yourself that fast food is disgusting...makes you puke...smells rancid...you are less likely to eat it and thus making it easier to adhere to you commitment to eliminate it.

Is that a healthy mental attitude...wouldn't be for me but I can see it working for someone else.

I would just wonder, maybe temporarily so? What if one day, they realize, "hey! Who am I kidding?? These aren't disgusting, they're delicious!!" Suddenly the food is consumed and it likely becomes this moral failing because it's food that was supposedly disgusting, makes one want to throw up and fill in the blank. If the disgust ain't legit, it might help short term compliance but most likely not long term. However, let me assure you, I would love to be 100% wrong on this theory!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    Yes - who can say which mental strategies work for each person, it is so individual and subjective.

I can understand the smoking analogy and see how that might work for some, at least to get them past the early stage until non smoking is a habit

And of course once you are a non smoker, you don't ever want to have a cigarette again.

Which is bit different to weight loss/ healthy eating - maybe some people's aim is never to eat fast food again. And so they keep nuts and hard boiled eggs in their bag for emergencies like missing the train
    But for many the aim is to make healthy choices most of the time but enjoying fast food in moderation as part of that.
    So if they missed the train they would stop at a cafe or fast food place, make a sensible decision about take away food and enjoy it.
    I am certainly in the latter group.

But to each their own - as long as your strategy works for you, all is good.
  • eliaus3640
    eliaus3640 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I went from eating fast food every day to not eating out at all. It felt like an addiction honestly. It took me 6 months to quit completely. My strategy was I moved closer to work so I didn't go past any fast food places. It was really hard to quit it though and I had to cut back and after 6 months all cravings for fast food were gone
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Perhaps.

I think for some people that it makes it easier to adhere to if they can shine a negative light on the things that they have chosen to give up...at least in my opinion.

I think as far as feeling "sick" and "throwing up" is somewhat true. When they give up fast food which is usually high in sodium and fats they replace those with foods that are not so salty and fatty. Then, depending on the length of time that they have abstained, when they resume eating those higher sodium/fatty foods it can be hard on the stomach.

I am that way with beef products. I grew up eating a lot of beef. I love beef. However I seldom eat beef anymore but when I do I also get that upset stomach feeling.

TL:DR If you convince yourself that fast food is disgusting...makes you puke...smells rancid...you are less likely to eat it and thus making it easier to adhere to you commitment to eliminate it.

Is that a healthy mental attitude...wouldn't be for me but I can see it working for someone else.

I would just wonder, maybe temporarily so? What if one day, they realize, "hey! Who am I kidding?? These aren't disgusting, they're delicious!!" Suddenly the food is consumed and it likely becomes this moral failing because it's food that was supposedly disgusting, makes one want to throw up and fill in the blank. If the disgust ain't legit, it might help short term compliance but most likely not long term. However, let me assure you, I would love to be 100% wrong on this theory!
    It's legit. I used to love KFC and would drive ten minutes past another chicken place to get the KFC. When I has a bit again, I was shocked at how bad it was. Greasy, salty, kind of slimy and almost totally devoid of chicken flavor.

I didn't talk myself into that and was as shocked as anyone that I'd never noticed how bad that stuff was. I even asked my friend if it seemed worse or different to her. Nope. I explained what it tasted like to me, was she sure it tasted the same as always? Yup, she was sure. Same KFC she'd been eating for forty years.

When you quit eating that stuff and then have it again a year or two later, it tastes bad. You're used to better food. Unslimey, unsalty, ungreasy chicken. After you eat that stuff that passes for chicken, you're like, "Ew! How did I never notice this stuff was this bad?!"

I'm not going to try it again, but I'm also not going to suddenly decide, "Wait, that salty, slimy, flavorless chicken is delicious! I want more!" No way, Jose.

I'm not suggesting you go a year without fast food, but if you did, your tastes might change, too.

I'm not making this stuff up to say, "My WOE is better than your WOE." It just is what it is. That's my experience. It's real and true.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Perhaps.

It's legit. I used to love KFC and would drive ten minutes past another chicken place to get the KFC. When I has a bit again, I was shocked at how bad it was. Greasy, salty, kind of slimy and almost totally devoid of chicken flavor.

I didn't talk myself into that and was as shocked as anyone that I'd never noticed how bad that stuff was. I even asked my friend if it seemed worse or different to her. Nope. I explained what it tasted like to me, was she sure it tasted the same as always? Yup, she was sure. Same KFC she'd been eating for forty years.

When you quit eating that stuff and then have it again a year or two later, it tastes bad. You're used to better food. Unslimey, unsalty, ungreasy chicken. After you eat that stuff that passes for chicken, you're like, "Ew! How did I never notice this stuff was this bad?!"

I'm not going to try it again, but I'm also not going to suddenly decide, "Wait, that salty, slimy, flavorless chicken is delicious! I want more!" No way, Jose.

I'm not suggesting you go a year without fast food, but if you did, your tastes might change, too.

I'm not making this stuff up to say, "My WOE is better than your WOE." It just is what it is. That's my experience. It's real and true.

Okay, so if your disgust is legit, then none of the post applies to you? The people making it up in their minds will know when the time comes that eating delicious fast food isn't a moral failing. And how can you guarantee that if everyone were to go a year without KFC it would somehow taste different? How can you know the food I make at home doesn't have the same slimy gross properties? B)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Restaurants and fast food have always been an occasional experience for me and that hasn't changed, so I cannot tell you how it feels to go cold turkey on fast food because I never had to (in fact I eat more fast food now than I did back when I was morbidly obese). All I can tell you is that the more you do something the more used to it you get. When I was diagnosed with high blood pressure (thankfully no longer a concern) I had to lower my salt intake. It was hard at first and things felt tasteless. After a while things that had a lot of salt felt too salty and not all that appealing. If you stick to it your own preferences may change making it easier for you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Restaurants and fast food have always been an occasional experience for me and that hasn't changed, so I cannot tell you how it feels to go cold turkey on fast food because I never had to (in fact I eat more fast food now than I did back when I was morbidly obese). All I can tell you is that the more you do something the more used to it you get. When I was diagnosed with high blood pressure (thankfully no longer a concern) I had to lower my salt intake. It was hard at first and things felt tasteless. After a while things that had a lot of salt felt too salty and not all that appealing. If you stick to it your own preferences may change making it easier for you.

Very true. Even though I always used salt in moderation, I was put on a zero sodium diet for several months because of pregnancy complications. I was shocked at first at how bad everything tasted (not bad actually, just no taste) and then in just a few weeks, my taste adapted. It ws actually very hard to adapt back to eating food with salt, but cooking two different versions of everything was becoming very hard, and no one else in the family was convinced to try my no salt diet.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Very true. Even though I always used salt in moderation, I was put on a zero sodium diet for several months because of pregnancy complications. I was shocked at first at how bad everything tasted (not bad actually, just no taste) and then in just a few weeks, my taste adapted. It ws actually very hard to adapt back to eating food with salt, but cooking two different versions of everything was becoming very hard, and no one else in the family was convinced to try my no salt diet.

I actually had an opportunity to try a no added salt diet, but I didn't have to eat like this on an extended basis. I was like the family members who never came on board lol. The food didn't have salt because the cook had grown accustomed to eating that way due to cooking for someone with that restriction, even though she no longer had to (they moved out). What I noticed was that I was adding way more salt after the fact to season the food, than if a bit would have been added while cooking. That actually bothered me a little, because my pinch of salt added after the fact was maybe half the amount I would normally add during preparation of a meal that was several servings! I've never been one to just pour on the salt, either

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I eat out once a week, I enjoy a night off from cooking :smile: