FitBit Zip discrepancies

Options
I posted this in Fitness and Exercise, so here goes where I meant to post it in the first place:

I just bought a FitBit a few days ago to use strictly as an pedometer. So far today it's logged just under 15,000 steps. I did two miles on the treadmill, approximately 5,000 steps for me, and walked my dog a mile, maybe 3,000 steps because he wants to stray from the path. I did go to Costco and Walmart and walked quite a bit at each, plus parked my car very far away, but this definitely isn't 7,000 steps! The only other movement was a bit of housecleaning, but still, nothing like biking or cooking or gardening. I'm suspicious and wondered if anyone else had experienced the same alleged discrepancy. Thanks!

Replies

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You may want to try to contact their support. They are open until 8PM pacific, so they should still be open. SOMETIMES they have chat agents. That sounds a bit high, 7,000 steps at costco and wally world? I had a defective Zip, the battery kept fluctuating and eventually died, and it was marking my walks by a mile off here and there with syncing. I walk the same amount usually, so one day it said I walked an extra mile, then one day it didn't save my entire day of exercising. They sent me a new one in the mail for free, and said I could keep the old Zip. All they wanted was a picture of the receipt from when I purchased it.
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    This was all within 3 weeks of having it
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    (877) 623-4997 for Customer Support, and it looks like they're open on the weekends, too! I checked, and they don't have the chat option on there right now. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, it's weird.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I posted this in Fitness and Exercise, so here goes where I meant to post it in the first place:

I just bought a FitBit a few days ago to use strictly as an pedometer. So far today it's logged just under 15,000 steps. I did two miles on the treadmill, approximately 5,000 steps for me, and walked my dog a mile, maybe 3,000 steps because he wants to stray from the path. I did go to Costco and Walmart and walked quite a bit at each, plus parked my car very far away, but this definitely isn't 7,000 steps! The only other movement was a bit of housecleaning, but still, nothing like biking or cooking or gardening. I'm suspicious and wondered if anyone else had experienced the same alleged discrepancy. Thanks!

I would like to believe it's really 7000 steps. I believe the fitbit can feel impact on your body (when stepping or jogging) and registers that as a step. I also know the HR monitor enabled models makes distinctions between moderately active, lightly active, and very active minutes. Somehow all of this information gets turned into a TDEE reading which is fed into mfp, which i then use as a budget to feed my belly. Maybe it really was 7000 steps?

92152203.png
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    This was all within 3 weeks of having it

Thanks, Kim, I will call them. As much as I would like to believe that I did an extra 5,000 or so steps than actual, it seems hard to believe. I wear it on my pants at my waist, so it's not like it's attached to my wristwatch and I wave my hands around all day :)
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »

I would like to believe it's really 7000 steps. I believe the fitbit can feel impact on your body (when stepping or jogging) and registers that as a step. I also know the HR monitor enabled models makes distinctions between moderately active, lightly active, and very active minutes. Somehow all of this information gets turned into a TDEE reading which is fed into mfp, which i then use as a budget to feed my belly. Maybe it really was 7000 steps?

7,000 steps for me is equivalent to nearly three miles. I don't think it really was 7000 or even 5000 or even 3000 steps. Maybe 2000. However, this is working out great for me with the people I have a step challenge going.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options

7,000 steps for me is equivalent to nearly three miles. I don't think it really was 7000 or even 5000 or even 3000 steps. Maybe 2000. However, this is working out great for me with the people I have a step challenge going.

a trip to Costco for me adds almost a mile between where i park and the fact that its a HUGE store

• atypicalsmith
    Options
    maxit wrote: »

a trip to Costco for me adds almost a mile between where i park and the fact that its a HUGE store

I did walk through it several times for the free grazing, which was my lunch. Plus I did park in the shade at the extremely far end of the parking lot, and then came halfway back to the store to put my cart up in its spot, so yes, that could have been a mile. Doesn't account for the other two miles, sigh.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

A trip to Costco and Walmart is roughly a mile in each so 2400 for each one. I will end up with close to 7k when all is said and done unloading and putting groceries away it may not be as off as you think.

Plus for the first week or two the Fitbit is adjusting your stride and steps unless you did this manually and then your stride could be off. Just some thoughts.

• Protranser
    Options
    Does your model allow for stride calibraton? Maybe you need to adjust your stride settings to fix its accuracy
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

I get more than 2k in just one of those stores unless it's a quick get one or 2 things and then get out.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Does your model allow for stride calibraton? Maybe you need to adjust your stride settings to fix its accuracy

I am simply using it to count my steps, not my stride (which is needed to count distance walked). I don't care about the distance, but the steps.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    codycsweet wrote: »

I get more than 2k in just one of those stores unless it's a quick get one or 2 things and then get out.

Really? I did zoom back and forth in each of them several times, but still can't imagine 2k! I'll give it another chance tomorrow . . .
  • Protranser
    Options
    Oh hmm :| maybe you should do this same trip again tomorrow to see if the step count is similar?

92152203.png
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Oh hmm :| maybe you should do this same trip again tomorrow to see if the step count is similar?

92152203.png

No way, hah! I'll just check it more often.
  • Protranser
    Options

92152203.png

Ehh? Don't want to? Maybe it really was worth 7000 steps if the thought of doing it again makes you hesitant >:)

92152203.png
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

92152203.png

Ehh? Don't want to? Maybe it really was worth 7000 steps if the thought of doing it again makes you hesitant >:)

92152203.png

I would love to recreate today tomorrow. However, apparently I don't have as much time as you do to trace my steps when there are a million other things to do tomorrow. Plus I already bought the stuff I wanted.
  • Protranser
    Options
    Well, maybe another day then. I still think the step count may have been accurate :)

92152203.png
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I get about 5k steps going to Costco and Walmart. I go to both every 2 weeks, park far away and like to browse most of the isles.

I'm always disappointed that I only get apprx 5k steps cuz it seems like more to me. But I do move in a more leisurely pace than isual, lots of stopping and standing to look at things, etc.
  • katiegud
    katiegud Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people who had their fitbit register bumps in the road as steps while driving. Mine doesn't (I have a charge), but it might be worth looking at the before and after when you drive.