Good work out for plus size women

Looking for a good at home workout routine. At 279 lbs and little endurance I can't run (yet) and I can't join a gym at this time.

Replies

• BaranVonCoop
    BaranVonCoop Posts: 34 Member
    I would recommend starting with Walking, gradually increasing your pace over time. And for strength, you can use your own body weight. Things like jumping jacks, wall push ups and such.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVDs. These are low impact aerobics with no choreography. The beauty of no choreography is you can go at your own pace without trying to catch up.

They have older videos on YouTube and newer DVDs at Amazon, Target, etc. Newer DVDs have options like music only, and better music (IMO).
  • GoGoGirl1111
    GoGoGirl1111 Posts: 46 Member
    Thanks Teabea : I just got a WALK AT HOME 1 MILE WORKOUTS DVD (LESLIE SANSONE) on ebay for 6.00 free post. I'll try this one 1st : Cheers Amelia
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    There are yoga and pilates for plus size too. Look for mega-yoga, just my size, and heavyweight yoga. Check your library. On YouTube look for Megan Garcia, Lynne Robinson, and Abby Lentz.

Debbie Mack has a couple new DVDs. Look for video clips on collagevideo.com

Debra Mazda also has walking & step aerobics DVDs - the step DVD is a little more advanced.
  • bodymindmusic
    bodymindmusic Posts: 118 Member
    Yoga for Weight loss with Susanne Deason DVD. 4 modifications of the poses are shown to help you as you get more flexible. Good luck. Yoga has saved my life! My knees are too bad for heavy impact workouts.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Beach Body Mom on youtube.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I could barely walk and get in and out of cars even with help sometimes. I started walking a quarter of a mile every day about a year ago and still do it daily. Finally under 200 for the first time in 22 years.

It was hard for many of us at first but time can be on our side.

Welcome to MFP.

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Walking, swimming, 30day shred, befitin90 (on youtube)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Walk, swim, do some classes
  • cathyb0822
    cathyb0822 Posts: 848 Member
    Finallygetting,

I have to offer my strong endorsement for Leslie Sansone walking dvd's. I started taking charge of my health at 250 pounds (on a 5' 2" frame -- can you say apple, anyone?). I bought my first dvd at Walmart for about 15 dollars or so. I now have about 6 or so, different music, different lengths, varied intensity. When I started I could barely make it through the 5 minute warm-up, but now easily do 42 minute 5K on the treadmill and now working on 5K elliptical in less than 40 minutes. I started losing weight on Nutrisystem May, 2014 and started walking with Leslie in January, 2015. I now weigh 178 pounds and working toward 135. I'm off all BP, heart and cholesterol meds and my A1c is back to normal range. WHOO HOO for the transformation and taking charge of my life and health. I feel that I owe my increased endurance and ability to walk without back and knee pain to perseverance and Leslie. I highly commend them. Take care, Cathy B.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I started at 311 lb. and couldn't walk a block. I started out with a water aerobics class, then started walking. I can now walk almost 10 miles without a problem. You said you want an at home workout? Walking is the best beginner workout, even if you can only lap your home a couple of times.

DVD's are fine, but I really prefer walking outside. The fresh air and sunshine really help. The constant change in scenery keeps it from getting boring.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Don't bother then. But if you really want to, then do some yoga poses. or just get abook and learn some exercises.

You are less likely to cause yourself an injury if you wait until you weigh a more healthy weight. And certainly its actually easier to lose weight (unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic) if you don't put too much emphasis on exercise. Most people eat back their exercise calories whether they want to or not. You have to do quite a lot of exercise to not do it. I know this not only from personal experience but also its what the scientists are saying these days.

Don't get me wrong, exercise is great and its important but its not necessary for weight loss. And i think its actually a risk given that a lot of people who start exercise, lose motivation at some point and then give up the whole project, regaining whatever they've lost.

If you just focus on improving your diet, it is a whole lot easier. Of course you can't expect to lose weight and continue to eat junk food all the time, or continue to overeat, but you don't (and shouldn't) try to starve yourself on really low calories. Just reduce enough to get the scale going down in a fairly steady fashion. Then reset you calories when you reach a stall.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Walking is a great place to start.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    All I am doing is validating what has already been suggested.

Try walking and light resistance using 5 to 10 pound dumbbells.
    You may want to invest in a $30 Mini-Trampoline.
    ianeylxx8dlj.jpg
  • GypsyByTheSea
    GypsyByTheSea Posts: 529 Member
    Move more. The best exercise is the exercise you will do every day. I was very heavy when I began 3 years ago on MFP. I started with walking. Then I became interested in kickboxing. Then, body weight workouts on YouTube. Then lifting. Then hiking. Then yoga. Now, I have a consistent program of heavy lifting, hiking & yoga.

It's not about finding the perfect exercise program, it's about finding something you like enough to continue doing every day. Just try some things and modify where necessary. You'll be surprised how quickly you can make improvements to your health.
  • ElizabethAnnSz
    ElizabethAnnSz Posts: 26 Member
    I just did the Beach Body Mom and it was a nice workout. Thanks for the advice.
  • karliebethell
    karliebethell Posts: 53 Member
    I'm obsessed with the #PSPFit workouts on youtube. They're 30 minutes and done by the plus size blogger, Cece Olesa, the plus size princess. Totally doable for me from when I was 364lbs
  • njnoon
    njnoon Posts: 2 Member
    As someone in the same position as the OP, I really appreciate the workout advice. I'm in a phase of hating to exercise. I just want to get moving again!
  • Maryah13
    Maryah13 Posts: 2 Member
    Oh man, thanks for the suggestions everyone, I've just started getting back into working out and i have my goal set at losing 65-70lbs, I just did one of the Beach Body Mom 15min workouts and I'm sweating like a pig! I love it!

Also I recommend the Lex Twerkout app, she also has vids on YouTube, they're only like 3 mins each but they get your heart pumping and in those 3 mins you'll be drenched in sweat
  • Thanks guys. I have been walking daily, doing sit ups and jumping Jacks
    ..just anything to get me into it again