Protein powder part of my diet...not my diet

Options
So I have been logging MFP for 7 days now and I can't seem to hit the protein requirement with a 50/30/20 ratio even at the 1500 cal per day mark...on my limited budget. I ordered a big bag of protein and have been doing 3-4 scoops per day...about 80-100 grams of protein...but it's not enough. Without making protein power my diet are there any other less expensive sources of protein?

Just fyi I am 35 at about 22% body fat at 175lbs any helpful thoughts would be appreciated...

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Is that 20% protein. Well my goodness there are so many protein foods and if you are a meat eater, then its strange that you find it difficult at all.

Notice that bread and pasta also contain protein. legumes are a good cheap source of protein. 1/4 cup peanuts is good. Try not to eat more than that becuase of the fat. If you eat a wide variety of foods all the time, its genearlly easier to eat more protein. If you eat a lot of processed foods its more difficult.

But you can eat milk, cheese, yoghurt and all sorts of non-processed meats and be healthy. Not to mention eggs.

Silverside is a pretty cheap cut of meat. Its easy to cook. And you can cook your vegies in with it at the same time. If you cook meat (boiled or roasted so that you have some cold cuts in yoru fridge, you should never be short. You can put chicken in your salads. Roast other meats in sandwiches with your salads vegies.

That said, protein is usually more challenging for most people. But its worth doing because it stops muscle wastage and it helps keep your mind wandering so much to junk foods. Its just more satisfying than those foods. So are vegetables.
  • ttanderson79
    ttanderson79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Patttience,

Thank you for the tips...I will try them out!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Chicken and eggs are staple parts of my diet. I also work 93% lean ground beef in a lot. Not big on fish.

I eat more chicken than anything because it's almost always on sale (either boneless skinless breasts or thighs). We normally pick up extra to keep in the freezer for when it's not on sale. Eggs come a close second because they are cheap too, or were until recently.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Eggs. I still am a little off from my requirements but I have 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites at breakfast, PB on toast for a snack, and usually some kind of meat with dinner. And then greek yogurt ice cream for dessert.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    50% is unnecessary unless you're actively bulking, and even then, I'm not sure...
  • JD29447
    JD29447 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Is that 50% protein or 20? 50% does sound really high. I can usually hit 20% protein without even thinking about it and I am pescatarian (who eats very little fish). More than that takes a bit of thought, I add things like greek yoghurt (170g pot is like 18g of protein), quark, milk, tinned tuna, eggs, egg whites, chickpeas, lentils, peanut butter etc. You could bulk buy meats when they are on offer and freeze them?
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary for ideas. I'm usually around 110g protein. I have only half a scoop of protein powder in a shake just to even out my blood sugar through the morning.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Meat (or faux-meat), fish, eggs, tofu, dairy and edamame.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Eggs, greek yogurt, meat, fish, tuna, pb, cheese, protein bar, etc etc.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    Eggs, greek yogurt, meat, fish, tuna, pb, cheese, protein bar, etc etc.
    ^^^THIS^^^

And I'd eat roaches for protein before consuming that powder supplement stuff...

• ttanderson79
    Options
    Protein 50% Carb 30% Fat 20% ...this is the ratio a local dietician s
  • ttanderson79
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!!

I have not really eaten much Greek yogert...maybe 2 or 3. I think I will give it a try added to breakfast or mid morning snack.

Are all Greek yogert brands created equal?
    Are there some that are better for you/better tasting that others?
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Mine are 50% carb, 30% fat and 20% protein
    Is your dietitian selling you supplements or something?

• Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Mine are 50% carb, 30% fat and 20% protein
    Is your dietitian selling you supplements or something?

I would agree with this. General advice is usually 1g per lbm or 20-30%. 50% sounds a bit extreme.