Discouraged!!

Options
Last night I visited a friend who I haven’t seen in like 5 months. When she saw me the first thing she said was “you have gained weight” that was so discouraging considering the fact that I have lost 4.9kg since the beginning of July. Today I woke up feeling like giving up.

I really need extra motivation to move forward from this.

Replies

• tonywcook
    tonywcook Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try and turn it into a positive and think "I will show you" 4.9kg is brilliant wish I could do that!!! Keep going don't let it get the better of you. I had that said to me and after the initial disappointment it has made me reset my goal and I am getting my focus back. I just need to stay motivated
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    4.9 kilos is great! Keep working towards your goals and soon you will hear people telling you wow you look great! Don't get discouraged or give up! You are making some awesome changes and be proud of yourself!
  • GypsyByTheSea
    GypsyByTheSea Posts: 529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There is always a choice - give up or keep going. What happens if you keep going? What happens if you give up?
    Which do you want more? Motivation is fleeting. One day you have it - the next day - POOF. Get up every day and just do your best. Eat healthy. Find some kind of exercise you like enough to keep doing it. Build habits. Keep going.

Someone told me years ago, when you are ready to lose the weight you will. No one and nothing will be able to stop you. This is truth. Are you ready?
  • RegainFiks
    RegainFiks Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comment. I don't want to give up, I have worked so hard to lose the little that I have lost and wouldn't want to give up my small progress.
  • GypsyByTheSea
    GypsyByTheSea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Every day you add on to that number - is getting you closer to your goal. Think about where you'll be in one more week, one more month, one more year. Don't let one minute or one day derail you. Just keep going. We all have days when we screw up and don't follow through. We all have people in our lives that don't support us or make unfeeling comments. We all have days where we look in the mirror and see progress. We also have as many days when we see no change. What leads to success is the ability to just keep going.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Fikile2015 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your comment. I don't want to give up, I have worked so hard to lose the little that I have lost and wouldn't want to give up my small progress.
    You must decide that your health and fitness is more important than anything.
    You may fail from time to time - we all do, but giving up must never be an option.

That's what most people do: give up. Don't join that herd.
    They're miserable in life, and you're on your way to something much better.
    :)

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Fikile2015 wrote: »
    Last night I visited a friend who I haven’t seen in like 5 months. When she saw me the first thing she said was “you have gained weight” that was so discouraging considering the fact that I have lost 4.9kg since the beginning of July. Today I woke up feeling like giving up.

I really need extra motivation to move forward from this.

Who tells someone they have gained weight? Seriously rude.

Don't give up. You are making great progress!
    It can take awhile for your appearance to change even though you are losing weight. I think it was 15 or 20 lbs before I could look at a photo of myself and see a real difference.
  • anneeett
    anneeett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Don' t give up, youre doing great! Maybe she 'remembered' you differently, as we tend to forget what others exactly look like after we haven't seen them for a while. Also, you hadnt seen her for 5 months. Is it possible you gained a lot of weight between the beginning of those 5 months and the beginning of July? That way, the difference between then and now might not be very noticable to her yet, because last time hou saw her was BEFORE your heaviest :)

Either way, 4.9 kg is amazing!! And in less than 2 months at that! Can you imagine a couple of months from now, that number will have DOUBLED?! Imagine the difference in your appearance, energy level, stamina.. You're on the right track, keep it up!
  • lejoie
    lejoie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said. You have proven you can do this so don't give up on yourself. Your weight loss isn't for your friends or what they see, it's for you. Keep fighting for you everyday. The reward is so, so worth it!
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If they haven't seen you in 5 months and you've only lost that since July then how was she supposed to know you have lost weight? She can't have known to be able to congratulate you.

Sure, she could have not mentioned you gained weight, but I'm assuming you have gained weight since you last saw this friend. Truth hurts. I remember my mum telling me a dew months ago that i looked better now i had gained some weight. Cried my eyes out because she had pointed out my gain.

Think about this logically, what I've just said. Absolutely no reason to get demotivated. It's not as if you have dropped a load of weight since they last saw you and were snarky about it or didn't mention it. That would he denotivating. But this? Use it as motivation instead, to have dropped enough weight next time that she does say 'wow, you lost weight!'

You can do it!
  • RegainFiks
    RegainFiks Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement.

Even if you know that you have gained weight, the last thing you want to hear is people pointing that out. If she didn't say anything about my weight that would fine obviously I wasn't expecting her to tell I lost weight.

I will definitely move forward and continue with my journey.