How many 'exercise' calories a day do you NOT log?

Options
13»

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i only log my cardio as well.. i burn much more with the strength training i do, etc., but for purposes of MFP i only log the cardio workouts.
  • vicksg1973
    vicksg1973 Posts: 55
    Options
    I have a FitBIt automatically synced to MFP, so it naturally includes all the 'extra' exercise I do above the 'slightly active' category into which I've put myself on MFP.

LIke someone else said, I find the FitBit underestimates activities that aren't just stepping (like Body Combat) but I figure being stingy with the calories burned is better for me!

If however I do a HIIT or weights session, I do log those calories manually into MFP.

I'm on 1200 calories NET and if I didn't log as much exercise as possible I wouldn't be allowed to eat over 1200 and I would find that IMPOSSIBLE!
  • emmamaelee888
    emmamaelee888 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Dont have time to read all of the other comments, but personally I do not log housework or stairs, really I only log what I have done that is outside what I would have done before I began this journey, if it is something I would do anyways I dont count it. I only log what I consideer "extra"
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter what people log? As long as they are happy with what they are logging and it's working for them who really cares.

True this ^.

When I first began here I logged running up and down stairs because I was purposely running up and down stairs a dozen times as my activity. The weather was not good for outdoor walking, I have no exercise equipment at home. I had previously been very sedentary and IMO that was a real workout *for me*.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I log my strength training.

I know my upper and lower limits on calorie consumption based on TDEE, so I stay in that range no matter what I do during the day. But for the actual exercise, I entered my own exercises and calorie burns. I don't go by MFP's calorie burns because they're way off for me. I am not over 200 an hour in calorie burn though, and I include an abs circuit the last 10-15 minutes, which gets the heart up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I log my actual exercise sessions (runs, rowing, weights etc). I don't log things like walking the dogs etc as I assume there's a sufficient margin of error in my calorie counts (I don't measure every last little thing and nutrition information labels are also permitted a margin of error) that, overall, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Having said that, while I would like to lose a bit more weight my real focus is on fitness (I have a marathon coming up in October)
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My activity is set to the most active, and I do log exercise. I managed to lose a kilo last week, with PMS, and eating above maintenance . So currently I am set to gain 0.5 kg a week. We will se how that goes. I have a physical job, two kids and do the heavier house work. So stuff like the laundry , which I carry up and downstairs. I haven't exercised as much as I would like in the past few weeks, but I log- an estimate for aikido, 50 cals for helping the kids, and 150 cals for my class, per hour. I log run walks, which normally are 4 km and I get 200-250 cal burns . I don't log walking to our close shops, but if I walk 2 km , I log that. I also log strength, but I know it's a estimate. If I have a busy day with housework , and I am hungry, I just eat extra.
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    This. And I use a HRM to ensure more accurate burns. This morning,alone, MFP overestimated by about 50 calories.
    I only log conscious efforts to exercise. Things like walking the 3 km round trip to pick up schoolies when possible, c25k, treadmill, and circuit training. All the other stuff I would assume is part of my "lightly active" activity profile.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I don't log
    Weight training
    Ab workouts
    My physical job
    Anything that is not a preplanned actual gym cardio workout.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I set my activity level appropriately to account for my actual NEAT, which would include playing with my kids, walking around a bit, cooking, cleaning, general chores, being alive and breathing and taking a dump, etc. When I was doing MFP I only logged actual exercise and always ate back around 70% of those exercise calories as they were not accounted for in my NEAT activity level.