Low calorie ice cream toppings

Options
I bought a bucket of vanilla ice cream that's turned out to be pretty disappointing. Besides fruit and cinnamon, can you recommend toppings that are fairly low-calorie?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Calories are too precious to be wasted on bad tasting ice cream. :(

Or you could get diet root beer and make a float, IDK.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Calories are too precious to be wasted on bad tasting ice cream. :(

Or you could get diet root beer and make a float, IDK.

And the freezer space is too precious to be wasted! I don't know what I was thinking. But a second after I posted this I remembered I'm seeing my friend today and can palm it off on her.

The root beer float is a good idea though, thanks!
  • JenniK614
    JenniK614 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have some 0 calorie chocolate syrup. It is made by Walden Farms. I don't think it is delicious, but it is ok. It tastes really bitter on the spoon, but hardens on the ice cream like the magic she'll stuff. It is at least something a little different.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yeah it would go in the trash. No point wasting calories on bad food. You've already wasted the money anyway... don't make it worse by wasting calories too!

ETA: and also, I see no point in wasting good ice cream with low calorie toppings.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and find some pints of gelato or ice cream that are yummy. Then you don't need toppings. :)

I discovered Talenti through the boards here and it's been an amazing addition to my freezer. I could easily down half a Ben & Jerry's or Dove pint, but I'm good with even just half a serving of Talenti, sometimes with some syrup, whipped cream, and sprinkles (that tacks on around 30 calories, I think). I try to keep 2 flavors in my freezer so I have options, and there's so many to try!!!

~Lyssa
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    I usually do eat better! But it was an irrational purchase. My friend's kids will like it.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    JenniK614 wrote: »
    I have some 0 calorie chocolate syrup. It is made by Walden Farms. I don't think it is delicious, but it is ok. It tastes really bitter on the spoon, but hardens on the ice cream like the magic she'll stuff. It is at least something a little different.

I appreciate your response but I do not hate myself enough to try another one of their products.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I usually do eat better! But it was an irrational purchase. My friend's kids will like it.

BBQ sauce may be a good topping >:) JK
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like PB2 on it! It's my go to add-in for ice cream and frozen yogurt, sometimes with an oreo crushed up as well if I have the calories.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Fresh blackberries or coke float don't use diet soda on ice cream tho it makes nasty ice crystals
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Oh, and cocoa powder...if you don't mind turning your vanilla ice cream to chocolateyness
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    No sugar added applesauce is delicious on vanilla ice cream.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't taste good, I'd either trash it or give it to someone else. Calories are too precious to waste on something that calorie-dense that tastes bad.

That said, if you really want to eat it, then crushed-up sugary cereal could be a good option. 1/4 cup of crushed Captain Crunch (or similar other cereals) shouldn't run you more than about 35 calories. Fiber One makes a yummy chocolate cereal that you could use as a topping.

Alternatively, you could crush half of a granola bar and add it. A couple of tablespoons or dried fruit wouldn't be too bad either. Or you could add a tablespoon or so of mini chocolate chips. It's all about portion control. If you're eating a half cup of ice cream, you shouldn't need any more than a tablespoon or two of mix-ins.
  • catbhn21
    catbhn21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Homemade Frappuccino for breakfast. Add skim milk powder or protein powder if you've got it and it's almost a complete meal.