Fruit day

I have had two days of being over, So I have decided to 'detox' for the day. I've read they are myths and don't work, but I just need a boost I suppose.
I'm having two glasses of lemon water today, two cups of green tea (ewwww), water, a meal replacement shake for breakfast and tea. And fruit for the rest of the day :D

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    No such thing as "detox" and totally not needed.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    If you've read they're myths and don't work, why do you think it's worth doing for you?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    What kind of "boost" do you expect to get from this? Besides being undernourished, cranky, and likely to overeat later as a result?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    What kind of "boost" do you expect to get from this? Besides being undernourished, cranky, and likely to overeat later as a result?

This.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    If you eat little fruit, you will create a deficit. Same will happen if you eat little milk, little bread, little cheese or whtever. If you eat 3000 calories in fruit, calories are still calories.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    My mother did a 7 day detox, dropped 9 lbs (although to me she looked no different). Guess what.... it all came back once the detox ended. I just don't see the point.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Don't punish yourself for going over. It'll just make you more likely to quit when you go over again. Just jump back to your regular calories today. After a big day of eating, I now find I'm not very hungry the next day, so I just eat less.
    But please don't punish yourself over food, that's still an unhealthy attitude towards food.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Why are you punishing yourself for going over two days? Two days of going over won't have any lasting harm. Just prelog some actual food that can be chewed that meet your calorie and macro goals and then follow that plan for the day. Repeat daily.

Also, maybe you need to revisit your calorie goal. If you set it too low (say, 1200 calories when your maintenance is closer to 2000), that could be why you went over.

Why are you having green tea if you hate it? (Less important: how can you hate green tea? It's delicious!). Why did you choose fruit for the rest of the day and no vegetables? What are you going to do about protein? About micronutrients that you are only likely to get from a variety of foods? About fats that are an important part of your diet? What the heck do you think you're "detoxing" from? The food you ate yesterday and the day before may have exceeded your calorie goal, but I will take the fact that you're able to post as evidence that it wasn't actually toxic. Really, I fail to see how this in any way is a positive or logical choice.
  • mp5928
    mp5928 Posts: 3 Member
    Jenny, I think this is a good idea. The replies that detox doesn't work are missing the point that you just need a wake-up to get back in the game. This is only for a day - a day of complete change to be thoughtful about what you are eating. Fasting is often used in religion to meditate or rethink ones commitment. I like your idea. Good luck with today. You have inspired me.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Getting on track does not have to be a drastic measure. Go back to eating your calorie goal. You do not need to detox, your kidneys and liver will do that for you when you get back to your routine. I don't understand how torturing yourself is going to help you get back on track. It would just make we want to shove my face in a cheesecake by the end of the day!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Have a good time. Good luck!!
  • Damien_Scott
    Damien_Scott Posts: 108 Member
    Try Green tea with Honey. It's sexy.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    It would probably be easier to simply skip breakfast and do and intermittent fast. Then just eat at lunchtime as normal.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    But why?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    But why?
    From her post:

1. She wants to make up for overeating.
    2. She thinks it will give her a boost.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Do you think that fruit is calorie free?

This is a ridiculous plan.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    mp5928 wrote: »
    Jenny, I think this is a good idea. The replies that detox doesn't work are missing the point that you just need a wake-up to get back in the game. This is only for a day - a day of complete change to be thoughtful about what you are eating. Fasting is often used in religion to meditate or rethink ones commitment. I like your idea. Good luck with today. You have inspired me.

What does religion have to do with diet? If it's her custom to fast, then she should do it, but I don't see what's thoughtful or helpful about unnecessary food restriction, or why she should punish herself when she hasn't done anything wrong that can't be fixed just by resuming the plan.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I have had two days of being over, So I have decided to 'detox' for the day. I've read they are myths and don't work, but I just need a boost I suppose.
    I'm having two glasses of lemon water today, two cups of green tea (ewwww), water, a meal replacement shake for breakfast and tea. And fruit for the rest of the day :D

I'm curious if being over for two days was related to your menstrual cycle. I'm hungrier right when my period is starting so switch to Maintenance for a few days and get 500 extra calories.

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    While I don't think your idea is likely to do you any physical harm, you want to think very carefully about why you are doing it.

If you truly believe it will make you feel better and more focused, I can't see an issue with doing this for a single day.

If you are doing it to "make up for" your two days of going over, I think that's a bad idea because it can lead to a cycle of overeating and under eating that can really mess with your mind.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member

Wow. That makes me sad. Why are you punishing yourself? We all have days where we go over our calorie limit. You just get right back on track. No self-flagellation necessary.