Under-arm fat/ "Bat wings"

Options
I know that everyone loses weight differently, or something may work for one person that may not necessarily work for someone else. But other than doing the typical arm weight lifting exercises (military press, overhead press, arm circles, etc.) as well as tricep push-downs and standard push ups... Does anyone have any suggestions for arm exercises that really help with losing weight and toning your underarms? My face, stomach, and legs have all trimmed down considerably with losing 50 lbs thus far, and while I can see a slight difference in my arm size when they're just hanging by my sides, my under arms (where I carry a lot of weight) seem to just be remaining the same. I know it takes time and all that, but I just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone knew of any exercises that really helped with under arm toning.

Thanks!

Replies

• cherub14
    cherub14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too, it makes me quite self conscious actually. I do the suggested arm toning and strength training with little to no results. I only have myself to blame for these arms, as I allowed myself to be fat for too many years and now my skin doesn't want to cooperate as much as it might have 15-20 years ago. I've even had a consultation with a plastic surgeon to see what can be done. I came to the conclusion... Yes the arms are not the best, but I am not just a set of arms. I'm an amazing human who is full of life and health. Would I be more confident with long surgery scars running down the insides of both arms? No, of course not. Best of luck in you own arm confidence journey!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Bus driving is a good way to tone those bat wings - lol
    :*
    Seriously, just engage some form of resistance training consistently, and as you lose weight over time, your body will tone up, including your arms. Just give it time, and even when you reach your goal weight, you might still have additional work to do. You may be missing out on the best body shaper exercises out there!

There are some great sites to begin strength training for ladies.
    Here is one...
    Strength Training for Women
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/weight-training-tips
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    hmmm...usually that isn't caused so much by fat, as by loose skin. Sadly, there isn't too much to do about it either way, except work those triceps and firm them up as much as possible.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Some of it is heredity too. My bat wings are much better with weight loss, weight lifting, and time.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've lost 57lbs and lost inches from everywhere except my upper arms, I've only lost an inch. They just don't get smaller, I'm pretty sure my problem is hereditary. They make me very self conscious and I never uncover my arms because of it.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    nana nana nana nana
    nana nana nana nana

Bat-arms!

Bat-arms!

Bat-arms!

Bat-arms!

Bat-arms!

Bat-arms!

Bat-arms!

nana nana nana nana
    nana nana nana nana na!

Bat-arms!

I have the same problem.

(for youngsters who have no idea what the heck the above means:

https://youtu.be/OpWVV8wuM1A)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The upper arm seem to be one of the last places to shrink. But I've experienced huge improvements in arm strength and firmness of the top of upper arm.
  • tschlach
    tschlach Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    In no way this is professional advice but I've been told at the gym I go to that using the heavy boat ropes helps. I'm not sure that's what they are really called but.. For instance you hold onto the ends of the ropes and put your arms out in front of you and bring your arms up and down to make the ropes wiggle like a snake. They are heavy so that helps with toning. Maybe try googling it so you can see what I mean. Hope that helps. Best of luck.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Exercises don't target the fat or skin layer. For more on that, google "spot reduction myth".
    Keep losing body fat and things will improve.
    As far as strength training, you'll get the best results following a professionally-designed, full-body strength program without modifying it, such as NROL, Stronglifts, a personal trainer's plan, etc.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lost 80 pounds, and my arms look pretty awesome, honestly... nicely toned... but I still have them. I don't think they are going anywhere sadly, although they're not that huge anymore. I have stretch marks though and it seems that extra fat/skin likes making 'pockets' in my stretch marks, which doesn't help (my belly is worse)...

So yeah, probably not what you want to hear. They might go away if I lost another 10 pounds or more, but it's just not gonna happen.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    haha, bat wings!

That radar might come in handy, fighting crime and whatnot.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Time and continue to lift.
  • riss526
    riss526 Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    haha, bat wings!

That radar might come in handy, fighting crime and whatnot.

While that was ever so witty, I don't think the comment was necessary. That's why in the title of my post I put those words in quotes because that's what they have been sort of nicknamed over the years and from various different fitness websites and videos I've viewed. But thanks so much for your hilarity on this matter. :wink: All I was doing was trying to ask MFP peers if they have tried or found any exercises other than the ones I mentioned in my original post that they found helpful for toning my under arm area.

To everyone else, thank you for your suggestions in toning my UNDER ARMS. I agree with the posters that have mentioned that it is hereditary vs. loose skin. I've always carried extra weight in my arms, the same way that you see people that have very skinny legs and arms but have very large stomachs. Everyone's weight distributes differently and for me, my under arms have and will always be my biggest area of concern. And also the most difficult to bounce back so to speak while on a weight loss journey. I will continue with my diet and exercise routine and experiment with more weight training and various arm exercises in hopes of improvement.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I've read many of the detailed success stories, and it seems that the results are all over the place. Some have great success at firming up loose skin after significant weight loss, and some do not. Generally speaking, those who are younger or have held the weight for less time seem to be more successful. I've lost 70 lbs. I have some flabby loose skin that succumbs to gravity and hangs down, but my strength training has given me enough definition on the upper part of the muscle that I don't care that much :)
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't lost that much weight yet and I can already tell I'm going to have lots of extra skin for my arms. They're already pretty droopy. I'm hoping at least some of it will tighten up over time. Toning/building muscle should help a little.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    id rather have bat wings than 100 pounds of extra fat....

just call me bat girl ;)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't lose fat from 'spot areas' (If only!). I have dropped almost 30lbs but I too have stubborn bat wings (In the UK, we call them bingo wings!). I continue to do my cardio and lift my weights. I guess these things take time and effort, don't give up. We will have arms of steel one day Hehe! :)
  • LaurenGraham2
    LaurenGraham2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    tschlach wrote: »
    In no way this is professional advice but I've been told at the gym I go to that using the heavy boat ropes helps. I'm not sure that's what they are really called but.. For instance you hold onto the ends of the ropes and put your arms out in front of you and bring your arms up and down to make the ropes wiggle like a snake. They are heavy so that helps with toning. Maybe try googling it so you can see what I mean. Hope that helps. Best of luck.

have also been told the ropes are reau good for toning arms, I my arms have shrunk by 3.5cm since March, I have used the ropes when doing circuits, I also spend 15 minutes in the gym using the dumb bells aswell
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm gonna be that person right now:

I feel pretty lucky, since most other women I know have a very difficult time with arm flubbiness, even as they lose weight and exercise. For me it's usually the first thing to disappear, showing the muscle underneath right away. It's hereditary/genetic or whatever, but for what it's worth, I like using the assisted chin-up/pull-up/dips machine, the rowing machine, and of course push-ups and shoulder presses.
  • bubpuff
    bubpuff Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    EDIT: I think I misunderstood which place on the arms that you were having trouble losing some of the weight, so please disregard my post! Sorry!!

My post wont be terribly helpful, but I'll just say that congratulations on losing the weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. That's so hard and you've made it, way to go! As for the underarm padding, every body carries fat a little differently, as we all know. It's easier for some to get rid of that than it is for others - please don't be discouraged if it wont go! Bat wings are particularly difficult because they are in part the skin that needs to stretch when we raise our arms, and then when we put them down, the skin likes to settle in certain places. One other trick that I can suggest is making sure that when you're putting on your bra or sports bra, take your opposite hand and reach to your opposite armpit and pull forward the skin in kind of a "scooping" motion to make sure all breast tissue is in the cup and encased by the underwire. That way if some of the skin is pushed forward into the cup it might help retrain the tissue.