*still* don't understand calorie adjustment

Options
2»

Replies

• blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    What is your setting on here? I'm set to sedentary and I usually get a positive adjustment after about 3,000 steps.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :s I fill you!! I'm def. not a number person, and I find this so confusing , I got my fitbit flex 4 days ago, sync it to mfp, today I've only walked 4,540 steps and is telling that I've earn extra 184 cals?, I have mfp set to sedentary, so what's this of negative adjustment?? should I enable it?

if anybody can help me too, would be awesome!!

pd: :D is this hijacking a thread? y'all let me know if I need to make my own thread, I came here and was gonna post something similar..
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    :s I fill you!! I'm def. not a number person, and I find this so confusing , I got my fitbit flex 4 days ago, sync it to mfp, today I've only walked 4,540 steps and is telling that I've earn extra 184 cals?, I have mfp set to sedentary, so what's this of negative adjustment?? should I enable it?

pd: :D is this hijacking a thread? y'all let me know if I need to make my own thread, I came here and was gonna post something similar..

It's likely cause you have it set to sedentary that you are getting high positive adjustments with so few steps. MFP expects you, at sedentary, to really not move at all (office job, not doing anything active after) so any walking will result in positive adjustments.

Negative adjustments mean that if MFP thinks you hsould be lightly active, but you're having a very sedentary day (so not burning as much as MFP thinks you should) it will 'take away' calories so that your deficit that you ask MFP to build in (say 500 a day) will be there.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @karyabc There's a mfp fitbit group with loads of info

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

• karyabc
    Options

It's likely cause you have it set to sedentary that you are getting high positive adjustments with so few steps. MFP expects you, at sedentary, to really not move at all (office job, not doing anything active after) so any walking will result in positive adjustments.

Negative adjustments mean that if MFP thinks you hsould be lightly active, but you're having a very sedentary day (so not burning as much as MFP thinks you should) it will 'take away' calories so that your deficit that you ask MFP to build in (say 500 a day) will be there.

hi! thank your for your help,
    Ok so basically my options would be either to update mfp to lightly active or just leave it how it is and enable the negative adjustment then?..
  • karyabc
    Options

thank you christine! I'm going check it out and see if I can understand this whole fitbit thing
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

thank you christine! I'm going check it out and see if I can understand this whole fitbit thing

No worries. I was so stressed out trying to figure it all out when I first got my fitbit. 6mths later and I'm still not 100% sure lol
    I'm so not a numbers person :flushed:

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What's this negative adjustment?? should I enable it?

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE. Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. Adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn & your MFP activity level.

Without negative calorie adjustments enabled, you'll never eat at a true deficit on days you burn fewer calories than your activity level. (But negative adjustments will never put your calories below 1,200.)
    Ok so basically my options would be either to update mfp to lightly active or just leave it how it is and enable the negative adjustment then?

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments, choosing an activity level is a matter of personal preference. Either way, your adjusted goal is TDEE minus deficit. At sedentary, you start with fewer calories in the morning, then get larger adjustments.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Marking this thread so I can figure this out later when I'm not at work.
  • ashleesaid
    ashleesaid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    After a few days of breaking the jawbone in so to speak I think it's giving me a fair amount of cals back. It's not as many as I was getting before but it's not super difficult for me to stay within every day.