2»

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Has anybody ever tried this? If so, opinions please?

For a colonoscopy. Not a whole a lot of fun. :# LOL

I feel you on that one. I live off nothing but sugar free jello and diet coke when I'm testing my basal insulin rates. It requires a minimum of eleven hours of fasting (five hours to clear any mealtime insulin plus six+ hours for the basal test), and it's difficult not to kill anyone during that time.

How often do you have do that? Because fasting really sucks!!

Technically, I should be doing it any time I think my basal insulin rates on my pump need to be adjusted (which can be on a weekly basis depending on hormones, weight loss, and any extra activity), but the test stinks too much for me to do it no more than once every six months. I still haven't been able to fully solidify all 24 hours of my basal rates through testing -most of the time, I would fail the test (typically by experiencing more than a 60mg/dL change in my BG over the six hours), adjust my rates accordingly, and not test again because of how much of a PITA fasting is.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Has anybody ever tried this? If so, opinions please?

For a colonoscopy. Not a whole a lot of fun. :# LOL

I feel you on that one. I live off nothing but sugar free jello and diet coke when I'm testing my basal insulin rates. It requires a minimum of eleven hours of fasting (five hours to clear any mealtime insulin plus six+ hours for the basal test), and it's difficult not to kill anyone during that time.

How often do you have do that? Because fasting really sucks!!

Technically, I should be doing it any time I think my basal insulin rates on my pump need to be adjusted (which can be on a weekly basis depending on hormones, weight loss, and any extra activity), but the test stinks too much for me to do it no more than once every six months. I still haven't been able to fully solidify all 24 hours of my basal rates through testing -most of the time, I would fail the test (typically by experiencing more than a 60mg/dL change in my BG over the six hours), adjust my rates accordingly, and not test again because of how much of a PITA fasting is.

Man, that is tough. Sorry to hear that.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have done it once a month for most of my adult life, not for weight loss reasons but for religious purposes. I found it to have zero affect on weight loss. When coupled with prayer it is spiritually powerful.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've done about 3-24hr fast but mine were for spiritual reasons. Lots of prayer for strength and a closer connection with YHWH. As far as weight loss it works in the short term. When I break fast I can't eat as much because I get full sooner. Usually I drop about 2 pounds. I also dabbled in fast such as the 12/12 and 14/10. I really didn't like those after a while because I felt hungry. Once I went back to eating normal my weight loss plateaued and the only way to lose more was to do another 24hr fast.

In the end I feel like my metabolism slowed down because the scale wasn't moving on a normal calorie amount. So I did a refeed for 10 days and then reduced by 500 cals and now I'm able to lose weight eating 2100 cals a day.

A spiritual fast every now and then is good but I honestly couldn't imagine doing a 24hr fast just because. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've done reduced calorie day of 800 calories after I had a day of 3000 calories. I also did something similar before and after a cruise I went on. But I've never gone completely without food...that's crazy. :) And honestly there's no reason to put yourself through that.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've done numerous 23.5 hour fasts over the years, where I eat only once a day. Sometimes up to 4-5 days in a row. It's a great way to limit what you eat simply and easily.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Fasting is of those things you do because you have to, not because you think it's fun, unless you're mad or stupid, or both.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    @kkenseth ok then, if it doesn't hold onto fat, what does your body function on, when you deny it of nutrients?

It burns through what glycogen stores you have, then starts burning through fat stores.

Nope - that's not how it works either. You absolutely don't have to be completely glycogen depleted to use fat for fuel.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Look up intermittent fasting and the benefits as it applies to 24 hr fasts as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've done it for religious reasons...and then I stopped being religious.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yeah, intermittent fasting is great, I'm getting into it. I eat dinner in the early evening and then don't eat again til dinner the next evening. As long as you are getting enough calories in that one meal (easy for me as I'm a short woman who likes big meals) then you're fine.