Quitting smoking

Options
Hi guys.
After 8 years, I've decided to quit smoking. This isn't the first time, but hopefully I'll succeed.
I'm a bit worried about weight gain and things like that. I know it's probably the addiction talking but I'd really like some advice from people who have quit smoking while losing weight.

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Have friends who have done it using Alan Carr, but ore recently vaping seems to be all the rage and know several who its been invaluable to. You need to look for an alternative to food and not to use it as a substitute.
  • katie120406
    katie120406 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You could try keeping more healthy snacks to hand or home made ice lollies (add real fruit to make them tastier)to grab at home when u feel the urge to smoke ..or eat.. if possible as soon as you feel the urge to do either of these things ...do something to distract yourself ie. .go for a walk round the block, suck a boiled sweet.. .whatever helps to take your mind off smoking /picking..have you tried the support of a stop smoking advisor?..it has to be your choice to give up but they will be able to advise you the best way without adding on the pounds ..which you are obviously doing well at losing! Good luck in your life change! You can do it!
  • RayneScar
    RayneScar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to do this cold turkey, which I managed for 3 days a few months ago haha. I didn't overeat then, and hopefully it'll be the same this time!
    When I turned 24, I said that I wanted to quit smoking by the time I was 25. So I have 2 weeks.. (yellow) fingers crossed!
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey almost 9 months ago. Weight gain wasn't an issue for me as I ate the same amount of calories. And I'd say if you get through the first week, then the hardest part is over.
  • musthavescentscanada
    Options
    I quit several years ago and feel fabulous. It's so so worth it.

I used a nicotine patch for 6 weeks to get over the worst of the cravings. That helped immensely. (My hubby quit cold turkey and didn`t actually end up quitting then...he had to do vaping a few years later, now he's almost completely quit. He`ll smoke behind my back a bit, usually with the guys, however...lol)

Definitely find: #1. A "fidgit" substitute...something you can do when you`d normally be smoking. I found having a drink of water or diet pop through a straw helpful; #2. Find a support. I used SmokersHelpline Online forum. Super helpful and supportive,and there was almost always someone on to chat with. But theres other online forums, toll-free numbers, in-person supports, etc. Just Google away and find something that fits you.

You can do it!! Good luck, keep us posted!
    Cheers, Rach
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I too am in the mist of quitting....so far only 3 cigs today (which is great for me) payday I will be getting the nicotine patch ....wishing you much success .........and congrats to all the ones who have quit :)
  • katie120406
    Options
    Good luck to you too ms_smartypants..welldone for reducing the amount you smoke let us know how you get on with the patch! :)
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Will do Katie and thanks :)
  • katie120406
    Options
    Raynescar. ...keep thinking of your 25th as a non smoker! Good luck and I hope you have a great birthday! !
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I quit while losing weight. I didn't have a problem with gaining any weight or wanting to eat more, or maybe it just seemed that way because I was already struggling with losing weight. Losing weight has been a thousand times harder than stopping smoking.

Tips: I removed all smoking stuff from everywhere around me. When I was overwhelmed with craving, I waited 5 minutes, then 5 minutes more, then another 5 minutes, telling myself I could wait 5 minutes. I had to give up sitting in a particular room while I used my computer because it became a trigger. It was hard for about 6 weeks, less hard after that, but don't underestimate the way you'll bargain with yourself. It was almost a year before I stopped thinking I want a cigarette when I was stressed. It helped a lot to know that there was an end to it, that the craving would go away eventually. It's been 5 years now after smoking for almost 30. You can do it, but don't hesitate to get help from doctors/support groups/anything and anybody you can. If using hard candy or other of the other suggestions helps as well, it's worth it to use them.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Vaping helped me, and chewing gum or candy also helped.its almost 2 yrs that I have stopped.i do get the cravings once in a blue moon but I haven't smoked and I don't gape as much anymore. I didn't gain weight cause I started working out right away and drinking shakes and eating a little better. Good luck.
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The most important thing for me was to replace the smoking habit with something else (for me it was sugar free gum, I got through packs and packs in a week)

That was 12 years ago and I managed to lose around 3 stones doing the weight watchers diet at the time.

The whole 'putting weight on' for smokers who give up is really down to snacking instead of smoking.

Good luck, it will be the best thing for you!
  • RayneScar
    RayneScar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all your advice! I haven't had a smoke in about 15 hours now and I''m doing ok, but in fairness I was asleep for a while :tongue:
    Congratulations to everyone who's quit, I hope I have the same success!
  • N15472
    N15472 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used a stop smoking app. Worked well for me. I'll be stopped 3yrs in January. I have put weight on tho. I was an unhealthy 7st 11lb when I quit. I'm now down to 9st 8 frm 10.4 at my heaviest. But I did eat lots & lots of sweets. I see it that you can always lose the weight again after. I will never want to be 7.11 again tho. I'm aiming for 9st. Well done on your 15 hrs. Keep it up. *Nope* not one puff ever! :) kept me going.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I quit almost 10 years ago. I had smoked for 12 years. The first thing I did was join a gym and hired a trainer, that way I had no excuses as to my working out routine. She helped me figure out a solid eating pattern, had me track what I was eating and was a great motivation to me.
    I was hypnotized and that helped tremendously!!! I would recommend it. It takes a lot of will power to give up such an addiction, but if you are commited you will succeed!
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    What helped me was keeping a pack of smokes on hand and talking myself out of having one. For me it was much easier to say no when I had the option of smoking but made it my choice to not do so. When I stopped buying them I would freak out because I didn't have any and would buy them and end up smoking an entire pack. I haven't smoked in months and I still keep a pack in my nightstand drawer!
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I quit almost four years ago and I'm so happy I did. As much as I loved smoking (and sadly, I LOVED it), I lived in constant fear of getting lung cancer. Since quitting, I know I've done everything in my power to stay healthy, so that's a tremendous relief. I've also been able to dramatically increase my "stamina"...I used to be constantly out of breath or fearful that I'd have a heart attack when exercising. I don't have that fear any longer and I've increased my physical activity tenfold. Best of luck to you :)