I gained inches?!

Options
I am so angry right now! I have painstakingly - and I mean painstakingly - counted calories this week, my first week dieting. I'm not doing any weight training and somehow I have put on half a centimetre on my beck and 3cm on my hips which is a huge amount and seems a lot for a week!
My waist stayed the same.

Is this even possible? My weight has fluctuated over the week but overall I have lost 2kg. I'm completely baffled, has this happened to anyone?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My first guess is that you have the measuring tape in a slightly different spot.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Yes it happened to me the first few weeks. I wasn't a pro at measuring myself exactly and likely just screwed it up somehow. And I was probably bloated and retaining water too. So it does happen . don't get discouraged though. Keep on going and it will get easier in time.
    Remember to weigh every bite of food that you eat and log it accurately. As long as your eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. Since weight loss isn't linear, sometimes it doesn't happen when we'd like it to though. Be patient and keep going !!
    Remember that as long as your at a deficit, you will lose. So don't give up
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yes, my waist size can go up half an inch during TOM or after eating. I've noticed my hip measurement go up a tad after a heavy lower body workout.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Probably measuring in a different spot, don't worry about it.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an error and/or TOM. I take measurements about 4-5 days after my period is over, after the bloating and water weight is gone. Taking them more often than once a month is probably not helpful.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    jubilee79 wrote: »
    I am so angry right now! I have painstakingly - and I mean painstakingly - counted calories this week, my first week dieting. I'm not doing any weight training and somehow I have put on half a centimetre on my beck and 3cm on my hips which is a huge amount and seems a lot for a week!
    My waist stayed the same.

Is this even possible? My weight has fluctuated over the week but overall I have lost 2kg. I'm completely baffled, has this happened to anyone?

You don't gain weight or inches in a week.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself once a month and try and find an exact spot to measure it the same way every time.
  • jubilee79
    jubilee79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting and measuring for years, I triple checked my first measurements to make sure I didn't mis-measure and I double checked yesterday's measurements. I haven't made a mistake with them.

You absolutely can gain/lose inches and weight in a week, I did it for years with a personal trainer.

I've never lost weight and gained inches so if people have had bloating issues and this has happened to them I would think that's the most plausible theory. Thanks for the input everyone.