How accurate is the calories counted by the cardio machines?

Options
I'm 236lb at 5'8 and I semi-speed walk for 45 minutes at a speed of 3.8 mph followed by 5-minute cooldown. The calorie showed 370 on the treadmill but I get bunch of different results on various websites.. Does anyone know which site is sort of reliable for getting an accurate counter?
Much thanks in advance.

Replies

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I would either ecord 3/4 of the number of calories the machine gives you or invest in a heart rate monitor of your own. I think the ones with the straps are most accurate. Really though, it isn't an exact science. To start off with I'd recommend just using one method (either the machine, MFP or HRM) and sticking to it for a month or so, then reevaluate. If eating 3/4 of the exercise calories isn't getting the results you need change the percentage.

Personally I use the MFP figures (my HRM broke and I'm waiting to get my fitbit surge for my birthday). I eat 100% of steady state calories, 75% of circuit/calisthenic calories and 50% strength/weight lifting calories. That's working for me so far.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Same stats as you when i started.
    As long as you input age and weight,its accurate enough to start with,as a general guide.
    Never eat back 100% of calories burned tho.
    G luck.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Take 50 to 75% and judge against weight loss over 6-8 weeks
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It depends on the person. For example I'm 5'6'', 172lbs. If I do 45 minutes on the elliptical MFP tells me I burned almost 500 calories (which is ridiculous), the machine tells me 270, so I log 200. It's been working so far and I'm losing at a steady rate of 1lb per week, so I think 75% of what the machine says sounds about right. You'll just have to test it for yourself though.