Why hundreds of sit ups a day isn't advisable

Options
Six packs

1tgyoglg3wyz.jpg

200 sit ups a day aren't going to give you them.

I've seen these challenges on websites getting people to do X amount of sit ups per day for a month.

All this is going to give you is more size around your stomach and zero focus on the lower back muscles.

Treat your abs like any other muscle, if you train them enough they will grow, but with body fat still over them, your stomach will just look bigger.

You might have the perception that you can 'target' areas of your body with exercises to lose fat in said area.
Sadly it just doesn't work like this.

You need to engage most if not all of your major muscles in a workout to help lose the fat. The more of your body you use, the more energy you expend, meaning more calories lost.

So I recommend a full body resistance training routine, a healthy calorie deficit & heaps of water (2-3L a day)
six.jpg 49.9K

Replies

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Well said OP!
    Core work is good - no debating this.

I work core as an overall, full body approach that involves strength training with compound lifts as well as targeting core with planks, sit-ups and leg raises. To lower body fat, diet is key, and that's when things stand out - even for an old guy past age 50....
    jpnt99htopjk.jpg

• Sangsterr
    Sangsterr Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Definitely, it's good to do exercises that focus purely on the core but I encourage full body movements, the benefits are almost endless