How to maintain without gaining

I just hit my goal for weight loss and am now maintaining. I started by upping my calories by 100 per day but stuck with same exercise. I've gained back 1.2 pounds in 2 days. HELP!!

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Are you still weighing all your foods ?

Also , my weight fluctuations are insane . I can go up 8 lbs in a day but I know its water weight and normal. I dont even sweat it because I know as long as I stay within my calorie range then it can't be a real gain.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    If you're gaining weight, you're eating more than you're burning.
    Make sure you're eating the same amount.
    +1 on the normal fluctuation thing... chart for a month or 2.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Your body isn't gonna have 1 static weight. Pick a goal range and stay within it.

The 1.2 jump is water weight. Don't panic, just keep logging and stick with it for at least a few weeks.

~Lyssa
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Well, if you're upping 100 per DAY you might see some water weight gain. I personally prefer upping daily calories by 100 each WEEK. I saw no rain this way and it was easier to see my true maintenance calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    To gain 1 pound of fat, you'd have to eat 3500 over your maintenance calories... I doubt that's what happened... it's water weight.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited August 2015
    Try upping your calories a little more slowly. Adding 100 calories every day may be too much. Stay where you're at now and if you haven't gained more than just the normal water weight, then you can add 100 more in a week.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    1-2 lb from day to day is likely just water weight. Set a weight range for maintenance and you won't go so crazy.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Did you switch to maintenance the day you hit your goal weight? I think it's best to wait until you're consistently within a few pounds of your goal weight.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    I'm going to gain 2 lbs today because today's my rest day! I sweat like crazy so my weights less on workout days from that. My weight also goes up from water by eating out or high sodium foods! There's no way you really gained a lb unless you ate 3500 above maintenance and then didn't move much! Take a deep breath your panicking over nothing.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Like the others have said, it is water weight.
    But also glycocen stores that were low due to your calorie defecit that are now being replenished.
    Furthermore, chances are that since you are eating more now, you are purting more food weight wise into your body.

If you just slowly increase your calories, you are still eating at a defecit untill you reach your maintenance calories, so you will still lose a little weight. Also, this is your body doing its job, it is recovering from being at a calorie defecit for a while.
    So just increase your daily calorie allowance with a 100 and eat like that for a week or two and then up it with another 100 untill you reach maintenance calories. Once you reach that, stay at that for atleast a month to see if you need to adjust.
    Keep in mind that weight fluctuation is natural. I can gain or lose a pound day to day.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Unless you ate 4200 calories over maintenance in two days I don't think you have a problem ;)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    You will also need to experiment a bit with what your maintenance calories are. Mine are only 200 calories more than my losing weight calories. I'm small and older; as unfair as that seems, that's just the way it is.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    You can't possibly have gained that much weight. It's a fluctuation. Measure. Make sure you didn't add all the calories in carbs, which can make you hold water. Go for a walk. Hold on for another week.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Fluctuations are normal, its not real gain as above posters have explained already...
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    I agree with what everyone else has said......it's just water weight.
    I wouldn't weigh yourself too often either.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    jenpretlow wrote: »
    I just hit my goal for weight loss and am now maintaining. I started by upping my calories by 100 per day but stuck with same exercise. I've gained back 1.2 pounds in 2 days. HELP!!
    I have maintained for nearly 3 years now.
    Nothing much changes and maintenance is not easy.
    I engage body recomposition where I eat to surplus on strength training days and eat with a deficit on cardio days.
    It works.
    The key to success in weight maintenance is having strong goals. The reason most regain their weight is a lack of passion to push on, because the journey ended for them. With new goals, the journey to become your best merely continues.
    I call it sharpening the saw, and that's from the book 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People.
    Consider:
    • set new goals
    • make a plan
    • take action
    • stay motivated
    The keys to success are universal, and the above formula applies to every area of our lives.
    Success is a choice.

Good Luck
    :)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited August 2015
    jenpretlow wrote: »
    I've gained back 1.2 pounds in 2 days. HELP!!

That's a normal weight fluctuation which can occur for many reasons.

Have a goal weight range of 3 lbs less than your goal weight and 3lbs more . If your weight consistently is above or below that range for 4 weeks then consider changing the amount you eat.

Otherwise just carry on.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    I have been in maintenance for over two years. My weight is generally within a range of about 165lbs plus/minus 4-5lbs, depending on a lot of factors, but mostly due to exercise variations and sodium intake. I don't think anyone stays at a precise weight without any fluctuations.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Since it is only 1.2 pounds, don't worry about it. Just keep doing what you're doing. If you get more than two or three pounds from your goal weight, then adjust your eating and exercise accordingly.
  • jen73fit4life
    jen73fit4life Posts: 24 Member
    Did you switch to maintenance the day you hit your goal weight? I think it's best to wait until you're consistently within a few pounds of your goal weight.
    Yes I did. MFP switched me from 1200 calories to 1670. I was normally eating 1100 a day. So the day it switched to maintenance, I ate 1250 or something like that. I'm worried that because I normally ate 1000-1100 a day I put my body into starvation mode and anything more than that, I'll gain. Yesterday I ate 1050. I'm just not sure what to do.