Washing hair constantly?

Options
Becca_250
Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently upped my exercise to five times a week. As I'm a big sweaty mess afterwards, I like to wash my hair. Mostly it's to wash the sweat from my scalp more so than tbe actual hair! Recently, I've been washing it almost every day and aside from being time consuming, I'm concerned about the overuse of products and heat on it. Is this just a by-product of exercising that I have to live with?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you're drying your hair, too? What products are you using?

What's your usual routine if you're not taking the extra shower post exercise?

~Lyssa
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair a lot as well, but this give me the opportunity to try different hair styles.
    Today, I went with "wavy"

omnc0q5xmgif.jpeg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I wash my hair a lot as well, but this give me the opportunity to try different hair styles.

omnc0q5xmgif.jpeg

Show off B)
  • Becca_250
    Options
    Yes I have to dry it most of the time as it's long/straight and takes ages to dry on its own. I use shampoo for the roots, conditioner for the ends and heat spray all over. I also use a hair oil sometimes if it's feeling dry. I use a hairdryer to dry, no straighteners, but due to the length it takes about 15 minutes.

If I had a whole week not exercising I'd just wash every other day in the mornings. During the week I tend to exercise at night and at the weekends, in the morning (I usually have Tuesday and Friday as rest days).
  • Becca_250
    Options

omnc0q5xmgif.jpeg

Hahaha maybe I should go for that look too! :wink:
  • JdoubleJ
    JdoubleJ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I need to wash my hair everyone I workout too (c.5 times a week) I use a gentle shsmpoo/conditioner and I use a hair oil on the ends. I try to towel/air dry it as much as possible before using the hairdryer and I don't use straighteners often. I have fine greasy hair though, perhaps if your hair is a different texture you could use dry shampoo? I've accepted it as an effect of exercise.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I dry shampoo and wash my hair only once per week. Sometimes I'll wash just my bangs. My hair color is way too expensive to be washing it out every day-then again, I only lift and don't work up a huge sweat. I think I'd do the same if I did cardio though.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have long hair, a lot of it and sweat a ton. But I wash every 3 days. Day 1 I blow dry. Day 2 I use a wet comb for the ends in the shower just to straighten any weird waves. Day 3 dry shampoo and an updo (braid, bun, etc). Don't be afraid to just let the sweat dry! I do shower every day!!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Often I'll try and exercise in the evening and then first thing before work the next day to avoid washing my hair twice in 12 hours.

If I'm running I have to wash my hair because it just gets soaked, but if I'm rowing/using the elliptical/doing resistance work I try and tie it up, use a headband and touch it as little as possible so I can get away with dry shampoo and maybe just washing my fringe. If I swim, I just rinse my hair and condition the ends. My hair is quite fine so I try to let it dry naturally to offset the frequent washing and straightening. A good conditioning treatment once a fortnight helps too.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Are you familiar with "Conditioner Only washing" (aka co-washing)? You do not use shampoo, you only use a conditioner that has some detergency. The surfactants in shampoos are what strips and dries out your hair so if you wash frequently and don't use shampoo you won't dry out your hair. The most well known cleansing conditioner is Wen but you don't need to use something like that. I know many co-washers who use cheap conditioners like VO5 and Suave. If you use a lot of product or your conditioner had silicone in it (dimethecone, amodimethecone are the most common) you should use shampoo once in a while. Some do once a week, others do once a month depending on how much build up you get. The ingredient you need to look for are cationic conditioners and the most common ones will be:
    Behentrimonium chloride
    Behentrimonium methosulfate (gentler)
    Benzalkonium chloride
    Cetrimonium chloride
    Cocotrimonium chloride
    Quaternium-15
    Quaternium-18 Bentonite
    Quaternium-18 Hectonite
    Quaternium-22
    Stearalkonium chloride

I have long hair (almost to waist) and I co-wash only. I do not use other products and I make my own conditioner without silicone so I use shampoo maybe once in a year. I swim 3 x a week so I wash often to get the sweat, salt, and chlorine out of my hair (it gets in there a little even with a swimcap).
  • Becca_250
    Options
    Thanks for your responses all!

I'm also sometimes trying to pre-empt the next day. I'm not long in from exercising today, I washed my hair fully yesterday and I'm out running tomorrow night (after work for which it needs to be presentable)! So maybe just dry shampoo today then wash properly tomorrow night?
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am also a co-washer (just conditioner). I started using a suave naturals (coconut) conditioner based on rec's and haven't changed since. I also mostly air dry wirh a little initial blow drying and am picky about styling products. My hairdresser found a great wash & wear cut for my chin-length curly bob. About 1x per week I use a mild shampoo.
  • Becca_250
    Options
    A fortnightly conditioning treatment is a good idea too, I'll need to Google some good hair masks!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I dry shampoo and wash my hair only once per week. Sometimes I'll wash just my bangs. My hair color is way too expensive to be washing it out every day-then again, I only lift and don't work up a huge sweat. I think I'd do the same if I did cardio though.

I do the same. I refuse to spend 1.5 hrs per day washing and drying my hair. I wrap it up in a bandana for workouts then let it down afterwards. I only wash it once per week , I use a shower cap in the shower to keep it dry.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    ScreeField wrote: »
    I am also a co-washer (just conditioner). I started using a suave naturals (coconut) conditioner based on rec's and haven't changed since. I also mostly air dry wirh a little initial blow drying and am picky about styling products. My hairdresser found a great wash & wear cut for my chin-length curly bob. About 1x per week I use a mild shampoo.

I'm curious about co-washing...did you find your hair looking/feeling greasier as you switched from daily shampoo to just conditioning? I kinda wanna give it a try myself!

~Lyssa
  • Becca_250
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Are you familiar with "Conditioner Only washing" (aka co-washing)? You do not use shampoo, you only use a conditioner that has some detergency. The surfactants in shampoos are what strips and dries out your hair so if you wash frequently and don't use shampoo you won't dry out your hair. The most well known cleansing conditioner is Wen but you don't need to use something like that. I know many co-washers who use cheap conditioners like VO5 and Suave. If you use a lot of product or your conditioner had silicone in it (dimethecone, amodimethecone are the most common) you should use shampoo once in a while. Some do once a week, others do once a month depending on how much build up you get. The ingredient you need to look for are cationic conditioners and the most common ones will be:
    Behentrimonium chloride
    Benzalkonium chloride
    Cetrimonium chloride
    Cocotrimonium chloride
    Quaternium-15
    Quaternium-18 Bentonite
    Quaternium-18 Hectonite
    Quaternium-22
    Stearalkonium chloride

I have long hair (almost to waist) and I co-wash only. I do not use other products and I make my own conditioner without silicone so I use shampoo maybe once in a year. I swim 3 x a week so I wash often to get the sweat, salt, and chlorine out of my hair (it gets in there a little even with a swimcap).

I'll have a look at the ingredients on my bottles. I'm in the UK so may be slightly different brands. Do you use product on the whole head or just the ends? Does your hair also need time to adjust? I'm at work Mon-fri so may struggle to let it get worse before it gets better if that was the case
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If mine gets extra sweaty and I don't want to wash it, I just use a dry shampoo. If I don't sweat a lot I can go three days (sometimes 4 days but that's stretching it) without washing it.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

I'm curious about co-washing...did you find your hair looking/feeling greasier as you switched from daily shampoo to just conditioning? I kinda wanna give it a try myself!

~Lyssa

Just the opposite. Since I started co-washing my hair has been in better shape than it had been for a long time and my waves became bouncier and more pronounced. I never had any kind of transition period.

• ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

Nope. Not greasy at all. But I have light textured (but thick) hair that's tended to be on the dry side.

Sometimes a styling product will make it feel a little greasy--if I run into that problem, I ditch the product and look for another.

And, if I am around smoke (bbq, campfire, smokers), I always want to wash with shampoo.

I ran across the "Curly Girl" method website -- sorry, can't remember url. Total lifesaver.

• earlnabby
    Options
    Becca_250 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Behentrimonium chloride
    Benzalkonium chloride
    Cetrimonium chloride
    Cocotrimonium chloride
    Quaternium-15
    Quaternium-18 Bentonite
    Quaternium-18 Hectonite
    Quaternium-22
    Stearalkonium chloride

I'll have a look at the ingredients on my bottles. I'm in the UK so may be slightly different brands. Do you use product on the whole head or just the ends? Does your hair also need time to adjust? I'm at work Mon-fri so may struggle to let it get worse before it gets better if that was the case

My routine at the gym shower is:
    1. rinse the swimcap and remove
    2. wet the hair
    3. slather on the conditioner,especially close to the scalp and clip the hair up out of the way
    4. take off the swimsuit and rinse under the shower
    5. soap up and rinse the body
    6. get more water on the hair and lather up
    7. rinse
    8. dry off and get dressed
    9. comb and finish off hair (dry, put up, whatever)

Some use a small amount of extra conditioner on their ends. I don't bother.