Nice cream Recipes

Options
EXNING
EXNING Posts: 20 Member
if you're new to the game, nice cream is an ice cream alternative made from frozen fruit. Typically done with bananas as the base, you add fruit and a little liquid to make an ice cream consistancy, i guess like an acai bowl. I normally top mine with buckwheat groats, chia seeds, almonds and dates but Id love to see everyone elses take on it!

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I love making ice cream. I still make it for others.

Do you heat the bananas on the stove, mix them with eggs and put it into an ice cream maker or do you just blend it up and freeze it?
  • tillthefitladysings
    tillthefitladysings Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My go-to is frozen bananas, cocoa powder, blackstrap molasses (for iron), and peanut butter. Sometimes I top it with almond slivers or hemp hearts. It's my favorite, it's like a Reese's in a mason jar. :tongue:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I love making ice cream. I still make it for others.

Do you heat the bananas on the stove, mix them with eggs and put it into an ice cream maker or do you just blend it up and freeze it?

You freeze the fruit and then blend it...adding liquid if necessary.

I like the idea of renaming it "NICE Cream". Op. I hope that name catches on to distinguish it from ice cream. Its way too good to be passing itself off as a knock off of anything and its texture and taste are distinct and wonderful. Especially when made with bananas.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    When I make this I use up overripe bananas that I've frozen. I add cocoa powder and peanut butter or cinnamon and nuts. Haven't made it in awhile since a faulty outlet fried both my blenders.
  • Kalikel
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Do you add alcohol?

Where are the recipes for this stuff?

I tried making a fruity frozen thing, but without the alcohol, it just froze rock hard and I do not ingest any alcohol.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It sounds quite like my very very thick smoothies (banana, milk, fruits/berries or nut butter/cocoa).

I've heard about nice cream before. Did the yonanas never catch on?
  • tillthefitladysings
    Options
    It sounds quite like my very very thick smoothies (banana, milk, fruits/berries or nut butter/cocoa).

I've heard about nice cream before. Did the yonanas never catch on?
    Some people use them. I tried to use my roommate's but I found it hard to make flavors, like I just put the banana in and it came out banana and I had no clue how to add anything without just mixing it in with a spoon afterwards. Maybe I did it wrong, though.
  • tillthefitladysings
    Options
    Do you add alcohol?

I tried making a fruity frozen thing, but without the alcohol, it just froze rock hard and I do not ingest any alcohol.

Here's just like the quick basic:
    Freeze bananas, put them in a blender with the liquid of your choosing (I often do organic soy milk) and add whatever flavors you want. Blend and enjoy. :smile:
    Don't use too much liquid, because then it gets more smoothie than nice cream.
    If you have a decent blender, it should come out nice and thick, and you can eat it with a spoon. It won't be quite the consistency of ice cream, but it's really dang good!
    Hope that's helpful!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Do you add alcohol?

You normally start with the fruit already frozen and then eat it immediately. I read that if you do need to re-freeze it after blending, adding some fats will help keep it from freezing solid. I usually use PB2 but if I were going to freeze it after making it, I'd probably try regular peanut butter or some soaked raw cashews.

No need for a recipe: you literally peel an overripe banana, cut it into 1/4 to 1/2 inch "coins", freeze it, and then process until smooth (it takes a while, don't stop when it's still crumbly - it gets better). Done. Add-ins optional.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    I'm sorry. I was thinking people were using fruits other than bananas. I don't eat those.

I was hoping for a fruity ice-cream-type thing that didn't freeze solid without alcohol. I really enjoyed ice cream and am always on the lookout for some low-fat, non-alcohol kind that doesn't freeze rock hard, but tastes good.

Yes, some fat is helpful to keep things smooth. Lots of ice creams have custard bases. A little alcohol is nice for fruitier, less fat-based stuff, too. They put alcohol in sherbets to keep them from freezing too hard.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I am often making ice cream out of bananas plus a bit of cocoa and honey. My kids love it, banana-chocolate is a great combination and much better than a smoothie on a very hot day.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm sorry. I was thinking people were using fruits other than bananas. I don't eat those.

I was hoping for a fruity ice-cream-type thing that didn't freeze solid without alcohol. I really enjoyed ice cream and am always on the lookout for some low-fat, non-alcohol kind that doesn't freeze rock hard, but tastes good.

Yes, some fat is helpful to keep things smooth. Lots of ice creams have custard bases. A little alcohol is nice for fruitier, less fat-based stuff, too. They put alcohol in sherbets to keep them from freezing too hard.

I make often a combination of fruit and condensed milk (sweetened) or fruit, condensed milk and yoghurt, when I am not in the mood of preparing a custard base and waiting for it to cool. It does not freeze solid and some combinations, like strawberry based or peach based, it tastes better than the traditional custard based recipe. Obviously it is not zero fat, but if you use something like 1 part condensed milk, two parts fruit (not juice), two parts greek yoghurt (2% fat will do), it still stays soft enough to serve, but has significantly less fat and calories than any cream based recipe.
  • tillthefitladysings
    Options

The reason bananas are so nice is because, when frozen and blended, they have a really creamy and thick texture. I've never tried using a different base, but you could experiment with other creamy fruits if you'd like. Maybe avocados? Not sure if that would work, ha! I'll look into alternatives and let you know.
  • tillthefitladysings
    Options
    Here, looks like this has some with different bases for those who aren't feeling banana:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/amazing-vegan-ice-cream-recipes#.stGo3yzjz
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Here, looks like this has some with different bases for those who aren't feeling banana:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/amazing-vegan-ice-cream-recipes#.stGo3yzjz

Thanks! I'll check it out! :)
  • tillthefitladysings
    Options

Thanks! I'll check it out! :)

Yup! Just be aware, if you're a vegan, that some of the recipes seem to have some non-vegan items that can easily be switched out for vegan ones, so take those with a grain of salt. Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

The reason bananas are so nice is because, when frozen and blended, they have a really creamy and thick texture. I've never tried using a different base, but you could experiment with other creamy fruits if you'd like. Maybe avocados? Not sure if that would work, ha! I'll look into alternatives and let you know.

The ultrasweet (Mexican/Pakistani/idk but longer, thinner and yellower than the ordinary) mango can be used instead of banana in smoothies, it has the same emulsifying properties, but the flavor is quite intense and could be an aquired taste - but worth giving a try if you absolutely can't have banana.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    my absolute favourite nice cream is made with my yonana's maker thing . I just put vanilla extract on each frozen banana piece then i roll them all in cocoa powder & put them through the machine

comes out like chocolate soft serve would and omg its amazing. sometimes ill add mint extract instead of the vanilla.. seriously i could eat a huge bowl of it every single day if only my bananas would be perfectly ripe all the damn time! oh i like to top it with peanut butter sometimes too

i will add in frozen blueberries,frozen cherries or frozen orange segments with the chocolate bananas which is really good too

Watermelon nice cream is good , just frozen bananas ,vanilla extract,frozen watermelon ...mmmmmm

anyway i love my yonana's machine but you can easily do all these things with a blender or food processor too

• tillthefitladysings
    Options
    @kommodevaran I know what you're talking about, I think! I've only heard them called champagne mangoes, but google tells me that's the same thing.
    @salembambi Dang, I need to get better at using one, then! I completely failed last time I tried to use a Yonanas. Have you been able to add peanut butter at all? I love putting peanut butter in my nice cream. :smile:
  • tillthefitladysings
    Options
    Tried something new tonight. Frozen banana, ripe strawberries, cocoa powder, and almond milk. I wish I'd had one more banana for texture and sweetness, but otherwise it was SO YUMMYYYY.