Didn't realize it

Options
stacys29
stacys29 Posts: 8 Member
Today is my first day with MFP and its only 4:30 and I have 59 calories left. This is a shocker to me cause I thought we did good today! I hope seeing the calories in front of me will help wake me up to reality to see what I am really feeding our bodies.

Replies

• mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Stick with it :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You've got this. This happens to everyone once in awhile. Eat a some nutrient dense calories to get you thru tonight and start new tomorrow.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I think most of us had that shock. If you want another one, get a food scale. That is, if you don't already have one.
    Welcome to MFP, stick with it, it works :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Look at your day and work out what better choices you could have made and make them tomorrow

Do the same tomorrow

Try pre-logging your day
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I found it useful to log the whole day first thing in the morning and then just eat off the list. That way, I had no surprises.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Open your diary and we can give you more specific advice...
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Now that your eyes are wide open I'm sure you will make better choices. Try kicking it up with exercise too. Like Sherry said a meal plan helps. Maybe sit down with your family and chart a meal plan for the day or even better a week.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Please eat a decent dinner. Don't try to go the rest of the day on 59 calories. Have a sensible dinner, and try to plan your day better tomorrow. If these first few days seem hard, set yourself to maintenance and just track how you normally eat. See where you can make LIFE LONG adjustments. Too many people change too far too fast and it blows up in their face. Since you have 100lbs to lose, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Set yourself up for success and go slow.
    Good Luck and add me as a friend if you want!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oh, yeah. Really takes planning. I try to never put anything into my mouth I don't already know the calories for. Logging in advance is a good idea as mentioned above. If you know you are going to go out to dinner, look up the restaurant's nutritional info if on line and plan you day accordingly. I also keep many restaurant nutritional pdf's on my smart phone so that I always have them at my fingertips. Salads and appetizers are NOT usually the lowest calorie counts on the menu. Most dinner salads at a restaurant are more calories than I should eat in a day! Same with appetizers. Don't think you instinctively know. A chicken breast with sauce or cheese is probably more calories than a small steak. Battered fish will be too. So, the old ideas of what you should choose are often just wrong.

Also, if you look at most peoples' diaries and see what put them over, it is usually one thing. And usually that one thing probably wouldn't have been missed a half hour later. It is an impulse food and not all that satisfying. I see it time and again where someone has a really great diary for the day even with some controlled snacks etc. and then suddenly there is one really high calorie candy bar that probably only took them 30 seconds and two bites to eat that put them over! I've done it myself.

You can do this! It gets easier.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If it were 4:30 and I had 59 calories left, I'd make a big pot of steamed broccoli. I'd also eat a boiled egg and maybe a string cheese. I'd be slightly over, but I probably wouldn't go to bed hungry. And then I would plan the next day a little better.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Go out for a 20 minute walk at a moderate pace. This will earn you a few more calories for the day. :)