Three Pounds to Go!

Options
As of today, I only have three pounds to go to reach my goal weight. As I've neared my goal, my weight loss has slowed to 1/2 to 1 pound per week. I know some say to start adding calories when you're this close, but a huge part of me wants to watch my calories even more closely so that I can "be there" at goal, then start adding. Any advice on what is best to do?

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

Your approach to maintenance is totally up to you. I've had to add more calories as I've gotten closer just because I'm hungry! But if you're not needing the extra calories, you can keep chugging along as you are, and then adding more calories when you reach goal. (That was my initial plan!)

I've read that it's a good idea to wait to transition to maintenance until you're at your goal weight (range) for 2ish weeks before you start upping your calories.

You'll be there so soon! Can't wait to join you in maintenance!
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I was almost there, at 62.3kgs and 62 kgs was my goal. That was about 4 weeks ago. Then I had a very long journey and came home after months abroad. I continued to fast 2 days a week but I didnt watch cals too closely.
    Anyway after 2 weeks I weighed myself and I had gained over 2 kgs!! I was 64.5kgs. It shocked me how easily the weight went on. Now I am fasting 4 days a week to loose the extra bit ,and I am sticking to 1400 cals on NFDs. So I think maintenance will be a nightmare for me. It looks like I will have to fast 3 days a week to maintain. It sounds crazy to be honest, and family are worried about me. Any tips please?
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I didnt increase my calories until I actually weighed at or below my goal for a few times - it was unacceptable to me to "stop" just a few ounces before actually reaching my goal, but I guess this is a personal choice. I'm now adding 200 calories per every few weeks to find my TDEE (losing a few more lb in the process)
  • tabletmfp
    tabletmfp Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to say 2 of my fasts p are 000 cal and 2 are 500 cal. I know they say with short term fasting we don't loose muse but I'm not so sure! Have I damaged my metabolism again??
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    tabletmfp wrote: »
    Oh I forgot to say 2 of my fasts p are 000 cal and 2 are 500 cal. I know they say with short term fasting we don't loose muse but I'm not so sure! Have I damaged my metabolism again??

This is a terrible idea.

You're averaging 740 calories a day...?! Your weight only fluctuated up. There's no need for this.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I stuck it out until the end because that gave me a 'zone' to stay within. So my goal was 150. I celebrated being in the zone at 155. Stayed at a deficit until 150. I upped my calories at 150 and have been in that 150-155 zone in maintenance for several years. Like you, those last 5 pounds came off very slowly. But I used that time to make sure I had a very sustainable diet and basically I was comfortable eating at that level. I also eased into maintenance by getting a fitbit to track my walking and up my exercise (I had always eaten exercise calories back).

I like the idea of being in a zone because you know your weight will bounce around a bit. I weight daily because I know I bounce around. Every day I'm in the zone I celebrate.

Great job! Keep going.