Tips on making time to exercise with full time job and kids?

Options
Kids are 10 and 15. I leave at 7 and get home around 7. Need motivation to do at least something every other day. It's hard when I have so many excuses like my feet hurt or I feel guilty for taking the time away from the kids or the chores.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Take them to the park and run with them. Win win.
  • lalahunt
    lalahunt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Workout videos at home?
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Doing some type of exercise in the morning (yoga etc)
    Go to a skating rink
    ride bikes together
    go swimming
  • althea5883
    althea5883 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I workout before I go to work. It means getting up am hour earlier, but I find its worth it.
  • xenyen
    xenyen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wake up early and do some yoga for ten minutes... you'll feel great, and you can make it a walk or run, and increase in intensity as you get into the routine.. you will love the quiet early morning and the buzz will be with you all day. And you could take the kids out with you for a walk in the evenings.. they can play ball in the park and you walk around.. start with a short walk around the block, then increase.

If you start with a big heavy intense routine you'll feel pressured... build gradually and it will be fun and definitely you will WANT more.. so will your kids. I got my kids to join in.. they often do sessions and always walks with me.

Good luck
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    They walk up and down a very long hallway at my job. There's also a walking route outside that is popular when it's nice out. I took some shoes to work to give it a try but haven't done it yet lol

But seriously, though. Even ten minutes every other hour in lieu of a lunch break would suffice!
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I would love someone to touch base with at 5 am so I would make sure I get up and workout before getting ready for work. I too have to arrive at 7 am
  • pandapotlovebug
    pandapotlovebug Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Take them to the park and run with them. Win win.
    I try this on most Saturdays with the youngest and a dog!
    lalahunt wrote: »
    Workout videos at home?
    I have a treadmill and do some circuit or hiit. But it's hard to get up early enough to have enough time in the morning and after kids go to bed I'm mostly too tired!
    I'd love to do it in the morning. I have more energy then. If only if get to bed early enough. ....
    Just need to eliminate excuses and get motivated. Need to find a way tomake it a habit.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I have three kids (13, 7 & 2.5)
    I drive 90 minutes every Mon, Tues and Wed to study nursing.
    I work Fri, Sat,Sun.
    I get up at 4.15am every second day and go to the gym for an hour before school or work.
    Now honestly I'm like the world's most laziest person. If I can do it, you definitely can.

Can you share some tips on getting the time and inclination to do my housework?
  • newlife0202
    newlife0202 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    a treadmill and your body is all you need. First things first make sure your nutrition is on point. After you got that down, go ahead and do some treadmill work three to four days a week. Search on youtube for some home body-weight exercises. You would be suprised what you can find laying around the house and turning into work out equipment. I struggle with this too, have a active three year old and i work monday through friday 12 hr shifts. I work out at midnight at the gym, sleep 5 hours, repeat. You can do it..you really can. but first, make sure your getting proper nutrition. Add me! id like to help any way I can.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am impressed with all the working parents on this site who find time to exercise, well done! I don't have kids and find it difficult enough to fit in the small amount of exercise I do, between work and life.

*applause*
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Every little bit counts. There's no rule that you have to get a long work out all at once. Suggestion; wake up just 15-20 minutes earlier get a stretch and at home work out, resistant bands are awesome for that, then when you get to work park as far away as you can get a lil walk in, walk at lunch, take the stairs etc . When back at home involve the kids in fun activities or while doing chores etc do lunges while holding laundry basket etc. Before you know it you've gotten an hour in without shaking up too much of your routine.
  • althea5883
    althea5883 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    jul_ohare wrote: »
    I would love someone to touch base with at 5 am so I would make sure I get up and workout before getting ready for work. I too have to arrive at 7 am

I'm just leaving the gym at 5am. If you want I can send you a quick message to see that you're going :)

Becca

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Fit some extra in while doing chores. I always have 2 or more spare bottles laundry detergent, so while I am waiting for the spin cycle to end, I get some upper body work done. When picking up, use good form and do squats. It actually saves your back and works the legs.
  • pandapotlovebug
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    I work Fri, Sat,Sun.
    I get up at 4.15am every second day and go to the gym for an hour before school or work.
    Now honestly I'm like the world's most laziest person. If I can do it, you definitely can.

Haha I barely have time for that. :-) I'm not the neatest energetic mom .
  • pandapotlovebug
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Fit some extra in while doing chores. I always have 2 or more spare bottles laundry detergent, so while I am waiting for the spin cycle to end, I get some upper body work done. When picking up, use good form and do squats. It actually saves your back and works the legs.
    Great idea!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Just have one of them sit on your shoulders while you plank. . . . .
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I've recently started walking around my parking garage over lunch. According to my Fitbit, I can burn 85 calories in about 15 minutes and I got in over 10,000 steps before I even left for the day!
  • CoachKane
    CoachKane Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Find a program that is already planned out so you know what you need to do ahead of time and one that takes only 25-30 minutes to complete at home. Also one that is fun and you would like to do. I know many parents that are able to get their kids involved too and that makes it fun for them as well. I've ran some fit clubs as early as 5 AM and those were the times when we had the most participation because the mom's could get out of the house while the kids are still in bed and the husband hadn't left for work yet, you can do the same thing at home. You can also form or join a private exercise group on Facebook or Google Plus to help you with accountability and inspiration, I host them all the time and they really make a difference in helping folks stick with their workouts and get results that last.
  • CoachKane
    CoachKane Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    I work Fri, Sat,Sun.

Haha I barely have time for that. :-) I'm not the neatest energetic mom .

You can do it!