Quinoa, Edamame and Feta Cheese Salad

Options
mygnsac
mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
edited August 2015 in Recipes
This has been one of my favorite salads this summer. I took it to a 4th of July party and it was a big hit.

Ingredients
  • Edamame, shelled, fresh or frozen 1 cup
  • Quinoa, cooked 1/2 cup
  • Feta Cheese, 1/4 cup
  • Corn, 1/2 cup
  • Red Onion, small dice 1/4 cup
  • Celery, finely chopped, 1/8 cup
  • Red bell pepper, finely chopped, 1/8 cup
  • Juice of one lime, about 2 tablespoons
  • Cilantro, finely chopped 1/4 cup
  • Olive Oil, 1 tablespoon

Directions

Cook the quinoa according to package directions and let cool. Combine all ingredients into a medium bowl and mix well. Let sit in the fridge for a couple hours or more to allow the flavors to meld.

7ux5ukggoqbl.jpg

Original recipe. My only change to the original recipe is I added celery and red bell pepper.

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I love summer grain and bean salads. However, I can't cook quinoa. I'm a pretty good cook, but every time I make quinoa it is soggy and unappealing. I'd love to know the trick.
  • mygnsac
    edited August 2015
    Options
    sheldonklein, what I do is rinse the quinoa in some cold water (can sometimes be bitter if not rinsed), put it in a pot with the water (should be one part quinoa to two parts water), bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes (no moisture should remain at the bottom of the pot).

Another method I've heard of, but haven't tried yet, is to toast dry quinoa in the pot with a little olive oil for a couple minutes, then add the water, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.

I'm sure this recipe also would be good with beans, lentils, chickpeas, or another type of grain.
  • mygnsac
    Options
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Looks awesome, although I feel like it's missing some avocado. I'd also add some red wine vinegar for an extra tang.
  • mygnsac
    Options
    I'd never say no to avocado! I'm not a fan of vinegar though. Probably lots of variations that can be made to this recipe.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    How many servings is that recipe supposed to be for? I put it into the recipe creator and it came out to about 660 calories for the whole thing.
  • mygnsac
    Options
    Should be about 4 servings.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Add less water. Your quinoa will be drier. I use 1 cup quinoa to 1 3/4 water. Bring to boil. Turn down to simmer for 15. Dump it on a cookie tray when done and stick it in the fridge or freezer when you want it to cool quickly. Voila. Ready for salad in a jiffy.