Please HELP, Is this Deadlift video WRONG?

Please watch this youtube video - i am so certain that this HAS to be a squat NOT a deadlift!!!

I normally do straight leg deads with the bells in front of me and squats with the bells on the side. I was curious to find out what a regular dead looked like with bells....and well this is the first vid I looked at and it SURE looks to me like a SQUAT.

Please watch and let me know experts!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ3QwaXNJfw

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Looks like a deadlift to me. He's having to really squat down at the beginning because the DBs are so close to the floor. That makes it look like a squat in the beginning.

Most people doing dumbbell DBs won't start from the floor like that, they'll do SLDLs or RDLs with them.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    those would be like a deficit deadlift.
  • Leka1000
    Leka1000 Posts: 160 Member
    Am I okay to stick with just straight leg deadlifts and squats with dumbbells. I seriously don't see that this is a deadlift. The straighleg deadlift you can TOTALLY see the difference from a squat.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    I would just say it looks like he is going a little too low at the bottom, otherwise it is a deadlift.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    The 'Straightleg deadlift' is a Romanian Deadlift. The video is showing a standard deadlift, but he has to dip low to grab the dumbbells. Squats require the weight start elevated (at or above the shoulders). Squats and deadlifts both work the quads, but deadlifts require more hamstring and glute involvement in either form. Deadlifts also require more core strength according to many.
  • Leka1000
    I always thought deadlift is more of a bend over at the hip and squeeze up and a squat is more like sitting down into a chair and squeezing up.
    Does a reg deadlift work out more areas than a straightleg dead?
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Leka1000 wrote: »
    I always thought deadlift is more of a bend over at the hip and squeeze up and a squat is more like sitting down into a chair and squeezing up.
    Does a reg deadlift work out more areas than a straightleg dead?

No, deadlift has your hips higher than a squat but you also have bent knees. What you're describing as just bending over at the hips and squeezing up would be like a good morning but instead of the weight on your back you'd be holding it in front of you. Very similar to Romanian deadlifts just a different position for the weight.

A reg deadlift works darn near the entire body: hams, gluts, lower back, upper back, biceps, traps, core.....think the only thing it doesn't hit is the triceps and maybe the muscles in your pinky toe...(<-joke by the way)

That vid is a deadlift with dumbbells. Only reason he's going so low as compared to a barbell deadlift is the circumference of the dumbbells is less than a regular oly plate.

SonyaCele is correct it's more like a deficit deadlift than anything else.

• Leka1000
    Does anybody have an excellent video that shows regular deadlift and a squat with dumbbells???? Thank you.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    I'd call that a dumbbell squat. The high torso angle and low hips are closer to a squat.

• DopeItUp
    Does anybody have an excellent video that shows regular deadlift and a squat with dumbbells???? Thank you.

There's many different ways to squat or deadlift with dumbell. Pick one that you like and just do it. Or do some/all of them.
  • Leka1000
    I want to know the best one with the best results!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member

What kind of results are you looking for?
  • DopeItUp

The bests results for what?
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Looks more like the pull for a clean or snatch more so than a "powerlifting" deadlift.

And to say it again. What best result? You should use the right tool for the job, but you gotta know what the job is first.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    look up bret contreras videos
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Wait, deadlift without a barbell... That must be wrong.
  • Leka1000
    Cherimoose wrote: »

What kind of results are you looking for?
    Help strengthen core to look flatter, firm up back of thighs to reduce cellulite.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    the one that you actually do and stick with consistently is the one with the highest success rate.
  • Leka1000
    JoRocka wrote: »
    the one that you actually do and stick with consistently is the one with the highest success rate.
    Alrighty then! I like the straight leg deadlift with dumbbells the best. When I do get to the gym I plan to use a bar for them though....(I cannot go to the gym yet because no babysitter or extra money for one....)