Weight loss after a break up

Options
Recently my ex and myself ended a 7 year relationship. Its been just over a week now and so far I have already lost 5kg's. I struggle and still struggle to eat but hey life goes on. How much have you lost after a breakup/loss?

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Hi

I feel for you. I broke up a 7 year relationship a few years ago and found it difficult to eat. It was mostly due to the guilt of being the one to end it- but it was for the best as we had grown apart. I lost about 20lbs in total in 6 months which is alot for a petite 5ft girl. I lost my Mum a year ago and went through the same thing.

I would'nt worry about it too much- you can always gain weight at a later date. My advice is to accept your feelings and know that they will pass. Things do get much better.
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I broke up my love affair with my couch a year and a half ago. Does that count? :D
  • Newshi2k
    Newshi2k Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was actually gonna ask something similar to this. Broke up with my girl about 1 month ago and have been losing around 7-10lbs/week. My question is more along the lines of how long will the motivation last and if something like this works so well should I keep using it? Honestly, just jumping on Facebook and seeing her profile is enough to send me to the gym 2-3 times a day. But how long will this work and is it gonna eventually drive me crazy?
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately guys, losing weight is not going to change the fact that the break up happened. It is highly unlikely that they will see you have physically changed and want to get back together with you, as most break up happens for reasons that are completely unrelated to what you look like. And, if it was a break up based on what you look like, then why would you want to be with that person?

If it is motivating you, then use it; however, if you're stalking your ex on FB and checking up on their profiles then that is some negative behaviour completely independent of weight loss and fitness and could in its own right send you crazy.

Break ups suck, but it does get better :) And looking good is a hell of a confidence booster!
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    This weight loss was exactly what I needed but I feel like its going to chew into my gainz!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Normally, I use a break up as a motivation to get back to the gym so usually lose a bit, but mostly just improve my fitness. This is the first time I've managed to motivate myself without having that as a kick-up-the-bum to sort my life out.

For me though, it wasn't so much the breakup, but more the extra free time I had which made me think about what I really wanted to be doing with my time. Making the best of myself and my body or having a new goal to shoot for was usually where I channelled my energy, and it has always seemed productive for me - I ran my first half marathon whilst suffering a break up! As long as you do it for you and not to get that person back or anything like that, I say take that negative energy and get rid of the frustration, anger and upset in a positive way.
    JcMey3r wrote: »
    This weight loss was exactly what I needed but I feel like its going to chew into my gainz!

So, basically, get back to the gym! You'll love it, trust me :smiley:
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    That was my problem in the relationship, I didn't focus on myself....I mainly focused on her. Now its time to focus on me.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    30 years ago when I got divorced, I was so emotionally wrought for quite a while that I could barely swallow. At one point, I got to 93 pounds. Eventually, I got on with my life. My BF and I occasionally joke that we should break up for a while because losing weight is so easy when you are emotionally devastated, but then we remember what that pain feels like and hope never to go there again.
  • MysticalT
    MysticalT Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I broke up with my ex of 13 years and went from a size 16/18 to a 10 in a year. I didn't do it because I missed him or wanted him back, I did it because I wanted to lose weight for myself and not having to eat his takeaways and having to stay in the house all day meant that my weight dropped quite dramatically at first. We have kids so it was inevitable that he would still see me, in fact he stalked me for a couple of years! Even at a size 10 he kept calling me a fat *bleep*. Eventually it just made me smile.

He eventually moved on 5 years later and in the 6th year (this year) he died from a heart attack at 45. Now I sit and wonder if, had we stayed to together and I had continued with the unhealthy lifestyle that we lived, could that have been me?

Whatever you do with your health / life it has to be for you and no-one else. Yes the sudden and dramatic weight loss feels great but the lack of nutrients your body is getting from you eating so little is not going to help you in the long run and eventually the weight will stop dropping so quickly.

Health isn't just about the scales and what you eat it's also about the mind and the soul. Sod the ex, they are an ex for a reason and no amount of dropping weight is going to change that (and if it does then it isn't a healthy relationship to be in anyway). Yes it can suck (in my case I was glad to get out) and it takes a strong mind to move forward and get through the changes in lifestyle etc but we can all get there a day at a time.

It is as you said, 'life goes on' and it does. Which direction it goes in is down to you, don't let an ex influence that direction it has to be your choice and for you.
  • micmurphy83
    micmurphy83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I broke up my love affair with my couch a year and a half ago. Does that count? :D
    Nice
  • Haleycz496
    Haleycz496 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    JcMey3r wrote: »
    That was my problem in the relationship, I didn't focus on myself....I mainly focused on her. Now its time to focus on me.

Do it for yourself... Not for her. And make sure you do it in a healthy way. When you adopt a healthy lifestyle, not only will you see physical changes, but your mind will become healthier.