Size going down but not the scale, how long to wait?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been dieting and exercising for 7 weeks now.

Female, 270lbs (19 stone), 5ft 6".

First month I lost 7lbs, slower than I would like but still okay, so I upped my exercise.

This month I've stayed the same so far. I've been going to the gym twice a week and doing a long mountain bike trail ride at the weekends. I wear a heart rate monitor, so my calorie burn is realistic. 1.5hrs cardio in the gym, dripping with sweat and 500-600 calorie burn, 1.5hr mountain bike, also very hard (at my weight) 650-800 calories, depending how often we stop. I think that's accurate enough.

My diet is set to 1400 calories a day, I sometimes go over, but no more than 1500 per week, so I should still be losing 1.5lbs or even 1 lb would be fine.

So, am I gaining some muscle? I eat my exercise calories, so my net is still to lose 2lbs a week.

Help! My clothes feel better, I'm fitter and happier, I just would really like to see some progress on the scale considering how heavy I am.

I have a food scale, I use it.. I weigh and log everything. I've tried a cheat meal, I drink 2-3 litres a day.

Am I fooling myself and need to eat less, or is this normal because of the exercise?

Replies

• Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    May be water retention? Give it a little more time I think especially if your feeling the difference, something must be right :) losing 7lb a month is a huge achievement by the way so well done!!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You may be eating back too many exercise calories. The estimated calorie burns on MFP tend to be high. Some users recommend that you only eat back 50% of the exercise calories.

My scale weight is all over the place. I only do an "official" weigh-in once every two weeks for my records and to make sure that my weight is trending downward. The trend is what's important, not the specific weight from day-to-day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention, due to increase in exercise can mask a loss. If you're positive your logging is accurate, wait it out and it will come.
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. Just so hard not seeing it on the scale :(

My clothes are much looser and I feel slimmer, just feel like nothing is budging.. I'll keep going, make double sure my calories in are correct and wait it out.

Thanks for the support!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,620 Member
    Options
    Versacam wrote: »

My clothes are much looser and I feel slimmer, just feel like nothing is budging.. I'll keep going, make double sure my calories in are correct and wait it out.

Thanks for the support!

But...something IS budging. Your size! I know it helps to see the number on the scale go down but what's more important? A number or you having to shell out for smaller sized clothing?

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Thanks for the support!

But...something IS budging. Your size! I know it helps to see the number on the scale go down but what's more important? A number or you having to shell out for smaller sized clothing?

This! I care more about physically feeling better and my clothes becoming baggy than a number on the scale! Take measurements as well, and photos.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    versacam (OP) says:

"My clothes feel better, I'm fitter and happier..."

I submit that we have a winner, now and in progress.
  • lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You may be eating more than you think and not realizing it try getting a food scale. I started myfitnesspal May 31st. 168 pounds 5'5 and 23 years old. Now today I am 155 pounds and 2 sizes down. I don't exercise either so if you really pay attention to your calories you should definitely see results soon.
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Everything you have written could have been written by me (except the cycling, I walk instead). :)

I lost my first 20+ lbs last year by eating at a deficit and walking. I started up again last month after a break and am lifting heavy weights at the gym this time along with eating at a deficit.

The scale hasn't budged for 10 days and my loss is slower this time however I feel fitter and have dropped a trouser size. Today I spent time convincing myself that the scale isn't always everything and I'm obviously progressing if my clothing size is going down.

So, long story short, you're progressing in different ways - your health is improving and you're getting smaller. Focus on those and you'll do just fine! ❤
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Take measurements, track non-scale victories. You have much to be proud of! There are many people out there who start their journey and end up very fit and in shape, very lean and they can actually weigh more than they may have in the past when they were not quite as fit. The scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity.
  • Versacam
    Options
    Yes, you are all correct, thank you :)

I've worked so hard at the gym and getting out on my bike at the weekends, I guess I just expected more.. although I am surprised at how quickly my clothes are feeling loose!

It's shocking how few calories a hard workout actually burns, but I do think it's toning me up really well.. gonna have killer legs by the end of it all!

I've measured before, but as I'm so lumpy, I'm not convinced I will be measuring in the same place next time. :/

I will just keep going, I already use a food scale for everything, even sauces, butter on a knife.. everything.. so I will buckle down this week and just make 100% sure I'm doing it right and really hoping things carry on going down...
  • Versacam
    Options
    Jillish23 wrote: »
    Everything you have written could have been written by me (except the cycling, I walk instead). :)

I lost my first 20+ lbs last year by eating at a deficit and walking. I started up again last month after a break and am lifting heavy weights at the gym this time along with eating at a deficit.

The scale hasn't budged for 10 days and my loss is slower this time however I feel fitter and have dropped a trouser size. Today I spent time convincing myself that the scale isn't always everything and I'm obviously progressing if my clothing size is going down.

So, long story short, you're progressing in different ways - your health is improving and you're getting smaller. Focus on those and you'll do just fine! ❤

It's hard isn't it.. if I didn't exercise I'd be lighter now.. but not as fit, and probably not as physically small either!

Still, a lifetime of checking the scale is a hard habit to break!
  • Versacam
    Options
    aledba wrote: »
    Take measurements, track non-scale victories. You have much to be proud of! There are many people out there who start their journey and end up very fit and in shape, very lean and they can actually weigh more than they may have in the past when they were not quite as fit. The scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity.

Thanks, that's so nice of you to say.

& thanks to everyone else for your positive vibes too.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Thanks for the support!

So much this! A number on the scale is something only you can see. Everyone else sees the outside of you and it's what really matters, not some silly number. Isn't losing inches more important?
  • Versacam
    Options
    It is.. but, I'm worried that I'm fooling myself or something stupid. With the scale, it's there to see.

I guess it's just validating that it's all working.

When I look at the weight log on an app I use, there is a definite downward trend, I just stress about it and worry I'm not doing it right.

I'm just being impatient really.. at 270lbs I just want it gone.. :'(
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    There is a very useful term i learned in the MFP community: "NSV" or "non-scale victory".

My reason for wanting to lose weight is not because of the number on the scale. My motivation is to feel better, to be better able to undertake activities i used to enjoy, to have a quality of life, and to be living mindfully.

Learning to properly frame the number on the scale as a useful general metric among many others has been a great psychological help. Even when the number seems to fluctuate, or go down too slowly, i feel the fit in my clothes, i get comments from friends, family, and colleagues, i can push my exercise a bit harder. I can be proud that i'm taking control of my habits.

The number on the scale is ultimately a small part of how i gauge my success.
  • thequarupleb
    thequarupleb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So, am I gaining some muscle?

My clothes feel better, I'm fitter and happier

if I didn't exercise I'd be lighter now.. but not as fit, and probably not as physically small either!

It's shocking how few calories a hard workout actually burns.

gonna have killer legs by the end of it all!

I thought I'd quote a few of the things you've posted here, just to point out some of the not-necessarily-intuitive things about starting to exercise. It is a long and slow process and it may be a few years of steady effort before you reach your goal. And to say that yes - you are most likely gaining muscle. If you're paying attention to diet and doing your exercise then you're headed the right way.

In fact, one of the best ways to increase your long-term weight loss is to do strength training. Not only is muscle more compact, it takes burns more calories, increasing your resting metabolic rate. The main "problem" is that you'll likely put on a few pounds of muscle in the process.

As a 5'7" guy, I've been 165 lbs of nearly lean muscle (5 years ago and ~15% body fat), and 165 when not working out (dropped 10lbs without working out, so a lot of muscle loss - probably closer to ~25% BF) and let me tell you - there is a world of difference. Now I'm back to ~180 and it's not muscle. I need to work on my fitness.

Now, I just have to take my own advice and start exercising more....

Keep up the good work!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If I understand correctly, you started 7 weeks ago. Lost 7 pounds in the first month, and nothing since which means no weight lost in the past 2.5 weeks? Could easily be water retention covering the scale difference, due to muscle repair, hormones/TOM, sodium, etc. Give it more time. You'll likely see a whoosh on the scale soon.
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It is.. but, I'm worried that I'm fooling myself or something stupid. With the scale, it's there to see.

I guess it's just validating that it's all working.

When I look at the weight log on an app I use, there is a definite downward trend, I just stress about it and worry I'm not doing it right.

I'm just being impatient really.. at 270lbs I just want it gone.. :'(

Again, you're thinking the exact same worries that I'm fighting with just now so I really do feel for you. How about filling in the body measurements on the MFP app so you'll see a downward trend there? I hadn't actually considered this for myself until I wrote this post! :D
  • Versacam
    Options
    I'm going to do more weight training in the gym. Ironically I was avoiding it as I know it can cause some weight gain with water/muscle etc.. but it seems cardio has done that anyhow, so I have nothing to lose. (apart from the 100lbs of course). :D

Jillish - I'm going to do that, not even sure I knew it existed, so thanks for pointing that out!

Weight loss was 4.5lbs first week, then 1lb or so for the 2nd and 3rd week, nothing for 4 weeks, but I've been doing the mountain biking for the last 4 weeks and it is the hardest exercise I've done in along time. Steep hills, all off-road, and at my weight it's hard work, especially since I try and go as fast as I can to keep up with my 140 lb boyfriend.

TOM was last week, gained 2.5, lost 2.5, so I don't think it's that.

Must be water rention, I exercise Tues/Thur/Sat, so the water weight never has much of a chance to go.

I'm lucky that I love exercise, so I really want to increase it rather than reduce it. I'm sure it'll all come together.