Nervous about trying free weights?

Options
Hello!

I've been going to the gym pretty regularly for the past couple weeks, however as for machines the gym I belong to doesn't have some that hit all the muscle groups I'd like to work on. So, I'm thinking about trying free weights, but I have existing back issues that have been pretty dormant, but will get back quickly if I do something wrong.

Any tips? Should I just stay where I am?

Replies

• lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you have back issues and this is an option, I would consider hiring a pt, at least for a few times to show you the proper form
  • megaiken92
    megaiken92 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's an option! I haven't seen it advertised anywhere but it may be. Thanks. :)
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    If you have back issues and this is an option, I would consider hiring a pt, at least for a few times to show you the proper form

I second this.
    With an existing condition it is too big a risk for us to advice you since that could go completely wrong.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    cosign this
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Find a structured program and starting with really light weights is helpful. Also, spend the time to work on form. And if there is a PT, then you can ask them to evaluate your form
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Do any free weights at a gym long enough and some bro will correct your form...j/k. Anyways. Focus on execution over weight at first. Check out exrx.net for some exercises with gifs of them done properly. If you can't afford a PT or don't have access to one at your gym, which would of course be ideal, then you can video yourself running through your exercises and compare your form to the gifs on the website. Also, depending on what gym you go to be careful with what they might pass off as a PT. My sister went to a major discount gym that will remain unnamed, and her "training session" involved handing her a generic list of exercises, and a single pass through every piece of equipment showing her how to use them. I went with her as a guest once, and discovered that at least 3 pieces of equipment had been demoed to her incorrectly.
  • megaiken92
    Options
    jchite84 wrote: »
    Do any free weights at a gym long enough and some bro will correct your form...j/k. Anyways. Focus on execution over weight at first. Check out exrx.net for some exercises with gifs of them done properly. If you can't afford a PT or don't have access to one at your gym, which would of course be ideal, then you can video yourself running through your exercises and compare your form to the gifs on the website. Also, depending on what gym you go to be careful with what they might pass off as a PT. My sister went to a major discount gym that will remain unnamed, and her "training session" involved handing her a generic list of exercises, and a single pass through every piece of equipment showing her how to use them. I went with her as a guest once, and discovered that at least 3 pieces of equipment had been demoed to her incorrectly.

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to the gym after work tonight so I'll ask about PT, but I don't think they offer any. I've been told by a friend who's a trained PT to be wary of a lot in our city too - a lot should apparently be considered more as salespeople than trainers.

I'll check out that website too!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Mike Matthews site muscleforlife.com and his book.
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/thinner-leaner-stronger/

My girlfriend and I are using this program which really cuts out the bs and works great. He is a big advocate for free weights and will help you with specific workouts.

Good luck!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    A lot will depend on what you mean by bad back. I had a bad back for years and it turns out that it was just weak. I now love squats and deadlifts and my back is fine with them. Figure out what your back problem is first then make a plan.

If you do use free weights be very selective in choosing a PT. Not all can teach free weights correctly.

If you go it alone with video of your form and YouTube I would suggest the Starting Strength book or e-book add it is extensively researched and detailed when it comes to compound lifts. They're is also a companion dvd or you can find a lot of demos form the author Mark Rippetoe. The book is long but worth reading.

Good luck and just remember there is no problem with starting light.
  • megaiken92
    Options
    Thanks for the comment. :) I've had chronic sciatica since I was 19 (around 4 years) and am finally getting it under control with building a strong core - so I haven't had any pain from that in around a month! A huge accomplishment for me. My physiotherapist had said that once I feel more comfortable to give more weights a try, but I guess I'm just worried. As I stated above, too, I've been told to be wary of the PT's in my area. Thanks for suggesting another resource to look at. :)
  • ghartleroad1
    ghartleroad1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I too have had ongoing back pain due to an injury at least 6 years ago. My core was always strong and I've made it even stronger (I'd even guess "ripped" under my little bit of remaining fat). Anyway, I had the same concerns as you. I have an acquaintance who is a competitive weightlifter (not bodybuilder) and I finally gave into his offer to introduce me to it.

He was great at demonstration, instruction, noting needed form changes, etc. Like everyone else said, get good form instruction and work to perfect that first, even if it's with 1lb weights! Within a month I'm already deadlifting 60lb - an exercise that looks like will kill your back. But it really doesn't use much of your back at all if you do it right. My rule is if I feel like I'm using my back to lift instead of the intended muscles I stop or go to a lower weight. Period.

You really do engage your core to keep the body balanced in lifting, something I didn't really understand until I started doing it - & why it's so much more effective than the machine (which I'd prefer). Honestly my back feels BETTER when I'm done lifting because I'm working it to be stronger. Good luck!
  • megaiken92
    Options
    I too have had ongoing back pain due to an injury at least 6 years ago. My core was always strong and I've made it even stronger (I'd even guess "ripped" under my little bit of remaining fat). Anyway, I had the same concerns as you. I have an acquaintance who is a competitive weightlifter (not bodybuilder) and I finally gave into his offer to introduce me to it.

He was great at demonstration, instruction, noting needed form changes, etc. Like everyone else said, get good form instruction and work to perfect that first, even if it's with 1lb weights! Within a month I'm already deadlifting 60lb - an exercise that looks like will kill your back. But it really doesn't use much of your back at all if you do it right. My rule is if I feel like I'm using my back to lift instead of the intended muscles I stop or go to a lower weight. Period.

You really do engage your core to keep the body balanced in lifting, something I didn't really understand until I started doing it - & why it's so much more effective than the machine (which I'd prefer). Honestly my back feels BETTER when I'm done lifting because I'm working it to be stronger. Good luck!

THANK YOU! You're inspiring. :)

• psuLemon
    Options
    megaiken92 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comment. :) I've had chronic sciatica since I was 19 (around 4 years) and am finally getting it under control with building a strong core - so I haven't had any pain from that in around a month! A huge accomplishment for me. My physiotherapist had said that once I feel more comfortable to give more weights a try, but I guess I'm just worried. As I stated above, too, I've been told to be wary of the PT's in my area. Thanks for suggesting another resource to look at. :)

While, I didn't have it as long as you, I found that two major things helped with my sciatic issues: 1. foam rolling/flexibility and 2. building a solid core. It's been about 2 years since I have had any issues. But form and flexibility are working wonders.
  • megaiken92
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

While, I didn't have it as long as you, I found that two major things helped with my sciatic issues: 1. foam rolling/flexibility and 2. building a solid core. It's been about 2 years since I have had any issues. But form and flexibility are working wonders.

Yes! I've been working on my core more than anything, really, and have gotten into doing yoga some mornings. It's made a world of difference.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yes! I've been working on my core more than anything, really, and have gotten into doing yoga some mornings. It's made a world of difference.

Try a foam roller too. That is what has made the world of difference for me.. even though, every time I use it, I cry.

• megaiken92
    Options

Try a foam roller too. That is what has made the world of difference for me.. even though, every time I use it, I cry.

Wow that's really encouraging, the crying part.

Haha. I'll check it out though.